Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-23-11, 07:03 PM   #1
FastJake
Constant tinkerer
Thread Starter
 
FastJake's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Madison, Wisconsin
Bikes:
Posts: 7,574
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Why does my Mavic Cosmic wheel have holes drilled in it???

I bought a Mavic Cosmic Expert tubular wheel on ebay, and it just arrived today. It rides great, but one thing is bothering me. It has 4 holes drilled in the rim, spaced 180 degrees from eachother. Two on one side and two on the other. The pairs of holes are 90 degrees off. Is this normal? Should I send it back?



(Sorry for the terrible picture quality)
FastJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-11, 09:20 PM   #2
TLCFORBIKES
Senior Member
 
TLCFORBIKES's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Raleigh NC
Bikes: 1983 Gureciotti/full SR 2002 Casati Record 10 speed 1995 Colnago C40 2007 Sram Rival 2006 Isaac Sram Force 2000 DEAN Ti DA 10 speed 1987 Schwinn Prologue Funny Bike 2001 Pinarello DA 9 speed 2008 Element6 Record 10speed Origin8 Lutegra10speed
Posts: 324
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am not sure of the "official' reason but it does allow water to escape.
TLCFORBIKES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-11, 09:25 PM   #3
Mr. Fly
Senior Member
 
Mr. Fly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Silicon Valley, CA.
Bikes:
Posts: 662
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLCFORBIKES View Post
I am not sure of the "official' reason but it does allow water to escape.
That.
Mr. Fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-11, 09:49 PM   #4
Burton
Certified Bike Brat
 
Burton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Bikes:
Posts: 4,251
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Rats - now I feel cheated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastJake View Post
I bought a Mavic Cosmic Expert tubular wheel on ebay, and it just arrived today. It rides great, but one thing is bothering me. It has 4 holes drilled in the rim, spaced 180 degrees from eachother. Two on one side and two on the other. The pairs of holes are 90 degrees off. Is this normal? Should I send it back?



(Sorry for the terrible picture quality)
My Cosmic Elites only have one hole per side - two per rim. But these are ten years old - looks like you got the new, improved model!

No idea - I always assumed it was part of the manufacturing process - maybe to equalize pressure when the rims were welded up. Of course that can`t be true because the one in your photo is right beside the weld line.

But mine have worked just fine so you should assume yours will too.
Burton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-11, 09:57 PM   #5
FastJake
Constant tinkerer
Thread Starter
 
FastJake's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Madison, Wisconsin
Bikes:
Posts: 7,574
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burton View Post
My Cosmic Elites only have one hole per side - two per rim. But these are ten years old - looks like you got the new, improved model!

No idea - I always assumed it was part of the manufacturing process - maybe to equalize pressure when the rims were welded up. Of course that can`t be true because the one in your photo is right beside the weld line.

But mine have worked just fine so you should assume yours will too.
Cool, thanks everyone. I'll stop worrying now.

That's actually not a weld line, but just some goo overflow from the decal. Better pull out the drill so you can keep up with me! Haha. 4 holes per side should do it.
FastJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-11, 11:10 PM   #6
Burton
Certified Bike Brat
 
Burton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Bikes:
Posts: 4,251
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
He who has the most holes wins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastJake View Post
Cool, thanks everyone. I'll stop worrying now.

That's actually not a weld line, but just some goo overflow from the decal. Better pull out the drill so you can keep up with me! Haha. 4 holes per side should do it.
So looks like you`re out in front and I`m feeling too unmotivated to play catch-up!

Just out of curiousity I`d like you to double check that joint though. Agreed there are cheap flashy stickers on the rims, but its a circular cutout around the yellow `Mavic` balloon and what I`m seeing in your photo is a vertical line. The rims are welded and then the braking area is CNC machined, but the rest of the joint isn`t smoothed out at all and I`m sure thats what I`m looking at. And mine are the same too.

Nice wheels!
Burton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-11, 12:13 PM   #7
GRedner
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brookline, MA
Bikes:
Posts: 514
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Speed holes!
GRedner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-11, 08:37 PM   #8
Mr. Fly
Senior Member
 
Mr. Fly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Silicon Valley, CA.
Bikes:
Posts: 662
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burton View Post
No idea - I always assumed it was part of the manufacturing process - maybe to equalize pressure when the rims were welded up.
Well, if that's the concern, then the spoke holes should do a much better job!

FWIW, my deep Campagnolo rims have those holes as well, although maybe not that big.
Mr. Fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-11, 09:00 PM   #9
Grimlock
Frozen in carbonite
 
Grimlock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Ottawa
Bikes: '85 Full Cycle Cycle.
Posts: 805
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I hopes that's jokes, Monsieur Fly. Everyone and their grandmother should know spoke holes are drilled afterward.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by sp00ki View Post
Using a nicer sealed bearing headset vs a $10 set is like throwing a frisbee vs a dodgeball.
Grimlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:34 AM.