Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    My Bikes
    Centurion Ironman Dave Scott
    Posts
    4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    General Compatibility Question - older bike

    Hi all,

    I have an 80's Centurion Ironman that I purchased 18 months ago. It has a hodgepodge mix of components and I am wondering from a functionality standpoint if it is sound. From reading around these forums and Sheldon Brown's website, I *think* this setup works but I would like some insight.

    Here are the specs:
    RSX Triple 8spd Shifters, Double 53 39 Chainrings, some sort of Shimano FD (sticker came off), "9 Speed" Shimano Chain, Shimano 9-speed Tiagra RD, Shimano "8 Speed" HyperGlide 13/25 Cassette (was a 9 Speed Cassette but smallest cog was removed), and a Shimano HyperGlide Freehub Body.

    How well will this perform? Are there any recommended upgrades/changes?

    -Brent
    Last edited by Amusekd; 03-24-11 at 08:53 PM. Reason: 9-speed Tiagra

  2. #2
    Senior Member Retro Grouch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    St Peters, Missouri
    My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Posts
    23,582
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So you're talking about an "8 of 9-speed" set up.

    You need a 9-speed shifter to match the 9-speed cassette spacing and I'm not so sure about the lockring staying tight against a 2nd position cog.

  3. #3
    Banned.
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,100
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    doesn't make sense to me remove the last cog when you could simply set it up normal and the last click would probably stop right at the 2nd to last cog anyways. At any rate, your probably better off just buying a new 8 speed casette and then I don't see any reason why it shouldn't perform fine for you. RD's are pretty much interchangeable, I don't know how different 8 and 9 speed casette spacing is but putting on an actual 8spd casette could only help matters. I'd probably put a new chain on at the same time the two combined would probably be about $50. It's far cheaper to do this than to get a 9speed shifter.

  4. #4
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    My Bikes
    Centurion Ironman Dave Scott
    Posts
    4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post
    So you're talking about an "8 of 9-speed" set up.

    You need a 9-speed shifter to match the 9-speed cassette spacing and I'm not so sure about the lockring staying tight against a 2nd position cog.
    Stupid of me, I forgot to mention what speed shifter I have! The Tiagra RD is a 9-speed. I was on my way out the door when I posted. Modified the original post to reflect this.

    Quote Originally Posted by motobecane69 View Post
    doesn't make sense to me remove the last cog when you could simply set it up normal and the last click would probably stop right at the 2nd to last cog anyways. At any rate, your probably better off just buying a new 8 speed casette and then I don't see any reason why it shouldn't perform fine for you.
    So its unanimous that I should just leave the last cog on the cassette. It won't hurt since the cassette with 9-cogs doesn't extend beyond the freehub.

    Thank you for the replies!

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    New Rochelle, NY
    My Bikes
    too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter
    Posts
    19,876
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I must be a bit thick, but I don't understand your post. You've been riding this bike for 18 months or so.

    Why are you asking a bunch of strangers who've never seen it to speculate on whether it'll work or not? If it's working, no need to post, if it isn't working what are the issues?

    BTW- if it is working, you can probably make it better if you throw some dough at it, but there's a limit to what you can do with a bike of it's original quality and current age. I suggest that if it works you enjoy it as is, and if thare's a particular issue you deal with it and only it before you make a decent ride into a money pit.
    FB
    Chain-L site

    An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

    “Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin

    “One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

    WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

  6. #6
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    My Bikes
    Centurion Ironman Dave Scott
    Posts
    4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FBinNY View Post
    I must be a bit thick, but I don't understand your post. You've been riding this bike for 18 months or so.

    Why are you asking a bunch of strangers who've never seen it to speculate on whether it'll work or not? If it's working, no need to post, if it isn't working what are the issues?

    BTW- if it is working, you can probably make it better if you throw some dough at it, but there's a limit to what you can do with a bike of it's original quality and current age. I suggest that if it works you enjoy it as is, and if thare's a particular issue you deal with it and only it before you make a decent ride into a money pit.
    Good question. I rode it for a few months last summer into fall, and the shifting was a little slow. Where the shift cables exit my brifters, they come out at fairly sharp angles (not flowing and rounded). When I was in my LBS at the end of riding season last year, one of the guys in the shop made that observation. I bought some new cables and housing as they look really old, and I am going to clean the bike up real nice. I am just hoping that I didn't overlook anything component-wise before I put time into it.

  7. #7
    Senior Member oldbobcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Boulder County, CO
    My Bikes
    '79 Gios, '80 Masi, '06 Felt, early '60s Frejus
    Posts
    2,455
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Amusekd View Post

    So its unanimous that I should just leave the last cog on the cassette. It won't hurt since the cassette with 9-cogs doesn't extend beyond the freehub.

    Thank you for the replies!
    !?

  8. #8
    Senior Member vredstein's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona
    My Bikes
    '02 Lemond Buenos Aires, '98 Fuji Touring w/ Shimano Nexus premium, '06 Jamis Nova 853 cross frame set up as commuter, '03 Fuji Roubaix Pro 853 back up training bike
    Posts
    701
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Amusekd View Post
    Good question. I rode it for a few months last summer into fall, and the shifting was a little slow. Where the shift cables exit my brifters, they come out at fairly sharp angles (not flowing and rounded). When I was in my LBS at the end of riding season last year, one of the guys in the shop made that observation. I bought some new cables and housing as they look really old, and I am going to clean the bike up real nice. I am just hoping that I didn't overlook anything component-wise before I put time into it.
    Just replace the cables and housings, clean everything up, relube the chain, and see how big a different that makes. While changing the cables and housings, it's a good opportunity to make sure all the settings on the derailleur are optimal. If you have significant shifting issues after that, then it may be time to think about changing components.
    "See, it's not that getting wet is a big deal. Really, it's what you're getting wet with.
    Fenders....because it's probably urine."
    Bike Snob NYC

  9. #9
    Bicycle Repair Man !!! Sixty Fiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    YEG
    My Bikes
    See my sig...
    Posts
    25,749
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Your shifters need to match the cogset... removing one cog from a 9 speed cassette and running it as an 8 speed is a cludge and won't give you optimal shifting as a 9 speed shifter pulls less cable than an 8 speed shifter.

    The derailleurs don't care how many speeds you run and 9 speed chain works fine on 8 speed blocks although 8 speed chain is much less expensive when it comes time to replace it.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    919
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Correct...you have an 8-speed shifter. Buy 8-speed or 7-speed SRAM 730/830/850 cassette. They all have the same spacing per my digital caliper. I run 730 or 830 interchangeably. Also buy the 8-speed chain, which is cheaper and last longer than 9-speed. Wait for the Nashar tandem chain to go on sale at 1/2 price, then load up. You'll pay about $7 per use. This chain is good for 4.5K miles before reaching the recommended replacement interval. The key is to keep the chain lubricated and reasonably clean. Those RSX shifters are very smooth if properly adjusted. No need to upgrade.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    1,092
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The 8-of-9 thing refers to putting 8 cogs of a 9 speed cassette on a 7 speed freehub (It also works with 9 out of 10), which is shorter and will not fit the full cassette - frame spacing is also smaller. You need a 9 (or 10) speed shifter to match the cog spacing - the reason this lets you fit more cogs is because they are closer together. An 8 speed shifter will not work on an 8-of-9 setup, and a 9 speed shifter will not work on a 9-of-10 setup.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    New Rochelle, NY
    My Bikes
    too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter
    Posts
    19,876
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    When dropping a sprocket to, for example, use a 9s cassette as an 8s on a narrower freehub body, the key is to match the shifters, to the spacing, not the number of sprockets. 9s spacing calls for a 9s shifter, 8s spacing calls for an 8s shifter, etc. regardless of the number of sprockets actually used.
    FB
    Chain-L site

    An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

    “Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin

    “One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

    WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •