Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-09-04, 04:50 PM   #1
Jeprox
MTWThFMuter
Thread Starter
 
Jeprox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: SFOBayArea, CA
Bikes: schwinn, raleigh, 'dale, litespeed, bianchi, surly, novara
Posts: 454
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Bottom bracket problem

It rained in my commute last Thursday. I cleaned (hosed off and dried) the bike and lubed the drivetrain. The following Friday, and Saturday, the bike did not show any signs of trouble. I rode over 80 miles between those two days. Sunday, I was going to get the bike ready for Monday's commute when I noticed, the crank would only pedal backwards. I took the chain off the chainrings to isolate the problem and see if it is the bottom bracket. Sure enough it is. This is an old steel bike (circa 1989), with Suntour Sprint cranks and bottom bracket. Have any of you had this type of problem? Please describe the damage inside the BB, if you have had the chance to work on it. Thanks.
Jeprox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-04, 05:18 PM   #2
sydney
Senior Member
 
sydney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 9,428
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeprox
It rained in my commute last Thursday. I cleaned (hosed off and dried) the bike and lubed the drivetrain. The following Friday, and Saturday, the bike did not show any signs of trouble. I rode over 80 miles between those two days. Sunday, I was going to get the bike ready for Monday's commute when I noticed, the crank would only pedal backwards. I took the chain off the chainrings to isolate the problem and see if it is the bottom bracket. Sure enough it is. This is an old steel bike (circa 1989), with Suntour Sprint cranks and bottom bracket. Have any of you had this type of problem? Please describe the damage inside the BB, if you have had the chance to work on it. Thanks.
Well, I don't have x-ray vision,so why don't you just pull it apart and see? It may be rebuldable,or completely trashed.
sydney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-04, 06:30 PM   #3
supcom
You need a new bike
 
supcom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Bikes:
Posts: 5,433
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
When was the BB was repacked with grease? Please don't say 1989.
supcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-04, 08:18 AM   #4
moxfyre
cyclist/gearhead/cycli...
 
moxfyre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: DC / Maryland suburbs
Bikes: Homebuilt tourer/commuter, modified-beyond-recognition 1990 Trek 1100, reasonably stock 2002-ish Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo
Posts: 4,166
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You're going to have to disassemble the BB to see what's wrong. Remove the cranks, loosen the adjustable cup lockring, remove the adjustable cup, and carefully remove the bearings and spindles. If nothing is damaged, then new bearings and a slathering of grease should do it.
moxfyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-04, 12:49 AM   #5
Jeprox
MTWThFMuter
Thread Starter
 
Jeprox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: SFOBayArea, CA
Bikes: schwinn, raleigh, 'dale, litespeed, bianchi, surly, novara
Posts: 454
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
OK, got my bottom bracket, NOS - Shimano UN73, a sealed one. The one I am replacing is not the sealed kind. The old BB can be overhauled but I decided to go sealed. My question is which side goes on the left, based on the attached image. Thanks in advance for the reply/ies.
Jeprox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-04, 12:50 AM   #6
Raiyn
I drink your MILKSHAKE
 
Raiyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
Bikes: 2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity
Posts: 15,061
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The side that's attached goes on the drive side.
__________________
Raiyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-04, 12:56 AM   #7
Jeprox
MTWThFMuter
Thread Starter
 
Jeprox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: SFOBayArea, CA
Bikes: schwinn, raleigh, 'dale, litespeed, bianchi, surly, novara
Posts: 454
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiyn
The side that's attached goes on the drive side.
Excellent! Thank you.
Jeprox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-04, 12:59 AM   #8
Raiyn
I drink your MILKSHAKE
 
Raiyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
Bikes: 2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity
Posts: 15,061
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
No big. Go here if you get stuck. http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/FAQindex.shtml
__________________
Raiyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-04, 08:19 AM   #9
sydney
Senior Member
 
sydney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 9,428
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeprox
OK, got my bottom bracket, NOS - Shimano UN73, a sealed one. The one I am replacing is not the sealed kind. The old BB can be overhauled but I decided to go sealed. My question is which side goes on the left, based on the attached image. Thanks in advance for the reply/ies.
Did you get a spindle length to match the old one?
sydney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-04, 12:58 AM   #10
Jeprox
MTWThFMuter
Thread Starter
 
Jeprox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: SFOBayArea, CA
Bikes: schwinn, raleigh, 'dale, litespeed, bianchi, surly, novara
Posts: 454
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sydney
Did you get a spindle length to match the old one?
I think they match (or close enough) since the new BB is installed and the smaller chainring lines up with the middle cog (7-speed, Regina). Shifts just fine.
Jeprox is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:48 PM.