Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Senior Member CACycling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Oxnard, CA
    My Bikes
    '08 Fuji Roubaix RC; '07 Schwinn Le Tour GS; '92 Diamond Back Ascent EX
    Posts
    4,477
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Hollowtech II BB Parts

    Anyone know if replacement parts are available for the Hollowtech II BBs? I've been opening them up to clean and regrease as needed and ended up breaking the plastic cover. Anyone know of a source for replacements? I'm running Ultegra but assume all the road BBs use the same part.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    West Yorkshire, United Kingdom
    Posts
    3,814
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They have "DO NOT DISASSEMBLE" printed on them for a reason, which you have found out.

    Suggest you need to look at how you are maintaining your BB, as it does not need to be taken apart.

    If you want to re-grease the bearings, you really need to b replacing them, with something like these http://www.enduroforkseals.com/id227.html

  3. #3
    Senior Member CACycling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Oxnard, CA
    My Bikes
    '08 Fuji Roubaix RC; '07 Schwinn Le Tour GS; '92 Diamond Back Ascent EX
    Posts
    4,477
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jimc101 View Post
    They have "DO NOT DISASSEMBLE" printed on them for a reason....
    Yes, so Shimano can sell more BBs. I have disassembled, cleaned, greased and reassembled these types of BBs several times without issue. Just wasn't careful enough this time. There's nothing magical inside, just bearings that can be cleaned and greased. Was hoping there might be a source for the part I need so I can keep this BB in service. If not, it will stay around for parts.

    The link you provided is great but at $120 for the tool, I'll stick with cleaning and lubing the bearings Shimano has in there.

  4. #4
    SE Wis dedhed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    My Bikes
    '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400
    Posts
    2,419
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400

  5. #5
    pmt
    pmt is offline
    Experienced
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,001
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, when you can buy both cups new on eBay for $10-$15, it's kind of hard to justify messing around with them much.

  6. #6
    Senior Member CACycling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Oxnard, CA
    My Bikes
    '08 Fuji Roubaix RC; '07 Schwinn Le Tour GS; '92 Diamond Back Ascent EX
    Posts
    4,477
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks but those are the complete assemblies. I was hoping the plastic cover would be available somewhere.

  7. #7
    Senior Member CACycling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Oxnard, CA
    My Bikes
    '08 Fuji Roubaix RC; '07 Schwinn Le Tour GS; '92 Diamond Back Ascent EX
    Posts
    4,477
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pmt View Post
    Yeah, when you can buy both cups new on eBay for $10-$15, it's kind of hard to justify messing around with them much.
    It doesn't take much effort or time to clean and grease them and costs pennies. Just seems wasteful to me to toss something that still has a ton of life left in it.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    My Bikes
    '''96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '12 Surly Pacer, All are 3x8,9 or 10. It is hilly around here!
    Posts
    26,804
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try contacting Shimano America directly and see if the have the part available. Their phone number is on their web site under "contact us"

  9. #9
    Senior Member MudPie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    1,874
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CACycling View Post
    It doesn't take much effort or time to clean and grease them and costs pennies. Just seems wasteful to me to toss something that still has a ton of life left in it.
    I tend to agree that we tend to replace and dispose of items when they can be refurbished. I did enjoy the cup and cone days of wheel hubs and bottom brackets back in the day. It was a bit of an art just getting the proper pre-load on the bearings, and even more satisfying when you knew how to set the hubs with a tiny bit of play, and let the skewer action take up the slack.

    On the other hand, I have over 11,500 miles on a wheelset without any indication of problems. I've never touched the bearings and they spin very smooth.


    Oh well...that's progress, I guess.

  10. #10
    SE Wis dedhed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    My Bikes
    '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400
    Posts
    2,419
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can find the shimano part #'s here.

    http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/te...9830621034.pdf

    Good luck
    '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    220
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dear CaCycling, I think I found what you are looking for
    see http://www.armitagebikeshop.com/Prod...st.aspx?k=6105
    It seems that this plastic shell/sleeve comes in 2 different variants, you have to figure out which one it is (worse case order both) The direct Shimano approach suggested by hillrider with posted techdoc by dedhed seems not to be helpful, since it only lists the bearing cup as a whole (again following the Shimano "do not disassemble statement), which I - same as many other forum members- have repeatedly disobeyed. A $120 tool is also not needed - a set of various 1/2 and 3/4 drive sockets and a vise (and caution) have done the job for me. I normally don't regrease those bearings but rather replace them (supply is easily found in 10 packs from various bearing suppliers 25x37x7 for me).

  12. #12
    Senior Member CACycling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Oxnard, CA
    My Bikes
    '08 Fuji Roubaix RC; '07 Schwinn Le Tour GS; '92 Diamond Back Ascent EX
    Posts
    4,477
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnhr View Post
    Dear CaCycling, I think I found what you are looking for
    see http://www.armitagebikeshop.com/Prod...st.aspx?k=6105
    It seems that this plastic shell/sleeve comes in 2 different variants, you have to figure out which one it is (worse case order both) The direct Shimano approach suggested by hillrider with posted techdoc by dedhed seems not to be helpful, since it only lists the bearing cup as a whole (again following the Shimano "do not disassemble statement), which I - same as many other forum members- have repeatedly disobeyed. A $120 tool is also not needed - a set of various 1/2 and 3/4 drive sockets and a vise (and caution) have done the job for me. I normally don't regrease those bearings but rather replace them (supply is easily found in 10 packs from various bearing suppliers 25x37x7 for me).
    Thank you. That's exactly what I was looking for. I decided to go for a bearing replacement the next time (just ordered the bearings) instead of cleaning/greasing. We'll see how that goes.

  13. #13
    Gear Combo Guru Chris_W's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Switzerland
    My Bikes
    Spec' Tarmac (road), Spec' Secteur Disc (commuter & tourer), Salsa Mamasita (MTB), CoMo Speedster (tandem), Surly Big Dummy (cargo), Airnimal (folder), a train pass, and NO car :)
    Posts
    2,144
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hope also makes HT II compatible BBs that are designed to be serviceable, they even have videos posted online showing you how to. I prefer to use these instead of the Shimano version.

  14. #14
    Senior Member CACycling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Oxnard, CA
    My Bikes
    '08 Fuji Roubaix RC; '07 Schwinn Le Tour GS; '92 Diamond Back Ascent EX
    Posts
    4,477
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_W View Post
    Hope also makes HT II compatible BBs that are designed to be serviceable, they even have videos posted online showing you how to. I prefer to use these instead of the Shimano version.
    Thanks. I'll check those out as well.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •