Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-24-11, 07:23 AM   #1
Equinox
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 815
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Upper limit adjustment screw

I have my Ultegra triple FD adjusted perfectly except for a slight chain rub in the biggest ring and the smallest cog. It is not a cable adjustment. I believe I have to adjust the limit. In order to move the outer plate 0.5-1.0mm. away from the chain, I believe I have to turn the high limit screw CCW. How far can I un-loosen this screw? You can't back it out entirely, can you? I assume you can only adjust it so far and then it stops, right?
Equinox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-11, 09:52 AM   #2
Retro Grouch 
Senior Member
 
Retro Grouch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: St Peters, Missouri
Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.
Posts: 26,903
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
It sounds to me like you have to move your derailleur cage just a skosh to the right. That will require a cable tension increase and/or a limit screw adjustment. Either way, don't overdo it. You will only need about 1/8 turn. Too much and you'll find yourself throwing the chain to the outside.

Leave the shifter alone for a minute. Try to move the cage by just pulling on the bare shift cable. If that won't move the cage, back out your high limit screw about 1/8 turn. If that fixes it, (my guess) you're done. If it doesn't, try increasing your cable tension 1/8 turn.
Retro Grouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-11, 04:25 PM   #3
Equinox
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 815
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post
It sounds to me like you have to move your derailleur cage just a skosh to the right. That will require a cable tension increase and/or a limit screw adjustment. Either way, don't overdo it. You will only need about 1/8 turn. Too much and you'll find yourself throwing the chain to the outside.

Leave the shifter alone for a minute. Try to move the cage by just pulling on the bare shift cable. If that won't move the cage, back out your high limit screw about 1/8 turn. If that fixes it, (my guess) you're done. If it doesn't, try increasing your cable tension 1/8 turn.
This is great advice and you obviously know just what I mean. I have not tried moving the cage by pulling on the bare cable. What about that limit screw? It is not possible to completely unscrew it? It stops at some point, correct?
Equinox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-11, 04:51 PM   #4
Retro Grouch 
Senior Member
 
Retro Grouch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: St Peters, Missouri
Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.
Posts: 26,903
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Equinox View Post
This is great advice and you obviously know just what I mean. I have not tried moving the cage by pulling on the bare cable. What about that limit screw? It is not possible to completely unscrew it? It stops at some point, correct?
The limit screw will come all the way out if you screw it too much so don't do that. Honestly, if you need to adjust your limit screw at all, 1/8 turn is probably all you need.
Retro Grouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-11, 05:22 PM   #5
Equinox
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 815
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post
The limit screw will come all the way out if you screw it too much so don't do that. Honestly, if you need to adjust your limit screw at all, 1/8 turn is probably all you need.
Thank you
Equinox is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:54 AM.