Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-18-11, 09:56 AM   #1
Again
Oldie
Thread Starter
 
Again's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Medford, Oregon
Bikes: Lance Exodus Europe, Univega Sportour, Motobecane Cafe Latte
Posts: 411
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Should a cassette arrive like this?

I bought a 9-speed cassette online, and it came in like this:

The bag was ripped open too.
I tried to fit the two separate sprockets onto the cassette, but found no way.
Is this right?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_1165_80%.jpg (98.3 KB, 317 views)
Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-11, 09:59 AM   #2
Shimagnolo
Senior Member
 
Shimagnolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Zang's Spur, CO
Bikes:
Posts: 7,711
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
The two loose cogs are inverted. Flip them over and try it again.
Shimagnolo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-11, 10:16 AM   #3
HillRider 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Bikes: '''96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '12 Surly Pacer, All are 3x8,9 or 10. It is hilly around here!
Posts: 29,124
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
All cassettes have at least the two smallest cogs and the lockring as separate pieces.

I assume you bought this cassette on e-bay or from some on-line seller as it seems to be a "grey-market" part, i.e. resold from some manufacturer's overstock. Comercially packaged cassettes come in boxes and are assembled on a post or other retainer that keeps everything in order.

To install this cassette, place the grouped together cogs on the freehub body, then the larger of the two separate cogs with it's spacer side toward the larger ones, then the smallest cog, also with its spacer facing the others and then the lockring. You do realize thse cogs are "keyed" to the freehub body and the narrow spline on the body must be aligned with the narrow groove on the cogs?

I assume your freehub body is an 8/9/10-speed version. If it's a 7-speed body the cassette wil be too wide to fit.
HillRider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-11, 12:47 PM   #4
Again
Oldie
Thread Starter
 
Again's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Medford, Oregon
Bikes: Lance Exodus Europe, Univega Sportour, Motobecane Cafe Latte
Posts: 411
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimagnolo View Post
The two loose cogs are inverted. Flip them over and try it again.
Nothing fit on anything, either sides. Anyway, when I order a 9-speed cassette, am I to expect a cassette with 9 sprockets or a bag of loose parts?
Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-11, 12:51 PM   #5
FastJake
Constant tinkerer
 
FastJake's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Madison, Wisconsin
Bikes:
Posts: 7,577
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The cogs don't actually fit together as one complete unit (like the old freewheels.) But once you put all the loose cogs on the hub they are made one by tightening the lockring.

I actually disassemble my cassettes on purpose to get 8 loose cogs. This makes it possible to clean everything more thouroughly.
FastJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-11, 12:55 PM   #6
Jed19 
Senior Member
 
Jed19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 4,228
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Again View Post
Nothing fit on anything, either sides. Anyway, when I order a 9-speed cassette, am I to expect a cassette with 9 sprockets or a bag of loose parts?
I respectfully posit that you either have a wrong-speed cassette ( like you ordered a 9-Speed, but you have a 7-Speed), or you have no idea how to put a cassette on. There is nothing wrong with the cassette in your picture.

I think you need a bike shop.
__________________
Regards,

Jed
Jed19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-11, 12:55 PM   #7
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess
 
Bianchigirll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Camp Hill, PA
Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.
Posts: 22,660
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Again View Post
Nothing fit on anything, either sides. Anyway, when I order a 9-speed cassette, am I to expect a cassette with 9 sprockets or a bag of loose parts?

YES! I never bought a 9spd shimano but my 7s and Campis look like that. your are putting it on a 9spd body right
__________________
Bianchis '87 Sport SX, '90 Proto, '90 Campione del Fausto Giamondi Specialisma Italiano Mundo, '91 Boarala 'cross, '93 Project 3, '86 Volpe, '97 Ti Megatube, , '90 something Vento 603,

Others but still loved,; '80 RIGI, '80 Batavus Professional, '87 Cornelo, '09 Motobecane SOLD, '?? Jane Doe (still on the drawing board), '90ish Haro Escape
Bianchigirll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-11, 12:58 PM   #8
Again
Oldie
Thread Starter
 
Again's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Medford, Oregon
Bikes: Lance Exodus Europe, Univega Sportour, Motobecane Cafe Latte
Posts: 411
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HillRider View Post
All cassettes have at least the two smallest cogs and the lockring as separate pieces.

I assume you bought this cassette on e-bay or from some on-line seller as it seems to be a "grey-market" part, i.e. resold from some manufacturer's overstock. Comercially packaged cassettes come in boxes and are assembled on a post or other retainer that keeps everything in order.

To install this cassette, place the grouped together cogs on the freehub body, then the larger of the two separate cogs with it's spacer side toward the larger ones, then the smallest cog, also with its spacer facing the others and then the lockring. You do realize thse cogs are "keyed" to the freehub body and the narrow spline on the body must be aligned with the narrow groove on the cogs?

I assume your freehub body is an 8/9/10-speed version. If it's a 7-speed body the cassette wil be too wide to fit.
Thank you very much for the precise instructions. After a bit of fiddling it fell into place!
Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-11, 01:01 PM   #9
ultraman6970
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 7,860
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The last cogs always come appart i dont know whats the problem, And yo uare getting lucky because the miche ones come in individual spacers and cogs so probably that could make more than bad??? Just put the cluster in, put the other 2 in there, then the lockring, is that a problem???

The old 7 sp shimano HG came in 5 speed cluster and the last 2 plus the lockring just like the stuff u have in there, again, what is the big deal if the thing is new?
ultraman6970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-11, 01:30 PM   #10
Again
Oldie
Thread Starter
 
Again's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Medford, Oregon
Bikes: Lance Exodus Europe, Univega Sportour, Motobecane Cafe Latte
Posts: 411
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll View Post
YES! I never bought a 9spd shimano but my 7s and Campis look like that. your are putting it on a 9spd body right
Yes, I just received my new wheel set, ...and the 9 cogs fit.
Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-11, 01:43 PM   #11
Again
Oldie
Thread Starter
 
Again's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Medford, Oregon
Bikes: Lance Exodus Europe, Univega Sportour, Motobecane Cafe Latte
Posts: 411
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastJake View Post
The cogs don't actually fit together as one complete unit (like the old freewheels.) But once you put all the loose cogs on the hub they are made one by tightening the lockring.

I actually disassemble my cassettes on purpose to get 8 loose cogs. This makes it possible to clean everything more thouroughly.
I tightened the lockring lightly by hand. Is there a special tool needed for that?
Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-11, 01:52 PM   #12
Again
Oldie
Thread Starter
 
Again's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Medford, Oregon
Bikes: Lance Exodus Europe, Univega Sportour, Motobecane Cafe Latte
Posts: 411
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jed19 View Post
I respectfully posit that you either have a wrong-speed cassette ( like you ordered a 9-Speed, but you have a 7-Speed),
Wrong, I ordered the right stuff.

Quote:
or you have no idea how to put a cassette on.
Correct, which is why I needed intelligent advice.

Quote:
There is nothing wrong with the cassette in your picture.
Wrong, because I reputable seller would have sent it properly assembled and aligned. But, as HillRider pointed out, I bought from a gray market outfit.

Quote:
I think you need a bike shop.
Wrong again - what I needed was good advice, as provided by HillRider.
Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-11, 01:52 PM   #13
Jed19 
Senior Member
 
Jed19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 4,228
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Again View Post
I tightened the lockring lightly by hand. Is there a special tool needed for that?
Yes, there is a tool that you need to tighten the lockring to torque specification.

I say to take your bike to a bicycle shop, so they can at least show you how to do it.

Or, alternatively, you can look up "putting cassettes on bicycles" on You Tube.
__________________
Regards,

Jed
Jed19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-11, 01:56 PM   #14
Al1943
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Oklahoma
Bikes: Trek 5500, Colnago C-50
Posts: 9,433
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Again View Post
I tightened the lockring lightly by hand. Is there a special tool needed for that?
Yes, you cannot put enough torque on the lockring with your bare hand.
The smallest cog on this cassette is an 11 so you will need the special lockring made for the 11. I assume that is what you got.
Most lockrings have the recommended torque shown on the lockring in neuton-meters.
Al1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-11, 01:58 PM   #15
Jed19 
Senior Member
 
Jed19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 4,228
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Again View Post
Wrong, because I reputable seller would have sent it properly assembled and aligned. But, as HillRider pointed out, I bought from a gray market outfit.
I have been buying cassettes for a long time, and what HillRider was talking about is "packaging", not assembling.

In proper Shimano packaging, you still have to take the cassette apart from the plastic spline fitting to put it on your freehub.
__________________
Regards,

Jed
Jed19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-11, 02:00 PM   #16
Again
Oldie
Thread Starter
 
Again's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Medford, Oregon
Bikes: Lance Exodus Europe, Univega Sportour, Motobecane Cafe Latte
Posts: 411
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jed19 View Post
Yes, there is a tool that you need to tighten the lockring to torque specification.
Oh great, another tool.

Quote:
I say to take your bike to a bicycle shop, so they can at least show you how to do it.
Would that help, if I don't have the tool?

Quote:
Or, alternatively, you can look up "putting cassettes on bicycles" on You Tube.
With or without the proper tool?
Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-11, 02:04 PM   #17
fietsbob 
coprolite
 
fietsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Bikes: 7
Posts: 22,229
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1150 Post(s)
Note: the splines have 1 wider than the rest, and a narrow one right next to it.

line all the cogs up to that.
fietsbob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-11, 02:06 PM   #18
Al1943
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Oklahoma
Bikes: Trek 5500, Colnago C-50
Posts: 9,433
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If you plan to do any of your maintenance work you'll need that tool and others. You do not have to have a torque wrench, just be sure to get it tight enough. A loose cassette can damage an aluminum freehub, poor shifting performance, and lots of noise.
Al1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-11, 04:40 PM   #19
Bezalel
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: City of Brotherly Love
Bikes: Raleigh Companion, Nashbar Touring, Novara DiVano, Trek FX 7.1, Giant Upland
Posts: 1,556
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Again View Post
Nothing fit on anything, either sides. Anyway, when I order a 9-speed cassette, am I to expect a cassette with 9 sprockets or a bag of loose parts?
There isn't enough space in the smallest cogs to rivet them together. AFAIK Even bulk (Shimano) cassettes come on a plastic post.
Bezalel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-11, 04:53 PM   #20
Airburst
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: England, currently dividing my time between university in Guildford and home just outside Reading
Bikes: Too many to list here!
Posts: 1,921
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Again View Post

Wrong, because I reputable seller would have sent it properly assembled and aligned. But, as HillRider pointed out, I bought from a gray market outfit.
It IS properly assembled, those last two sprockets never come attached to the cassette, for whatever reason. To have it assembled any further, it would have to be on the freehub body already.
Airburst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-11, 04:57 PM   #21
Mondoman
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: A Latvian in Seattle
Bikes:
Posts: 1,020
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Here's the Park Tool link for cassettes and freewheels/freehubs. You've got a freehub setup. http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-...ewheel-removal
Mondoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-11, 05:00 PM   #22
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas
 
10 Wheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: In The Wind
Bikes: 2010 Expedition, 03 GTO
Posts: 30,119
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Tool:

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/pr...paign=Datafeed
__________________
[SIZE=1][B]What I like about Texas[/B]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGukLuXzH1E

Set F1re To The Ra1n ( NY Night Rain Ride)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7jfcWEkSrI
10 Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-11, 05:01 PM   #23
bradtx
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Pearland, Texas
Bikes: Cannondale, Trek, Raleigh, Santana
Posts: 6,870
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Again, If you don't plan to tinker with the cassette yourself, run by a bike shop and they'll tighten the lock nut, maybe for a small fee, maybe for free.

Brad
bradtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-11, 05:11 PM   #24
ultraman6970
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 7,860
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would buy the tool if i was you.
ultraman6970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-11, 05:24 PM   #25
Again
Oldie
Thread Starter
 
Again's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Medford, Oregon
Bikes: Lance Exodus Europe, Univega Sportour, Motobecane Cafe Latte
Posts: 411
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bezalel View Post
There isn't enough space in the smallest cogs to rivet them together. AFAIK Even bulk (Shimano) cassettes come on a plastic post.
That would be perfectly acceptable, because it would show how it is assembled. Loose in a plastic bag shows nothing to the first time buyer.
Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:06 PM.