Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    Senior Member Mojo GoGo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Honeoye Falls, NY
    My Bikes
    Specialized Allez, Madone 5.2
    Posts
    581
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    External BB to square taper - possible?

    Does anyone know if a bottom bracket / bearing kit exists for converting an bike that has external bearing cups (Shimano 6600 series) to an older square taper design bottom bracket?

    I know this is a "backwards" conversion but I've got a old Specialized Allez frame with a square taper BB that I'm running as a single speed. It was my first bike and the shop I got it at sized me incorrectly (it's a 50 cm and I should be a 52 or 54). I also have a Trek Madone 5.2 frame (unfortunately just hanging on the wall) that is the correct size. Wondering if there is any way I can move my current crank over with a BB conversion kit rather than having to buy a crank and bearings.

    Thanks in advance.
    Ciao,
    Mojo GoGo

    For too long have we sat under the thumb of mankind.
    Now is the time to OPPOSE that thumb!


    I'm not fat, I'm a sprinter!

  2. #2
    Mad bike riding scientist cyccommute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Denver, CO
    My Bikes
    Some silver ones, a black one, a red one, an orange one and a couple of titanium ones
    Posts
    15,464
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojo GoGo View Post
    Does anyone know if a bottom bracket / bearing kit exists for converting an bike that has external bearing cups (Shimano 6600 series) to an older square taper design bottom bracket?

    I know this is a "backwards" conversion but I've got a old Specialized Allez frame with a square taper BB that I'm running as a single speed. It was my first bike and the shop I got it at sized me incorrectly (it's a 50 cm and I should be a 52 or 54). I also have a Trek Madone 5.2 frame (unfortunately just hanging on the wall) that is the correct size. Wondering if there is any way I can move my current crank over with a BB conversion kit rather than having to buy a crank and bearings.

    Thanks in advance.
    You just need the proper bottom bracket for the square taper. The external bearings thread into the bottom bracket shell of the bike with the same thread pitch and direction as a cassette bearing.

    You can't use the external bearings, however. Different system, diameters and spindle length.
    Stuart Black
    Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
    Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!
    Days of Wineless Roads. Bed and Breakfasting along the KATY
    Twisting Down the Alley. Misadventures in tornado alley.
    An Good Ol' Fashion Appalachian Butt Whoopin'.

  3. #3
    coprolite fietsbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    NW,Oregon Coast
    My Bikes
    7
    Posts
    40,102
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Strip the frame and start over, as said above.

    Unscrew the external bearings,
    they were machined to screw into BB's as they were made, right is LH thread.

    you Will need special tool to grip the external bearing cup,
    to unscrew them, so if there is no desire to buy that tool, to use once,
    get the bike shop to use theirs.
    the frame threading is unchanged, so you then install a square taper BB .

    package the external bearings with the crankset they came with.

    only a BB 30 set is needing a unique frame.
    Last edited by fietsbob; 05-25-11 at 09:49 AM.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Mojo GoGo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Honeoye Falls, NY
    My Bikes
    Specialized Allez, Madone 5.2
    Posts
    581
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cyccommute View Post
    You just need the proper bottom bracket for the square taper. The external bearings thread into the bottom bracket shell of the bike with the same thread pitch and direction as a cassette bearing.

    You can't use the external bearings, however. Different system, diameters and spindle length.
    So if I understand you correctly (I haven't looked at Madone frame in a year), the external bearing cups thread into the inside of the bottom bracket. So the square taper bottom bracket I'm currently running just needs to be removed from my Allez and should screw into the Madone frame no problem.

    (just assumed some sort of backward incompatibility (e.g., external cups having external bottom bracket threading) had been designed in by the manufacturer)
    Ciao,
    Mojo GoGo

    For too long have we sat under the thumb of mankind.
    Now is the time to OPPOSE that thumb!


    I'm not fat, I'm a sprinter!

  5. #5
    Senior Member BCRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    The 'Wack, BC, Canada
    My Bikes
    Norco (2), Miyata, Canondale, Soma, Redline
    Posts
    5,430
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojo GoGo View Post
    So if I understand you correctly (I haven't looked at Madone frame in a year), the external bearing cups thread into the inside of the bottom bracket. So the square taper bottom bracket I'm currently running just needs to be removed from my Allez and should screw into the Madone frame no problem.

    (just assumed some sort of backward incompatibility (e.g., external cups having external bottom bracket threading) had been designed in by the manufacturer)
    Yes, they do. The external cups also thread into the same internal threads. Your assumption that they fit onto some external threads is where you are wrong. Unless it's a BB30 frame as mentioned already your frames are both fully compatible with each style of BB.
    Model airplanes are cool too!.....

  6. #6
    Mad bike riding scientist cyccommute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Denver, CO
    My Bikes
    Some silver ones, a black one, a red one, an orange one and a couple of titanium ones
    Posts
    15,464
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojo GoGo View Post
    So if I understand you correctly (I haven't looked at Madone frame in a year), the external bearing cups thread into the inside of the bottom bracket. So the square taper bottom bracket I'm currently running just needs to be removed from my Allez and should screw into the Madone frame no problem.

    (just assumed some sort of backward incompatibility (e.g., external cups having external bottom bracket threading) had been designed in by the manufacturer)
    The only issue may be the spindle length. I'd suspect that's not even going to be much of a problem.
    Stuart Black
    Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
    Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!
    Days of Wineless Roads. Bed and Breakfasting along the KATY
    Twisting Down the Alley. Misadventures in tornado alley.
    An Good Ol' Fashion Appalachian Butt Whoopin'.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •