Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    Aluminium Crusader :-)
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    9,874
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Which Loctite for spoke nipples?

    I have a new front CXP33 wheel (32 hole) that will not stay true, seemingly because
    some of the spokes keep coming loose.

    When I straighten it, the same, or different spokes will loosen during the next ride.

    I've twice returned it to the guy who originally finished it for me, but no luck

    The rim does not appear to have any cracks, and a few bike shop guys have
    said that the tension is fine.

    It has black, straight guage DTs, with 'standard' (brass) nipples.


    THANKS

  2. #2
    Senior Member demoncyclist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Medway, MA
    My Bikes
    2011 Lynskey Sportive, 1988 Cannondale SM400
    Posts
    2,454
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You would have to disassemble the wheel to get any Loctite in the threads to begin with. I would have the builder start over and make sure he uses a proper spoke prep (not Loctite) when he relaces the wheel.
    DEMON

    Satanic Mechanic
    STAR 3 Spinning Instructor

    2011 Lynskey Sportive (Shimano Ultegra 10s)
    1988 Cannondale SM400 (Suntour XC-M 7s)

  3. #3
    Forum Admin lotek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    n.w. superdrome
    My Bikes
    1 trek, serotta, rih, de Reus, Pogliaghi and finally a Zieleman! and got a DeRosa
    Posts
    17,623
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Find a new builder. There is something fundementally wrong
    with the wheel if it keeps loosenening.
    If anything I would use either Spokeprep (wheelsmith),
    Nipple Lube (rock n roll) or go totally oldschool and
    use boiled linseed oil.

    Marty
    Sono pił lento di quel che sembra.
    Odio la gente, tutti.

    Are you a registered member? Why not? click here to register. Its free, and only takes 27 seconds!
    Want to upgrade your membership? Click Here.

  4. #4
    don d.
    Guest
    You can use loctite if you must. Just remove the nipple, soak it in acetone, clean the spoke threads in acetone with a cotton swab, dry, and apply nothing stronger than Loctite's Blue to the spoke threads. Immediately reinstall and true to final true condition within 20 minutes.

    However, I suspect that even though your LBS guys are saying there isn't a spoke tension problem, this may in fact be the cause of the spokes loosening. Spend MORE money and buy a Park Spoke Tension gauge and use it before using Loctite. You can lend it to all your friends on the Aussie thread and maybe they'll lend you one of their Look KG486 bikes to ride.

    This problem may also be caused by a poor extrusion on that specific rim, so if after properly tensioning the spokes, the problem remains, and you don't want to replace the rim, then use Loctite.

  5. #5
    Aluminium Crusader :-)
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    9,874
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, all

  6. #6
    Senior Member Retro Grouch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    St Peters, Missouri
    My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Posts
    23,786
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Green loctite is designed for post tightening application. I've used it with good results on my son's motorcycle wheels and on the wheels for his downhill bike.

  7. #7
    Klaatu barada nikto cascade168's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Southern NH
    Posts
    1,453
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lotek
    If anything I would use either Spokeprep (wheelsmith),
    Nipple Lube (rock n roll) or go totally oldschool and
    use boiled linseed oil.

    Marty
    When you are tweaking your spokes there are two places you have friction - the spoke thead itself and the nipple surface that seats on the rim. Yup, I agree that Spokeprep is the right stuff for the spoke theads. And, linseed oil is really great for the rim/nipple interface because it is slippery when wet, but sets up hard when it drys out. When you go back to true the wheel later on, just put another drop of linseed oil in the rim hole and it softens the old dried out linseed oil. The whole idea is to keep the spoke workable during tuning and have it not rotate later on. Spokeprep and linseed oil do exactly that. Some people use linseed oil on the spoke threads as well, but Spokeprep is a little nicer (IMHO) as it's designed (specifically for spoke threads) to set up hard enough to resist rotating, but not so hard as to prevent adjustment with a spoke wrench. So, this solution is kind of "old school meets new school".

  8. #8
    Klaatu barada nikto cascade168's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Southern NH
    Posts
    1,453
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
    Green loctite is designed for post tightening application. I've used it with good results on my son's motorcycle wheels and on the wheels for his downhill bike.

    Just curious ...... I assume you are talking about #290 Loctite? Have you ever used that on bike spokes and then later re-adjusted them? I ask because 290 is some pretty strong sh*t. I helped a friend remove the bottom plate on his jet ski this summer and the 5mm bolts used green/290 and they were a major b*tch to break loose. If you look on the Loctite site, they use 10mm bolts for their specification example and the break torque required for a 10mm was 30 in/lbs. Am I wrong in thinking that 290 on a bike spoke is just about permanent, unless you just a solvent later on??? Like I said, just curious.

  9. #9
    Listen to me powers2b's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Lexus Texas
    Posts
    2,791
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your builder may not be tensioning the spokes properly. The spokes will twist when the nipple is turned so all will appear to be fine after the build. The first time you ride the spokes will un-twist and the wheel will go out of true. Sheldon brown has a great description on turning the nipples past the proper tension then turning them back to untwist the spoke.
    Enjoy

  10. #10
    Senior Member Retro Grouch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    St Peters, Missouri
    My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Posts
    23,786
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cascade168
    Just curious ...... I assume you are talking about #290 Loctite? Have you ever used that on bike spokes and then later re-adjusted them? I ask because 290 is some pretty strong sh*t. I helped a friend remove the bottom plate on his jet ski this summer and the 5mm bolts used green/290 and they were a major b*tch to break loose. If you look on the Loctite site, they use 10mm bolts for their specification example and the break torque required for a 10mm was 30 in/lbs. Am I wrong in thinking that 290 on a bike spoke is just about permanent, unless you just a solvent later on??? Like I said, just curious.
    Well, I don't normally use loctite on bicycle wheels and I haven't had the opportunity to work on my son's since so you might have a point.

    In his case, both sets of wheels were so loose that I didn't see that there was anything to lose by trying something different. His downhill wheels, for example are Tioga Factory DH and were about 5 years old with little or no trueing but the rims were pretty badly beaten up. He likes to routinely ride off of 10' drop offs and the like so they get a pretty good test. I told him to plan on buying new rims for his next wheel rebuild so who cares if I have to cut off the spokes?

    His Honda is a 450 something 4-stroke motocross bike so we're talking plenty of power. I don't like to even think about what he must be doing with that and I definitely don't share my thoughts with his mother. I just know that I could turn most of the spoke nipples with my fingers so using a little loctite on them is bound to be an improvement.

  11. #11
    Klaatu barada nikto cascade168's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Southern NH
    Posts
    1,453
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
    In his case, both sets of wheels were so loose that I didn't see that there was anything to lose by trying something different. His downhill wheels, for example are Tioga Factory DH and were about 5 years old with little or no trueing but the rims were pretty badly beaten up. He likes to routinely ride off of 10' drop offs and the like so they get a pretty good test. I told him to plan on buying new rims for his next wheel rebuild so who cares if I have to cut off the spokes?

    His Honda is a 450 something 4-stroke motocross bike so we're talking plenty of power. I don't like to even think about what he must be doing with that and I definitely don't share my thoughts with his mother. I just know that I could turn most of the spoke nipples with my fingers so using a little loctite on them is bound to be an improvement.
    Just for curiosity sake, it might be interesting to try and adjust those spokes before you cut them, just to see if the nipple will turn. Loctite does make release agents and lists them on it's site. Also, a little hot air from a blow dryer can work wonders.

    Yes, I can see where all the vibration and power in a motorcycle might require a serious threadlocker. Plus, you are talking about a much bigger gauge spoke and nipple, right?

  12. #12
    aka old dog greywolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    tauranga New Zealand
    Posts
    1,173
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powers2b
    Your builder may not be tensioning the spokes properly. The spokes will twist when the nipple is turned so all will appear to be fine after the build. The first time you ride the spokes will un-twist and the wheel will go out of true. Sheldon brown has a great description on turning the nipples past the proper tension then turning them back to untwist the spoke.
    Enjoy
    This is very noticable with aero spokes !!! Another quick fix is to slightly compromise the thread on the spoke by taping it on a steel faceplate/anvil gently with a hammer this should deform the thread enough to give it more resistance to loosening .
    :D
    dont worry be happy ????

  13. #13
    Ca-na-da? krazyderek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Dartmouth, NS, Canada
    My Bikes
    raleigh grand prix
    Posts
    2,024
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a set of Bontrage Race wheels, the bike was used for 6 months when i got it, so i don't know what the storie is but i've never crashed it. THE SAME 2 SPOKES KEEP COMING LOSE. time and time again, they get to the point where it's like a peice of spagetti, but every other spoke on both sides of the rim stiff. I've had it trued twice now and the mechanic was saying we should do a rebuild to identify if there's a bend in the rim, or some bad(stretched) spokes that might need replacing. I was considering loctite, but maybe not? Is rebuilding a rear wheel really worth it ? Or should i just order a new aero wheel that i've kinda had my eye on?
    Cannondale '06 Synapse, Michelin Krylion Carbon's
    Cannondale '05 R1000 , Vittoria Rubino Pro Slick
    CycleOps PowerTap Pro
    Home made Free Motion Rollers

  14. #14
    Aluminium Crusader :-)
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    9,874
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by krazyderek
    . THE SAME 2 SPOKES KEEP COMING LOSE. ?
    The purists say that a wheel shouldn't do this if it's built properly, but......

    Try a couple of DT Pro Lock nipples
    http://www.dtswiss.com/index.asp?fus...n=nipples.bike

    I think they come with a bit of Loctite already in there, or a nylon insert, or something.
    Last edited by 531Aussie; 09-06-05 at 10:53 AM.

  15. #15
    Ca-na-da? krazyderek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Dartmouth, NS, Canada
    My Bikes
    raleigh grand prix
    Posts
    2,024
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by krazyderek
    THE SAME 2 SPOKES KEEP COMING LOSE. ?
    well... when i was just tweaking the trueness i noticed some dirt around some of the nipples and wipped the rim off, only to find CRACKS IN THE RIM!!!!! Well i guess this explains the 2 oposite spokes that kept coming lose after 1 or 2 rides (the colored nipples)

    So i'm trying to phone Mike Garcia now to see if i can buy a rim that will be compatible with the spokes and hub, i might just send it to him and have him build a niobium 30 with my parts.
    Cannondale '06 Synapse, Michelin Krylion Carbon's
    Cannondale '05 R1000 , Vittoria Rubino Pro Slick
    CycleOps PowerTap Pro
    Home made Free Motion Rollers

  16. #16
    Aluminium Crusader :-)
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    9,874
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well, there you go, you've now got an excuse to buy them new aero wheels

    I'd guess the crack would've contributed to the spokes going out of whack.

  17. #17
    Ca-na-da? krazyderek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Dartmouth, NS, Canada
    My Bikes
    raleigh grand prix
    Posts
    2,024
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    alas, nothing can be switched over, although mike was very nice to talk to, i don't have the cash for a whole new rear wheel or set of wheels i guess i'm stuck just getting a replacement rim for my local trek/bontrager dealer...
    Cannondale '06 Synapse, Michelin Krylion Carbon's
    Cannondale '05 R1000 , Vittoria Rubino Pro Slick
    CycleOps PowerTap Pro
    Home made Free Motion Rollers

  18. #18
    Banned.
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    4,418
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    531, how did your wheel turn out? What did you eventually do?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •