With the Vaya complete being near impossible to find and preferring the charcoal color that only comes as a frameset, I am looking to build up my first bike. My neighbor has built a couple of bikes and has tools/stand, so he is going to help out. However, I am pretty clueless on this stuff. Up to this point I pretty much just make sure there is air in the tire and put on some lube and go out and ride.
Here is what I am thinking and areas where I have confusion:
- Frame + Fork - Vaya
- Wheels - I was looking at Salsa Delgado, but I think I want to go tubeless (suggestions? maybe with 36 spoke option?) Also, thinking of front dynohub.
- Tires - Schwalbe Marathon Supreme
- Brakes - Avid BB7 (Difference between Road and MTB?)
- Brake Levers - ?
- Handlebar - Salsa Woodchipper
- Crank - Can I run a MTB crank like SRAM S1400 39/26 or 42/28?
- Shifters - ? On the SRAM site they only list trigger or twist shifters. What about if I am using drop bars?
- FD - ?
- RD - ?
- Cassette - Probably 11-32
- Headset - ? Does it make a difference?
- Cables and stuff - ? (Is there any difference in this sort of stuff?)
I already have peddles and a Brooks.