Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-18-11, 01:49 AM   #1
cs1
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
cs1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Clev Oh
Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn
Posts: 6,669
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Campy Crank Experts I Need Some Help

As age sets in I'm finding my 30/42/52 triple to be increasingly more useless. I virtually never use the big ring. OTH, another bike has a Shimano 7 sp with 28/38/48. No problems with a 48 or 46T big ring. Seeing as Campy doesn't make that combo, what non-Campy crank will work my 10 sp set up? I'm not interested in a CT crank for that particular bike.

Ribble Bike has a Stronglight 110 BCD with the right gearing that supposedly is 10 sp compatible. I don't see a lot of Stronglight cranks stateside though.
cs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-11, 02:22 AM   #2
fietsbob 
coprolite
 
fietsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Bikes: 7
Posts: 19,743
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 469 Post(s)
if you have a 'Race Triple' the granny gear is a 74 BCD, so a 24t chainring is compatible , physically. think about a 26T cog?, 42-16t
campag gave up on the MTB sector in The 80's...

I have a 135-74 'Race triple', it has a 50/40 24t combo which seems fine.

I just run Freewheel hubs, on those, [got off the 'band wagon' at 7 speeds],
so my high gear cog is a 13T

BS RB1, 13 -28 f/w Rally RD, Newer Race triple 50/40/24 campag Triomphe 'Liesure' FD
old campag friction Bar end shifters

Last edited by fietsbob; 09-18-11 at 10:34 AM.
fietsbob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-11, 02:28 AM   #3
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!
 
Sixty Fiver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: YEG
Bikes: See my sig...
Posts: 27,262
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
You should find that any modern triple is 10 speed compatible... you could throw a touring triple on there and get a lower range than the 30-42 -52 offers and with a 110 bcd triple crank you get that 74 bcd inner that will run a 24 tooth ring.

Some older cranks might have a little too much spacing between the chain rings for the narrower 10 speed chain but in some cases the spacers can be changed if there are shifting issues.
Sixty Fiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-11, 07:44 AM   #4
DaveSSS
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Loveland, CO
Bikes: Two LOOK 585s, one KG461
Posts: 4,987
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I never like Campy's chainring offerings, so I always used FSA triple with my Campy drivetrain. One issue with other brands can be the difference in the chainline. If your seat tube is 32mm or larger, the chainline needs to be in the 46.5-47.5mm range. I got by with FSA's 46mm, but I had to squeeze the FD cage a bit narrower to use the 5.9mm 10 speed chain. The problem than can occur is the FD lever arm can come to rest on the seat tube and still not drop the chain onto the little ring.

It's a common misconception the the tooth spacing is significantly different on 9, 10 or 11 speed cranks, but in reality there is little difference. What is usually different is the amount of shifting ramp material on the rings.
DaveSSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-11, 08:58 AM   #5
cs1
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
cs1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Clev Oh
Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn
Posts: 6,669
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSSS View Post
I never like Campy's chainring offerings, so I always used FSA triple with my Campy drivetrain. One issue with other brands can be the difference in the chainline. If your seat tube is 32mm or larger, the chainline needs to be in the 46.5-47.5mm range. I got by with FSA's 46mm, but I had to squeeze the FD cage a bit narrower to use the 5.9mm 10 speed chain. The problem than can occur is the FD lever arm can come to rest on the seat tube and still not drop the chain onto the little ring.

It's a common misconception the the tooth spacing is significantly different on 9, 10 or 11 speed cranks, but in reality there is little difference. What is usually different is the amount of shifting ramp material on the rings.
Very interesting thanks for the info. I'm going to use it on a 28.6mm seat tube. Would that still hold true?
cs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-11, 09:28 AM   #6
Homebrew01
Super Moderator
 
Homebrew01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ffld Cnty Connecticut
Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales
Posts: 19,726
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Maybe a bit off topic, but I have a Campy 10 speed drivetrain on one bike, except for a "5-speed" crankset from 1984. No shifting problems at all.
__________________
Bikes: Old steel race bikes, old Cannondale race bikes, less old Cannondale race bike, crappy old mtn bike
Homebrew01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-11, 09:59 AM   #7
DaveSSS
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Loveland, CO
Bikes: Two LOOK 585s, one KG461
Posts: 4,987
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cs1 View Post
Very interesting thanks for the info. I'm going to use it on a 28.6mm seat tube. Would that still hold true?
The narrower chainline shouldn't be a problem with the smaller diameter seat tube.
DaveSSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-11, 10:24 AM   #8
cs1
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
cs1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Clev Oh
Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn
Posts: 6,669
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSSS View Post
The narrower chainline shouldn't be a problem with the smaller diameter seat tube.
I would imagine with Campy using friction shifting for the front derailleur it shouldn't be too much of a problem. I've been known to be wrong though. At least that's what the wife says.

Right now the bike in question has Campy barcon shifters.
cs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-11, 02:16 PM   #9
Greenfieldja
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Belgium
Bikes:
Posts: 989
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Whats more important than whether it is 10speed compatible is whether it is compatible with your bottom bracket.

What crankset are you running right now?
What bottom bracket are you using right now? (spindle lenght?)

If it is a square taper bottom bracket then you should be looking for an aftermarket crankset that is intended for a bottom bracket with ISO tapers.

The JIS taper looks very similar but has a different taper angle and although some have gotten them to work well they are not 100% interchangable and you can run into problems with the install and having them staying torqued to spec if you mix the two standards.

-j
Greenfieldja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-11, 03:51 PM   #10
cs1
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
cs1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Clev Oh
Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn
Posts: 6,669
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenfieldja View Post
Whats more important than whether it is 10speed compatible is whether it is compatible with your bottom bracket.

What crankset are you running right now?
What bottom bracket are you using right now? (spindle lenght?)

If it is a square taper bottom bracket then you should be looking for an aftermarket crankset that is intended for a bottom bracket with ISO tapers.

The JIS taper looks very similar but has a different taper angle and although some have gotten them to work well they are not 100% interchangable and you can run into problems with the install and having them staying torqued to spec if you mix the two standards.

-j
I know I'll probably have change BB's. It's a Veloce triple with the 115mm BB.
cs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-11, 02:27 PM   #11
cs1
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
cs1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Clev Oh
Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn
Posts: 6,669
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Has anyone ever used one of the Athena 11 sp cranks in AL?
cs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:07 AM.