Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-08-11, 07:22 PM   #1
dinkjs
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Grapevine, Texas
Bikes:
Posts: 74
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Question regarding purchasing new bikes (in general) and LBS procedures

The 3 bikes I have bought have been already built or used....so my question is when you buy a new bike unbuilt do LBS usually give a discount since your the person putting it together and not them?
dinkjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-11, 07:39 PM   #2
igknighted
Senior Member
 
igknighted's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Somerville, MA
Bikes:
Posts: 414
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Most brands will not let the LBS sell a bike un-built. They are required to assemble and tune it to make sure everything is OK. We sell bikes to travelers all the time, especially those over from Europe, and have to build, tune, and then take apart and re-pack the bike for shipping. It's a pain, and if we could we would give it to them in the original box and let their shop build it. Unfortunately, the brands we carry will not let us do that. Mostly for warranty issues, but also for safety/liability issues as well I am sure.
igknighted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-11, 07:57 PM   #3
lverhagen
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Sesame Street
Bikes: Swobo Folsom, Diamond Back Master TG, Mongoose Alta, Huffy Daisy Tandem
Posts: 270
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I do not work in a bike shop, but what igknighted says above sounds like standard procedure across the board. Also, even if a bike shop did sell you an unbuilt bike, I doubt they would discount it substantially. As a buyer, and even as someone who knows a fair amount and tinkers a lot with bikes, I would rather like the assurance that is afforded by having my new bike assembled by a relatively experienced bike mechanic. Even if something was wrong with the bike, I can always take the bike back to the shop and have it remedied, or I can alert the shop of the mistake and fix it myself.

Cheers
lverhagen
lverhagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-11, 08:50 PM   #4
oldbobcat
Senior Member
 
oldbobcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Boulder County, CO
Bikes: '79 Gios, '80 Masi, '06 Felt, early '60s Frejus
Posts: 2,926
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Our shop discourages buying bikes in the carton but we will sell you one only if you convince us you're shipping it to another state where it will be professionally assembled. Customer-assembled bikes just introduces another considerable product liability risk and most of the time we'd probably just end up re-doing the job ourselves. Really, you should see some of the internet-purchased bikes we've been asked to "tune up and give it a safety check."
oldbobcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-11, 09:11 PM   #5
bradtx
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Pearland, Texas
Bikes: Cannondale, Trek, Raleigh, Santana
Posts: 6,619
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
dnkjs, AFIK the only unbuilt bikes available from a LBS are those sold as framesets. There are liability and warranty issues with selling a complete, yet unbuilt bike. Bikes Direct is the only place that I know of, there maybe others, that sells partially assembled completes, to be finished off by the owner or someone the owner hires.

Brad
bradtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-11, 12:28 AM   #6
lverhagen
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Sesame Street
Bikes: Swobo Folsom, Diamond Back Master TG, Mongoose Alta, Huffy Daisy Tandem
Posts: 270
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradtx View Post
dnkjs, AFIK the only unbuilt bikes available from a LBS are those sold as framesets. There are liability and warranty issues with selling a complete, yet unbuilt bike. Bikes Direct is the only place that I know of, there maybe others, that sells partially assembled completes, to be finished off by the owner or someone the owner hires.

Brad
Some manufacturers, especially smaller/newer ones, allow consumers to purchase directly from them and ship the bikes partially assembled, also many (most?) department store bikes can be purchased unbuilt from the store for a lower price, but larger manufacturers with well-established market credibility and dealer networks really have no need to sell bikes directly to customers.

Cheers
lverhagen
lverhagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-11, 07:31 AM   #7
HillRider 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Bikes: '''96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '12 Surly Pacer, All are 3x8,9 or 10. It is hilly around here!
Posts: 28,847
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
The only way I know of to get a bike in unbuilt form from an LBS is to buy the frame and fork and a separate "build kit". I bought my 1996 Litespeed that way. The LBS ordered the frame and fork and then a complete build kit from QBP so I could specify my crank length, bar width, stem length, etc. They delivered it all that way. I could have had them do the complete assembly (a friend did just that) but they had no objection to my doing it myself.
HillRider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-11, 08:42 AM   #8
well biked 
biked well
 
well biked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 7,070
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HillRider View Post
The only way I know of to get a bike in unbuilt form from an LBS is to buy the frame and fork and a separate "build kit". I bought my 1996 Litespeed that way. The LBS ordered the frame and fork and then a complete build kit from QBP so I could specify my crank length, bar width, stem length, etc. They delivered it all that way. I could have had them do the complete assembly (a friend did just that) but they had no objection to my doing it myself.
For your purposes, this made perfect sense. You got a high end frameset, that was obviously available for sale as a frameset, got to handpick your componentry, and ended up with exactly the bike you wanted. And were willing to pay for it. You also have the skill to assemble it.

But the OP is apparently asking with cost savings in mind. From most major bicycle manufacturers, only the highest end frames are available for sale by themselves, so the frame alone is going to be expensive. And again, from the OP's cost savings point of view, building up a bike with handpicked components is by far the most expensive way to buy a new bicycle. A complete, stock bicycle gives you by far the most bang for your buck.

I know you weren't trying to imply that purchasing a frame and components separately and then building the bike up yourself is a way to save money over a stock bike, but the OP may or may not understand this.

I own a brick and mortar LBS, so obviously I advocate going to a local shop and buying an assembled bike from them, with all the support you get with an LBS purchase. But if the OP is mostly concerned with cost, and has the skill to assemble a bike out of the box, then one of the online sellers of complete bikes might be an option to consider.
well biked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-11, 08:44 AM   #9
dinkjs
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Grapevine, Texas
Bikes:
Posts: 74
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by well biked View Post
For your purposes, this made perfect sense. You got a high end frameset, that was obviously available for sale as a frameset, got to handpick your componentry, and ended up with exactly the bike you wanted. And were willing to pay for it. You also have the skill to assemble it.

But the OP is apparently asking with cost savings in mind. From most major bicycle manufacturers, only the highest end frames are available for sale by themselves, so the frame alone is going to be expensive. And again, from the OP's cost savings point of view, building up a bike with handpicked components is by far the most expensive way to buy a new bicycle. A complete, stock bicycle gives you by far the most bang for your buck.

I know you weren't trying to imply that purchasing a frame and components separately and then building the bike up yourself is a way to save money over a stock bike, but the OP may or may not understand this.

I own a brick and mortar LBS, so obviously I advocate going to a local shop and buying an assembled bike from them, with all the support you get with an LBS purchase. But if the OP is mostly concerned with cost, and has the skill to assemble a bike out of the box, then one of the online sellers of complete bikes might be an option to consider.
Great reply but I had none of those things on my mind....just out of curiousity for my brain to find out what the procedure was...nothing else
dinkjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:29 PM.