Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-11-11, 09:44 PM   #1
Collin2424
Beach-Bound
Thread Starter
 
Collin2424's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Bay Area, California
Bikes:
Posts: 650
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Campy Triple Derailleur Work on a Compact Double?

I know this seems like a dumb question and I can understand how a derailleur designed for a double can't work on a triple, but what about the other way around? I bought a Centaur Triple front derailleur and I've changed my mind for cranksets. I want to use a compact double, so can this derailleur work for me? Will I see any disadvantages?

Thanks a million for saving me from my own second-guessing!

-Collin-
Collin2424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-11, 11:04 PM   #2
fietsbob 
coprolite
 
fietsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Bikes: 7
Posts: 22,205
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Triple and compact double FD have a deeper back plate, to work with 10 +

tooth/radius differences.. in that they are similar.

Campag specific , brand new stuff, your guess good as mine,
the 80's wide step doubles work as well on triples.

ran a wide step in the 80s,52/36, used the common road double FD back then.. younger lighter and stronger.

Buy it and report.

Last edited by fietsbob; 01-13-11 at 11:43 AM.
fietsbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-11, 11:13 PM   #3
FBinNY 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: New Rochelle, NY
Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter
Posts: 30,891
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Think about this for a moment. You have a triple crank and FD, but rarely use the granny.

Now that you've answered the basic question for yourself, there may be complications like chain line, outer chainring maximum size, and a few other details which might affect performance. But in most cases yes a triple FD can handle double chainrings.
__________________
FB
Chain-L site

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
FBinNY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-11, 07:55 AM   #4
HillRider 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Bikes: '''96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '12 Surly Pacer, All are 3x8,9 or 10. It is hilly around here!
Posts: 29,121
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post
Older stuff: Triomphe/Victory Leisure , made for a wider double, of that era.
I use on my Campag race triple 50/40/24, .. bar end shifters..
That's helpful, isn't it? A cryptic answer unrelated to the question the OP asked. Of course it will work with barend shifters. Anything will.

To the OP: what shifters are you using? If they are 2006 or earlier or 2009 or newer Ergos, you should be fine as the front shifting is more a ratchet than true indexing and you can trim the fd at will. If your brifters are 2007-2008 Centaur with the "Escape" and "QS" mechanism, they should still work the trim options are more limited.
HillRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-11, 10:40 AM   #5
DaveSSS
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Loveland, CO
Bikes: Two LOOK 585s, one KG461
Posts: 4,987
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, it will work, but not the greatest, due to the chainline difference and chainring size difference. I did this once, just as an experiment. IIRC, it required a lot of clicks due to the wider cage. You should notice it most when shifting from the little ring to the big ring. A triple's big ring is positioned at least 5mm further to the right than a double and the FD is made to handle the extra travel to the right.

A new compact FD that only require 3 clicks would be a far better choice.
DaveSSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-11, 10:43 AM   #6
Collin2424
Beach-Bound
Thread Starter
 
Collin2424's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Bay Area, California
Bikes:
Posts: 650
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HillRider View Post
That's helpful, isn't it? A cryptic answer unrelated to the question the OP asked. Of course it will work with barend shifters. Anything will.

To the OP: what shifters are you using? If they are 2006 or earlier or 2009 or newer Ergos, you should be fine as the front shifting is more a ratchet than true indexing and you can trim the fd at will. If your brifters are 2007-2008 Centaur with the "Escape" and "QS" mechanism, they should still work the trim options are more limited.
Thank you for the information. The shifters are 2010 Veloce and the FD is a Centaur 10-speed. So, it sounds like I should be okay.

Honestly, the QS or non-QS, along with "Escape" really confuses me. I am sure there is a place where I can read about the differences, but it's tough to grasp at first. Anyway, thanks!

-Collin-
Collin2424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-11, 10:59 AM   #7
DaveSSS
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Loveland, CO
Bikes: Two LOOK 585s, one KG461
Posts: 4,987
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
QS is only a reduction in the dead travel from the left finger lever. All current shifters have it, even though it's no longer worth advertising. The escape shifters have a limited-function thumb button that can only shift one cog smaller at a time and limitations on the FD shifting. Centaur and lower level from '07-'08 had this mechanism and now a similar mechanism (powershift) is being used on 2011 Athena and below.
DaveSSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-11, 12:03 PM   #8
Collin2424
Beach-Bound
Thread Starter
 
Collin2424's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Bay Area, California
Bikes:
Posts: 650
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSSS View Post
QS is only a reduction in the dead travel from the left finger lever. All current shifters have it, even though it's no longer worth advertising. The escape shifters have a limited-function thumb button that can only shift one cog smaller at a time and limitations on the FD shifting. Centaur and lower level from '07-'08 had this mechanism and now a similar mechanism (powershift) is being used on 2011 Athena and below.
So since my shifters are most-definitely "Powershift," I'm looking at only one shift at a time from the thumb button? I wonder why that's called an "Escape" function. Really just seems like limited function compared to the other Campy shifters I have (Record 10 speed)

-Collin-
Collin2424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-11, 12:17 PM   #9
Drew Eckhardt
Senior Member
 
Drew Eckhardt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Sunnyvale, CA USA
Bikes:
Posts: 5,186
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collin2424 View Post
I know this seems like a dumb question and I can understand how a derailleur designed for a double can't work on a triple, but what about the other way around? I bought a Centaur Triple front derailleur and I've changed my mind for cranksets. I want to use a compact double, so can this derailleur work for me? Will I see any disadvantages?

Thanks a million for saving me from my own second-guessing!

-Collin-
I wouldn't bet on it. When I swapped my 50-40-30 triple for a 50-34 compact double I couldn't get my Racing-T front derailleur setup so that it could shift to the large chain ring and not drop the chain on the crank arm. The compact double front derailleur with a different (I think it was a bit narrower) cage works fine.

Last edited by Drew Eckhardt; 01-12-11 at 12:22 PM.
Drew Eckhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-11, 01:02 PM   #10
DaveSSS
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Loveland, CO
Bikes: Two LOOK 585s, one KG461
Posts: 4,987
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Do a google search on escapement mechanism. You'll get a rough idea of what it is. The principle is much different than either the ultrashift or it's predecessor.
DaveSSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-11, 02:49 PM   #11
cs1
Senior Member
 
cs1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Clev Oh
Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn
Posts: 6,705
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Eckhardt View Post
I wouldn't bet on it. When I swapped my 50-40-30 triple for a 50-34 compact double I couldn't get my Racing-T front derailleur setup so that it could shift to the large chain ring and not drop the chain on the crank arm. The compact double front derailleur with a different (I think it was a bit narrower) cage works fine.
Campy CT front derailleurs, non Record/Chorus, are pretty cheap on ebay. I can't imagine why you wouldn't to buy one. Good luck on whatever you choose.
cs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-11, 03:33 PM   #12
DaveSSS
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Loveland, CO
Bikes: Two LOOK 585s, one KG461
Posts: 4,987
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The CT specific model is not as desirable as the current CT/std models that work with either compact or standard cranks.
DaveSSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-11, 02:49 AM   #13
cs1
Senior Member
 
cs1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Clev Oh
Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn
Posts: 6,705
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSSS View Post
The CT specific model is not as desirable as the current CT/std models that work with either compact or standard cranks.
Maybe so but you can still get them from Ribble in the UK for cheaper than stateside. As far as I'm concerned it's easier and cheaper to use the correct part if available and it is. Good luck
cs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-11, 08:02 AM   #14
DaveSSS
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Loveland, CO
Bikes: Two LOOK 585s, one KG461
Posts: 4,987
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cs1 View Post
Maybe so but you can still get them from Ribble in the UK for cheaper than stateside. As far as I'm concerned it's easier and cheaper to use the correct part if available and it is. Good luck
The new CT/std FD is the correct part. The CT specific model was dropped several years ago. It does not work as well as the latest model.

Yes, you can buy all Campy parts cheaper from the UK.
DaveSSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-11, 05:40 AM   #15
cs1
Senior Member
 
cs1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Clev Oh
Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn
Posts: 6,705
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSSS View Post
The new CT/std FD is the correct part. The CT specific model was dropped several years ago. It does not work as well as the latest model.

Yes, you can buy all Campy parts cheaper from the UK.
Even the old QS version is available for $25 - $35 on ebay. Sell the old triple to help defray the cost if money is a problem.
cs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:33 PM.