Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Senior Member theblackbullet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    My Bikes
    '87 Kestrel 200sc, '98 GT Edge Aero, '92 Cannondale R900, Snyder Cycles track bike
    Posts
    494
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    issues installing gxp bb

    I bought a truvativ elita crank and gxp bottom bracket to replace my old shimano sora crankset. I removed the old crankset with no issues.

    I began installing the gxp bb. I screwed in the drive-side bearing cup. Then I went to start the non-drive side cup and it wasn't catching any threads. I looked in there and it appears as though the protective tube has lodged itself in the bb shell. It is sticking too far through for me to start the other bearing cup, and when I removed the driveside bearing cup, the tube did not come out with it.

    Any suggestions on what to do?

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    156
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you have both cups out, you should be able to just push the tube out. The tube is just there to seal the BB from crud and water that might run down the frame tubes to that area.

  3. #3
    Senior Member theblackbullet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    My Bikes
    '87 Kestrel 200sc, '98 GT Edge Aero, '92 Cannondale R900, Snyder Cycles track bike
    Posts
    494
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by reshp1 View Post
    If you have both cups out, you should be able to just push the tube out. The tube is just there to seal the BB from crud and water that might run down the frame tubes to that area.
    that's what I thought, but it isn't coming out. it's stuck in there. should it be able to push through both sides?

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    156
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is the tube from your old bb? It may be stuck in there by gunk. What standard was the old bb?

  5. #5
    Senior Member theblackbullet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    My Bikes
    '87 Kestrel 200sc, '98 GT Edge Aero, '92 Cannondale R900, Snyder Cycles track bike
    Posts
    494
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by reshp1 View Post
    Is the tube from your old bb? It may be stuck in there by gunk. What standard was the old bb?
    hmmm...I think it may be the old tube that caused it to do this. not sure what you mean by standard, but it was a shimano bb-un40 according to bikepedia

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    156
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm, you have a picture? Are you saying you jammed the new tube inside the old tube?

  7. #7
    Senior Member theblackbullet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    My Bikes
    '87 Kestrel 200sc, '98 GT Edge Aero, '92 Cannondale R900, Snyder Cycles track bike
    Posts
    494
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was able to use a socket as a punch to remove the tube, but now that I can look into the bb shell, I can see what appears to be a sleeve on the non-drive side of the shell. When I was removing the old bb, the cup that I removed from the nds unscrewed fine but was cracked and fell apart once out. Could it be the cup that was supposed to unscrew that is still in the bb?

  8. #8
    Senior Member theblackbullet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    My Bikes
    '87 Kestrel 200sc, '98 GT Edge Aero, '92 Cannondale R900, Snyder Cycles track bike
    Posts
    494
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    and yes, after getting into better light, I am aware that I need to do a waaaay better job of cleaning

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    156
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, that's what it looks like, the threads go deeper than where that piece is sitting which is why you couldn't get the new bb cup to seat. Not sure about how to remove it though

  10. #10
    Senior Member theblackbullet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    My Bikes
    '87 Kestrel 200sc, '98 GT Edge Aero, '92 Cannondale R900, Snyder Cycles track bike
    Posts
    494
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    awesome!

    should have let the lbs have at it

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    My Bikes
    '''96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '12 Surly Pacer, All are 3x8,9 or 10. It is hilly around here!
    Posts
    25,558
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theblackbullet View Post
    hmmm...I think it may be the old tube that caused it to do this. not sure what you mean by standard, but it was a shimano bb-un40 according to bikepedia
    OK, what you likely have stuck in there is the plastic non-drive side cup that Shimano uses for many of it's older square taper cartridge bottom brackets. If you remove the non-drive side cup first, the plastic ones often fracture and leave a large part still in the bb threads. You can guess how I know this.

    Removal requires a lot of CAREFUL work to slot and break out the remains without damaging the threads. If you aren't comfortable doing this, a trip to the LBS is highly recommended.

  12. #12
    Senior Member theblackbullet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    My Bikes
    '87 Kestrel 200sc, '98 GT Edge Aero, '92 Cannondale R900, Snyder Cycles track bike
    Posts
    494
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HillRider View Post
    OK, what you likely have stuck in there is the plastic non-drive side cup that Shimano uses for many of it's older square taper cartridge bottom brackets. If you remove the non-drive side cup first, the plastic ones often fracture and leave a large part still in the bb threads. You can guess how I know this.

    Removal requires a lot of CAREFUL work to slot and break out the remains without damaging the threads. If you aren't comfortable doing this, a trip to the LBS is highly recommended.
    ahhh, lesson learned. I ended up swinging by the bike shop. 15 minutes and $10 later, all is well
    I was able to install everything else with ease.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •