Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-08-11, 01:50 PM   #1
garagegirl
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 623
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
8 speed drivetrain compatibility questions

Hello all-
I'm building up a Salsa Casseroll as a commuter.

I would like to use some 8 speed spare parts I have. I have a new 8 speed chain and 11-32 Hyperglide C cassette, ultegra bar end shifters, and an old Deore XT rear derailleur. I also have a 130 bcd square taper crankset w/ a 48t ring that came with the bike.

I need a rear wheel (I will most likely use an 8/9/10 tiagra hub), crankset, front derailleur, and bottom bracket.

I would like to use the crankset and chainring and buy a 9 speed 39t ring. The 48t chainring is 3/32, but it's not pinned. How will the shifting be w/o pins and the 11-32 cassette?

Are there any other compatibilty issues that I'm going to run into with this set up?

Thanks for your help!
garagegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-11, 02:29 PM   #2
fietsbob 
coprolite
 
fietsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Bikes: 7
Posts: 19,730
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
just shift a bit late... Bar end shifters are hand operated on the left, so they work fine,
the front has no indexing 3/32 or 5,6,7, 8.. speed bushingless chain is what is for the purpose.
9 starts being too thin a gap and needs a less wide roller, pin, etc..
fietsbob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-11, 02:31 PM   #3
Al1943
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Oklahoma
Bikes: Trek 5500, Colnago C-50
Posts: 9,433
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Your question calls for a pretty subjective answer. Probably will work OK, maybe not as good as a pinned and ramped chainring.
It's not 100% clear to me what you have. Are the shifters also 8-speed? They need to be if you want to use indexed shifting.
Is it a double crankset? I'm assuming it is.
Try it and see, chainrings are relatively inexpensive.
Al1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-11, 02:57 PM   #4
garagegirl
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 623
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al1943 View Post
Your question calls for a pretty subjective answer. Probably will work OK, maybe not as good as a pinned and ramped chainring.
It's not 100% clear to me what you have. Are the shifters also 8-speed? They need to be if you want to use indexed shifting.
Is it a double crankset? I'm assuming it is.
Try it and see, chainrings are relatively inexpensive.
Yes the shifters are 8 speed, and crankset is a double. Since I also to have to buy a bb, I thought I would just put that money towards something like a 9 speed 50/34sora crankset if the shifting will be noticeably better. I guess I'm asking if the shifting will be dramatically better with a 9 speed double, or if I'll be fine with what I have

The 11-30 hyperglide c cassette shouldn't be a problem on an 8/9/10 hub, right?

Last edited by garagegirl; 03-08-11 at 03:01 PM.
garagegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-11, 02:59 PM   #5
garagegirl
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 623
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post
just shift a bit late... Bar end shifters are hand operated on the left, so they work fine,
the front has no indexing 3/32 or 5,6,7, 8.. speed bushingless chain is what is for the purpose.
9 starts being too thin a gap and needs a less wide roller, pin, etc..
So I would worse off with 9 spd chainrings, right? Will I be okay with a 9 speed inner ring or should I look for an 8?
garagegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-11, 03:33 PM   #6
Burton
Certified Bike Brat
 
Burton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Bikes:
Posts: 4,251
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Looks to be like you`re good to go with what you`ve got!

Don`t get all hung up with upgrading - you`ve got some excellent components there and some of that I`d rather have myself rather than being forced into a 10 speed system because everything else is being discontinued.
Burton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-11, 10:21 AM   #7
garagegirl
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 623
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burton View Post
Looks to be like you`re good to go with what you`ve got!

Don`t get all hung up with upgrading - you`ve got some excellent components there and some of that I`d rather have myself rather than being forced into a 10 speed system because everything else is being discontinued.
garagegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:25 AM.