Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    47
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    trek 7300 rear brake

    anyone know what rear brake will fit my trek frame?

    the rear stays and bridge are all threaded
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    Senior Member CACycling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Oxnard, CA
    My Bikes
    '08 Fuji Roubaix RC; '07 Schwinn Le Tour GS; '92 Diamond Back Ascent EX
    Posts
    4,446
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are there no canti/V-brake posts on the other side of the stay? I'd assume that the bike came with one of these types (canti if older, V-brake if newer).

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    West Yorkshire, United Kingdom
    Posts
    3,543
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What model year is it?, would check this against the Trek website / Bikepedia to see what it came with originally. What brake levers does it have would also be a clue to what brakes it needs.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    47
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    there are posts on front fork (no suspension) but not rear. i got this as frame only, not a complete bike, and it was completely bare apart from bearings in headstock.
    i am having difficulty finding the year of it. it is a 7300 trekking.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    My Bikes
    '''96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '12 Surly Pacer, All are 3x8,9 or 10. It is hilly around here!
    Posts
    25,979
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the stays are threaded on their rear side, they must have come with cantilever or V-brake mounting studs which have been removed. The threads in the brake bridge are probably for a fender mounting bracket but you could use a sidepull brake if you can find one with the required reach. You might have to drill the bridge out to clear a 6 mm mounting bolt.

  6. #6
    Senior Member mechBgon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    6,957
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The threaded fittings shown on the seatstays in your photo are for a ring lock, more commonly seen in Europe. Reinstall the cantilever studs if they're not present, and use some V-brakes or cantilevers.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    47
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HillRider View Post
    If the stays are threaded on their rear side, they must have come with cantilever or V-brake mounting studs which have been removed. The threads in the brake bridge are probably for a fender mounting bracket but you could use a sidepull brake if you can find one with the required reach. You might have to drill the bridge out to clear a 6 mm mounting bolt.
    stays are threaded on front side, nothing on rear, the bridge is to high for the reach of any brakes i have, i am considering making an alum bracket to suit.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    47
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mechBgon View Post
    The threaded fittings shown on the seatstays in your photo are for a ring lock, more commonly seen in Europe. Reinstall the cantilever studs if they're not present, and use some V-brakes or cantilevers.
    thanks that explains them there is nothing on the rear to mount posts.
    Last edited by simonplatt; 08-26-11 at 03:51 PM. Reason: spelling

  9. #9
    Nobody mconlonx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    5,418
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go with a drum brake...
    I know next to nothing. I am frequently wrong.

  10. #10
    Quirky Grifter LesterOfPuppets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Vancouver, USA
    My Bikes
    My War
    Posts
    21,420
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    I'm curious to see more pics of this bike's rear triangle.

    I don't see any signs of a rear derailer cable in the pic so if that routing has been the same as the American spec 7300 then that makes it a 2011.

    I wonder what they did for rear derailer cable routing for the Euro spec models on previous years, assuming they had a lock mount bosses.
    1980ish Free Spirit Sunbird fixed * 1996 Mongoose IBOC Zero-G * 1997 KHS Comp * 1990-ish Scapin * Lemond Buenos Aires Triple

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    My Bikes
    '''96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '12 Surly Pacer, All are 3x8,9 or 10. It is hilly around here!
    Posts
    25,979
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can get sidepulls with quite long reach intended fo BMX and similar bikes. Dia Compe and Tektro make calipers with reaches over 80 mm. Jenson carries several different models:
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/sub/1...rakes+Bmx.aspx

    Alternatives are a drum or coaster brake.

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    47
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets View Post
    I'm curious to see more pics of this bike's rear triangle.

    I don't see any signs of a rear derailer cable in the pic so if that routing has been the same as the American spec 7300 then that makes it a 2011.

    I wonder what they did for rear derailer cable routing for the Euro spec models on previous years, assuming they had a lock mount bosses.
    Image011.jpgImage012.jpg

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    47
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    there are 3 cable guides under the d/t. i presume 1 = front mech. 1 = rear mech. 1 = ?

    note the lugs one forward of b/b one on chainstay.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    My Bikes
    '''96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '12 Surly Pacer, All are 3x8,9 or 10. It is hilly around here!
    Posts
    25,979
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I looked up the 7300 on Trek's web site and they came with Tektro's version of V-brakes at both ends and the illustration shows mounting studs for them on the seatstays.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •