Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    Senior Member ka0use's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Denver, Freak Hill, Colorado
    My Bikes
    2003 Bianchi Lynx MTB bought new. Her name is Judy.
    Posts
    1,104
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    waaaaaaak! idiot in the shop!

    that would be me.

    went into denver this am, going to bike depot, a non-profit lbs. stopped for a couple of gyros at a new place and saw a sidewalk sale next door. they had 3 used tires, my size. ooooooo. i bought a dyno something with lotsa tread left for this winter. no cuts, no sidewall failing. $3!

    got to the shop, got a station and proceeded to 'true' the back wheel. i saw a park tension meter on the wall and used it to see what the average tension was. (you wrenches KNOW what happened next. like giving a five year old a hammer). i got the
    non-drive side set at 20 lbs and the drive side at 25 lbs. gave it a proud spin and.......

    lawsy me. looked like a still-drunk wino had done it. biblical case of wobble. it was alllllll
    over the place. i had 'falsed' the wheel, terminally, i feared.

    hmmm, i had read a couple of books that covered the subject. i suspicioned i missed something. time for help.

    an employee took pity on me, came to look, and like to died when he spun the wheel.

    what the hell happened here?

    ummmmmm.

    then i told him about the tensionmeter. i think he got a headache , but was very kind and started tweaking it. a couple of minutes later it was better than when i came in (and it was pretty good at that time) and he s'plained what he was doing and did it slow so i could put the info into my feeble mind. told me relying too much on numbers can get someone into trouble. tensionmeter is for folk more advanced than me (that would be most of the entire world) and said the same went for the 4 wheel alignment gauges i had been fondling. 2 of those french ones (different models) and 2 different park (portable and fixed). but i waaaaaaaant them!

    well, guilt drove me to buy another (spare) brake cable and i ponied (ponyed?) up $5 for their pizza kitty. he was much pleased. his headache seemed to have dissipated.


    i took a much-needed lunch break (the gyros) and whilst so engaged i saw a feller older than me pull up in something like a toyota echo. opened the back and started pulling on a bike wheel. the thing grew and grew. freaking out, thinking it was one of the surly moon bikes (monster balloon tires). the car looked like it was giving birth. whatever it was stuck and he was having a very hard time. i went to help and darned if the thing being birthed wasn't a sears ted williams free spirit adult trike. i'm thinking late 60s, early 70s. rough, but fixable. i lifted it out (now i'm a midwife) and he pushed it to the door which i held open after moving half the store displays. this thing is w-i-d-e. going to be his grocery and very short trip transport. works for me.

  2. #2
    Senior Member jeepr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Detroit, MI
    Posts
    552
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL.. I love a good story..

  3. #3
    Insane Bicycle Mechanic Jeff Wills's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    other Vancouver
    Posts
    6,957
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, so you're a midwife now?
    Jeff Wills

    All my bikes.

  4. #4
    Senior Member BCRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    The 'Wack, BC, Canada
    My Bikes
    Norco (2), Miyata, Canondale, Soma, Redline
    Posts
    5,435
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's nice to read a thread where we can all just smile and share in a good day well spent.
    Model airplanes are cool too!.....

  5. #5
    I let the dogs out AlphaDogg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Boulder, CO
    My Bikes
    2011 Fuji Roubaix 1.0, 2003 Ti Merlin Solis, & 1994 Raleigh MT200
    Posts
    1,934
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    YES! FINALLY ANOTHER DENVERITE ON THE FORUMS. Also, nice story .

    Edit: where is bike depot? I could use their services.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart View Post
    Weird spell/word check. "***" is "***". I'll never understand this computer. Andy.

  6. #6
    Mad bike riding scientist cyccommute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Denver, CO
    My Bikes
    Some silver ones, a black one, a red one, an orange one and a couple of titanium ones
    Posts
    15,966
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaDogg View Post
    YES! FINALLY ANOTHER DENVERITE ON THE FORUMS. Also, nice story .

    Edit: where is bike depot? I could use their services.
    The Bike Depot is located at 2825 Fairfax St. in Denver. ka0use's wheel is probably is better shape even after he applied his mechanical skills than most of the bikes that are worked on there
    Stuart Black
    Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
    Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!
    Days of Wineless Roads. Bed and Breakfasting along the KATY
    Twisting Down the Alley. Misadventures in tornado alley.
    An Good Ol' Fashion Appalachian Butt Whoopin'.

  7. #7
    I let the dogs out AlphaDogg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Boulder, CO
    My Bikes
    2011 Fuji Roubaix 1.0, 2003 Ti Merlin Solis, & 1994 Raleigh MT200
    Posts
    1,934
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So I shouldn't use them? There is another non profit bike repair place that I can think of in Denver. They are called Derailer (sic) Bicycle Collective. They supply bikes to the homeless and function solely off of donations.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart View Post
    Weird spell/word check. "***" is "***". I'll never understand this computer. Andy.

  8. #8
    Mad bike riding scientist cyccommute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Denver, CO
    My Bikes
    Some silver ones, a black one, a red one, an orange one and a couple of titanium ones
    Posts
    15,966
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaDogg View Post
    So I shouldn't use them? There is another non profit bike repair place that I can think of in Denver. They are called Derailer (sic) Bicycle Collective. They supply bikes to the homeless and function solely off of donations.
    I didn't mean to imply that there is anything wrong with Bike Depot (I volunteer there and am one of the shop leads). It's just that we see a whole lot of very rough bikes. I doubt that ka0use did more harm then we see on a regular basis.

    Feel free to bring a bike out. You can have mechanics work on your bike or you can fix it yourself. Check the link for the Fix-a-bike hours. I'm usually there on Saturday afternoon if you want to meet the famous - some would say infamous - Cyccommute. If you have old parts, old bikes or new ones to donate bring them along.
    Stuart Black
    Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
    Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!
    Days of Wineless Roads. Bed and Breakfasting along the KATY
    Twisting Down the Alley. Misadventures in tornado alley.
    An Good Ol' Fashion Appalachian Butt Whoopin'.

  9. #9
    I let the dogs out AlphaDogg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Boulder, CO
    My Bikes
    2011 Fuji Roubaix 1.0, 2003 Ti Merlin Solis, & 1994 Raleigh MT200
    Posts
    1,934
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can I trade old bikes for old parts that I could use?
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart View Post
    Weird spell/word check. "***" is "***". I'll never understand this computer. Andy.

  10. #10
    I let the dogs out AlphaDogg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Boulder, CO
    My Bikes
    2011 Fuji Roubaix 1.0, 2003 Ti Merlin Solis, & 1994 Raleigh MT200
    Posts
    1,934
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, would you be able to use old children's geared and singlespeed mountain bikes?
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart View Post
    Weird spell/word check. "***" is "***". I'll never understand this computer. Andy.

  11. #11
    Senior Member Medic Zero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Seattle
    My Bikes
    Old steel GT's, for touring and commuting
    Posts
    2,026
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was the idiot in the shop yesterday. Blew my front tube just before a long a descent where I probably break the speed limit. Doubly luckily though I not only blew it just as I rolled to a stop at a stop light but there is a big bike store there. Thrice luckily they actually had tubes to fit the Gatorskins I have mounted on my back-up bike. I was feeling alright at this point because I hadn't found my spare tube after switching over to the back-up bike and didn't really have time to patch one and make it into work on time. Come to think of it, I was lucky they were open at nearly 8PM too!

    So I purchase a couple of tubes, make it out to my bike parked outside, flip it over, pop open my courier bag (no racks on the spare bike yet ) and have a little mini-panic attack. Very uncharacteristic for me, usually I am cool as a cucumber! I see the tubes I just bought are Schraders not Prestas! Now I am stressing that the time it will take to exchange them will make me late for work for sure and start thinking about the fact I was lucky they had any tubes in 1 & an 1/8th x 26" and I didn't see any Presta ones. So I leave my unlocked bike sitting there upside down on the sidewalk out front and dash in. Of course, the counter is now deserted! Standing there holding the tubes and receipt in my hand, wondering if I can get the one I opened folded up decently and the rubber band around it and back in the box - it occurs to me which wheel I actually have on the front of this bike. Yes! It IS a Schrader! I'm stoked, but sheepishly slip back out of the store thankful no one was at the counter and hoping the guy who had helped me didn't notice my faux pax from the back of the store!
    Everyone hates your lights. Throw them away & buy something civilized.

  12. #12
    Mad bike riding scientist cyccommute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Denver, CO
    My Bikes
    Some silver ones, a black one, a red one, an orange one and a couple of titanium ones
    Posts
    15,966
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaDogg View Post
    Can I trade old bikes for old parts that I could use?
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaDogg View Post
    Also, would you be able to use old children's geared and singlespeed mountain bikes?
    I don't know about trading bikes for parts but they have a bunch of old parts for very reasonable prices and even some very nice old bikes for sale. They will always take donations. That's how the shop continues to operated.
    Stuart Black
    Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
    Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!
    Days of Wineless Roads. Bed and Breakfasting along the KATY
    Twisting Down the Alley. Misadventures in tornado alley.
    An Good Ol' Fashion Appalachian Butt Whoopin'.

  13. #13
    Senior Member ka0use's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Denver, Freak Hill, Colorado
    My Bikes
    2003 Bianchi Lynx MTB bought new. Her name is Judy.
    Posts
    1,104
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Wills View Post
    Oh, so you're a midwife now?
    your crack went well with your professor bunsen avatar and his pose! made me snort!

    'ohhhhhh, missy scarlett! ah don' know nuffin 'bout birfin' bayyyyybies!' (gone with the wind).

  14. #14
    Senior Member ka0use's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Denver, Freak Hill, Colorado
    My Bikes
    2003 Bianchi Lynx MTB bought new. Her name is Judy.
    Posts
    1,104
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Medic Zero View Post
    I was the idiot in the shop yesterday. Blew my front tube just before a long a descent where I probably break the speed limit. Doubly luckily though I not only blew it just as I rolled to a stop at a stop light but there is a big bike store there. Thrice luckily they actually had tubes to fit the Gatorskins I have mounted on my back-up bike. I was feeling alright at this point because I hadn't found my spare tube after switching over to the back-up bike and didn't really have time to patch one and make it into work on time. Come to think of it, I was lucky they were open at nearly 8PM too!

    So I purchase a couple of tubes, make it out to my bike parked outside, flip it over, pop open my courier bag (no racks on the spare bike yet ) and have a little mini-panic attack. Very uncharacteristic for me, usually I am cool as a cucumber! I see the tubes I just bought are Schraders not Prestas! Now I am stressing that the time it will take to exchange them will make me late for work for sure and start thinking about the fact I was lucky they had any tubes in 1 & an 1/8th x 26" and I didn't see any Presta ones. So I leave my unlocked bike sitting there upside down on the sidewalk out front and dash in. Of course, the counter is now deserted! Standing there holding the tubes and receipt in my hand, wondering if I can get the one I opened folded up decently and the rubber band around it and back in the box - it occurs to me which wheel I actually have on the front of this bike. Yes! It IS a Schrader! I'm stoked, but sheepishly slip back out of the store thankful no one was at the counter and hoping the guy who had helped me didn't notice my faux pax from the back of the store!
    EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! the 'idiocy' has spread to seattle!!
    where next?

    grab something and get it home without confirming it is what i need? a HEAPA times!

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Southern Colorado
    Posts
    163
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cyccommute View Post
    The Bike Depot is located at 2825 Fairfax St. in Denver. ka0use's wheel is probably is better shape even after he applied his mechanical skills than most of the bikes that are worked on there
    Sounds like a cool place, I'll have to stop in next time I am in town.

  16. #16
    Mad bike riding scientist cyccommute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Denver, CO
    My Bikes
    Some silver ones, a black one, a red one, an orange one and a couple of titanium ones
    Posts
    15,966
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Preynmantis View Post
    Sounds like a cool place, I'll have to stop in next time I am in town.
    It's a dangerous place to work but, thankfully, I pretty immune to old bikes
    Stuart Black
    Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
    Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!
    Days of Wineless Roads. Bed and Breakfasting along the KATY
    Twisting Down the Alley. Misadventures in tornado alley.
    An Good Ol' Fashion Appalachian Butt Whoopin'.

  17. #17
    Senior Member rekmeyata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    5,873
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ka0use View Post
    your crack went well with your professor bunsen avatar and his pose! made me snort!

    'ohhhhhh, missy scarlett! ah don' know nuffin 'bout birfin' bayyyyybies!' (gone with the wind).
    Frankly, I don't give a damn!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •