Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    Hopelessly addicted... photogravity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Central Maryland
    My Bikes
    1949 Hercules Kestrel, 1950 Norman Rapide, 1970 Schwinn Collegiate, 1972 Peugeot UE-8, 1976 Raleigh Sports, 1977 Raleigh Sports, 1977 Jack Taylor Tandem, 1984 Davidson Tandem, 2010 Bilenky "BQ" 650B Constructeur Tandem, 2011 Linus Mixte
    Posts
    4,695
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    BB Spindle Length Differ From Suggested

    I am currently in the process of rebuilding a 72 Peugeot UE-8 and will soon be purchasing a new BB to go with a set of mid-80s Specialized Touring Triple Cranks I pulled off my 1984 Davidson Tandem. According to the Specialized Catalog, the suggested spindle length is 114.5mm for a 68mm BB. The closest spindle lengths available for the BB I plan to purchase are 113mm and 116mm, so we're only talking a difference of +/-1.5mm.

    is there any real consequence of going short or long on the spindle length when the difference is only 1.5mm as in this case and what are the real effects for each scenario?

  2. #2
    Senior Member oldbobcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Boulder County, CO
    My Bikes
    '79 Gios, '80 Masi, '06 Felt, early '60s Frejus
    Posts
    2,455
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by photogravity View Post
    is there any real consequence of going short or long on the spindle length when the difference is only 1.5mm as in this case and what are the real effects for each scenario?
    At 1.5mm, you're probably not going to have any problems, but ultimately that also depends on how close to the limits your original spindles were.

    The dangers of going too long are that your front derailleur might not reach the outer chain ring and the chain line may take on a rather acute bend, affecting shifting of the rear derailleur.

    The dangers of going too short are that your inner chain ring or cranks may hit the chain stays and the front derailleur might not reach the inner chain ring.

    The performance related issues are negligible considering the 1.5mm differences.

  3. #3
    Hopelessly addicted... photogravity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Central Maryland
    My Bikes
    1949 Hercules Kestrel, 1950 Norman Rapide, 1970 Schwinn Collegiate, 1972 Peugeot UE-8, 1976 Raleigh Sports, 1977 Raleigh Sports, 1977 Jack Taylor Tandem, 1984 Davidson Tandem, 2010 Bilenky "BQ" 650B Constructeur Tandem, 2011 Linus Mixte
    Posts
    4,695
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    So given that information, I suppose going with the 113mm spindle would probably be the best choice since I can then shim the BB if there is an issue with clearance or shifting. As I'm going to be putting on upgraded front and rear derailleurs that I have laying around, I'm less concerned with the derailleurs working properly than I am with frame clearance for the chain and inner chainring.

    Many thanks for your insights on this.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3,981
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by photogravity View Post
    So given that information, I suppose going with the 113mm spindle would probably be the best choice since I can then shim the BB if there is an issue with clearance or shifting. As I'm going to be putting on upgraded front and rear derailleurs that I have laying around, I'm less concerned with the derailleurs working properly than I am with frame clearance for the chain and inner chainring.

    Many thanks for your insights on this.
    With that in mind I would go for the longer of the two. Or this one at 115mm. http://www.bikeparts.com/search_resu...p?ID=BPC332268

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    98
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Which taper is it?
    It is metric/English or French?
    The reason I ask is that Shimano carttridge square taper bb's come in a 68 x 115 size.

  6. #6
    Hopelessly addicted... photogravity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Central Maryland
    My Bikes
    1949 Hercules Kestrel, 1950 Norman Rapide, 1970 Schwinn Collegiate, 1972 Peugeot UE-8, 1976 Raleigh Sports, 1977 Raleigh Sports, 1977 Jack Taylor Tandem, 1984 Davidson Tandem, 2010 Bilenky "BQ" 650B Constructeur Tandem, 2011 Linus Mixte
    Posts
    4,695
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperFatDave View Post
    Which taper is it?
    It is metric/English or French?
    The reason I ask is that Shimano carttridge square taper bb's come in a 68 x 115 size.
    It's a French threaded BB otherwise I'd consider the Shimano BB. I'm planning on getting the one from Velo Orange since it's about the only game in town, though I hear it's a quality piece so I'm not complaining.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •