Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-23-11, 07:41 PM   #1
DGonzalez
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 117
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How do I measure seatpost setback?

I want to get a new seatpost and need to know how much setback mine currently has.
How do I measure the current setback?
Thanks.
David
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1690.jpg (96.4 KB, 21 views)
DGonzalez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-11, 08:05 PM   #2
Lawrence08648
Advisor
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Central New Jersey
Bikes:
Posts: 544
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Center of the post to the center of the clamping mechanism.
Lawrence08648 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-11, 08:44 PM   #3
fietsbob 
coprolite
 
fietsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Bikes: 7
Posts: 18,766
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
front is a plumb/ vertical line, thru the BB axis,
that way you Include the seat tube angle too..
fietsbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-11, 11:14 AM   #4
DGonzalez
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 117
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, here is the new dilemma. Now, I know my setback - around 16mm. But I checked the website for Thomson Elite and the one that I need- 27.2mm X 250mm has to be outside of the seat tube for at least 97.5mm.

I measured mine last night and it is only out of the seat tube about 90mm. I can't go any higher. That is as high as my short legs can take it.

I really want to buy a Thomson but I can't tell from the straight seatpost measurements if it would allow me enough fore/aft movement to accommodate my current saddle.

What do you think? Will the straight Thomson Elite 27.2mm X 250mm work for me? The Thomson rep referred me to the diagram on the website but that does not help me.

Thanks in advance.
David
DGonzalez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-11, 12:31 PM   #5
MileHighMark
Old. Slow. Happy.
 
MileHighMark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Boulder County, CO
Bikes:
Posts: 1,798
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence08648 View Post
Center of the post to the center of the clamping mechanism.
That method doesn't take into account the fore/aft size of the clamp. Some posts have very short clamps, so you get more effective setback.
MileHighMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-11, 12:45 PM   #6
fietsbob 
coprolite
 
fietsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Bikes: 7
Posts: 18,766
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Forget Thomson, is what you should do, they only make a zero setback post,
Then bend the shaft instead, to get some..

since 27.2 is very common, there are abundant other choices.
American classic are nice,,

Race Face has a nice post, clamps the rails from the sides ,
so newer, low profile race saddles work.
and as the clearance under the saddle bottom side, above the rails,
becomes an issue..
some saddles bottom out on the top of the seatpost.
so you cannot use the front part of the rails..

Want oodles of setback? this is a winner ..
http://www.rivbike.com/products/show...x-250mm/11-048

Last edited by fietsbob; 02-24-11 at 04:30 PM.
fietsbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-11, 03:59 PM   #7
tru
Senior Member
 
tru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Bikes:
Posts: 105
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGonzalez View Post
So, here is the new dilemma. Now, I know my setback - around 16mm. But I checked the website for Thomson Elite and the one that I need- 27.2mm X 250mm has to be outside of the seat tube for at least 97.5mm.

I measured mine last night and it is only out of the seat tube about 90mm. I can't go any higher. That is as high as my short legs can take it.

I really want to buy a Thomson but I can't tell from the straight seatpost measurements if it would allow me enough fore/aft movement to accommodate my current saddle.

What do you think? Will the straight Thomson Elite 27.2mm X 250mm work for me? The Thomson rep referred me to the diagram on the website but that does not help me.

Thanks in advance.
David
how much setback do you need? what is your budget?
tru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-11, 05:16 PM   #8
DGonzalez
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 117
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't really know how much setback I need. I have attached a picture above. I believe my current setback is 16mm which I don't think is much. Now that I look at my bike I realize that the seat tube is slanted naturally. I am wondering if a straight seatpost will do as long as I can tilt it forward a bit.

I am interested in Thomson because of the ability to fine tune it.

As far as a budget, I am happy to buy used for less than a $100.
Thanks.

Last edited by DGonzalez; 02-24-11 at 05:16 PM. Reason: add words
DGonzalez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-11, 05:51 PM   #9
fietsbob 
coprolite
 
fietsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Bikes: 7
Posts: 18,766
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Many other saddle clamps may be fine tuned , 2 different screws in opposition to each other
Dozens of makers have a model thart do that.

is how many have sorted this out ,
not being a gram counter, I have a 3 piece kit on my bike,
the saddle adapter pin on top of a common seatpost , and a saddle adapter
lets me set setback as an adjustment .

the 2 parts from Brompton do this for me ..
Even of you got the premium seat pin from Rivendale.. sub $100
[Kalloy comes in $20 less]
http://www.rivbike.com/products/show...2-x-270/11-077
and the 2 other Brompton parts
http://www.foldabikes.com/CloseUp/bike/sapMain.html
http://www.foldabikes.com/PriceListH...pentaclip.html
pentaclip can be fine tuned in angle and saddle rail height , offering 2 positions.

then setback distance is an adjustment not a product choice..

Last edited by fietsbob; 02-24-11 at 06:00 PM.
fietsbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-11, 06:24 PM   #10
DGonzalez
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 117
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post
Many other saddle clamps may be fine tuned , 2 different screws in opposition to each other
Dozens of makers have a model thart do that.

is how many have sorted this out ,
not being a gram counter, I have a 3 piece kit on my bike,
the saddle adapter pin on top of a common seatpost , and a saddle adapter
lets me set setback as an adjustment .

the 2 parts from Brompton do this for me ..
Even of you got the premium seat pin from Rivendale.. sub $100
[Kalloy comes in $20 less]
http://www.rivbike.com/products/show...2-x-270/11-077
and the 2 other Brompton parts
http://www.foldabikes.com/CloseUp/bike/sapMain.html
http://www.foldabikes.com/PriceListH...pentaclip.html
pentaclip can be fine tuned in angle and saddle rail height , offering 2 positions.

then setback distance is an adjustment not a product choice..
Thanks. I never knew that existed.
DGonzalez is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:12 AM.