Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    advice between these two frames: schwinn circuit vs. sette xion

    Hi --

    I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice as to whether one frame is better than the other (aside from their price differences)?

    Sette Xion
    http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/225...Road-Frame.htm

    vs.

    Schwinn Circuit
    http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product..._10000__202389

    I am not by any means a racer...just a recreational cyclist who does not want to be called out as a poser

    Thanks in advance...

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    My Bikes
    '''96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '12 Surly Pacer, All are 3x8,9 or 10. It is hilly around here!
    Posts
    25,579
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Believe me, you won't be "called out as a poser" on either of these. Actually they seem to be tweedle dum and tweedle dee. Pricepoint does give more frame specs and geometry info than Nashbar but I expect you would find very little difference if you tried both.

  3. #3
    Banned.
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    My Bikes
    CCM Torino 76
    Posts
    937
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think there is very little difference between the quality of these frames. THe only difference I can tell is that the Schwinn seems to require a standard headset, and the Sette requires an integrated headset.

    If you are worried about the opinion of others then I would suggest something other than these two bikes - Schwinn for the past few years has developed a reputation for selling mainly dept. store bikes, and Sette is the discount 'no name' frames sold by pricepoint. If you plan to actually ride, as opposed to showing off, both of these will be fine.

    But what are you using the frame for? Are you building a bike from scratch? Have you got a bike with a damaged frame but is otherwise complete?

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DCB0 View Post
    I think there is very little difference between the quality of these frames. THe only difference I can tell is that the Schwinn seems to require a standard headset, and the Sette requires an integrated headset.

    If you are worried about the opinion of others then I would suggest something other than these two bikes - Schwinn for the past few years has developed a reputation for selling mainly dept. store bikes, and Sette is the discount 'no name' frames sold by pricepoint. If you plan to actually ride, as opposed to showing off, both of these will be fine.

    But what are you using the frame for? Are you building a bike from scratch? Have you got a bike with a damaged frame but is otherwise complete?
    I had a roommate that moved out leaving me his old road bike that has a cracked frame. So I was thinking of just moving the parts that I could to a new frame then if needed ...buy new parts that are specific to that new frame.

    Opps...poser might have been wrong word to use. I am more concern with not getting myself hurt riding a crappy frame.
    Last edited by smithms2; 09-08-11 at 04:01 PM.

  5. #5
    Banned.
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    My Bikes
    CCM Torino 76
    Posts
    937
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by smithms2 View Post
    I had a roommate that moved out leaving me his old road bike that has a cracked frame. So I was thinking of just moving the parts that I could to a new frame then if needed ...buy new parts that are specific to that new frame.

    Opps...poser might have been wrong word to use. I am more concern with not getting myself hurt riding a crappy frame.

    Is the old bike of quite good quality? How 'old' is old?

    Anyhoo, the frames you have mentioned, I am sure, are perfectly good frames and will give many miles of dependable service once built.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DCB0 View Post
    Is the old bike of quite good quality? How 'old' is old?

    Anyhoo, the frames you have mentioned, I am sure, are perfectly good frames and will give many miles of dependable service once built.
    Old = 2006 Giant OCR. So, I *think* I might be fine.
    Thanks for your help!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •