Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 24 of 24
  1. #1
    Have bike, will travel Barrettscv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Windy City
    My Bikes
    A road bike for every purpose
    Posts
    9,367
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Anyone using a K-Edge Chain Deflector/Catcher

    I need to add a chain guide to my road bike. The Carbon fiber frame has a seat-tube that tapers and flairs-out about an inch below the derailleur clamp. It won't take a Third-eye Chainwatcher.

    It will allow this to be installed: http://www.cambriabike.com/shopexd.asp?Item=100053127

    Do these keep the chain from over-shifting? I'm using a 105 5603 triple crank-set with an aftermarket 26t granny gear. The chain will drop when I upshift from the 26t to the middle chain-ring about 1/4 of the time. I'm considering reinstalling the stock 30t, but would install the chain-catcher as added insurance.

    Does the K-Edge Chain Deflector/Catcher work? Do they work with a road triple?

  2. #2
    Have bike, will travel Barrettscv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Windy City
    My Bikes
    A road bike for every purpose
    Posts
    9,367
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found a model specific for triples: http://www.acecosportgroup.com/shop/...n-catcher.html

  3. #3
    Pug
    Pug is offline
    High Modulus Pug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Madison, NJ
    My Bikes
    Cervelo R3, Jamis Nova, Ridley Phaeton
    Posts
    634
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Works great on my compact double.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Jed19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    3,850
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Barrettscv View Post
    I found a model specific for triples: http://www.acecosportgroup.com/shop/...n-catcher.html
    I think this should work. And please report back as to how effective this works with your 26t after-market granny gear, as I also have a Shimano 30t that came stock on an Ultegra 6600 crank that I am considering swapping for an after-market 26t.

    Oh, do it fast, as I once saw what damage a dropped chain could do on a carbon frame. It wasn't pretty.
    Regards,

    Jed

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Cleveland Ohio
    My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix, Ridley Boreas, Felt AR4, and Haro mtb
    Posts
    95
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It works great. I have triples on all my bikes and use this on all of them but I don't go below 30t on the small ring. As long as it reaches below the edge of the chainring it should be fine.

    Greg

  6. #6
    Have bike, will travel Barrettscv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Windy City
    My Bikes
    A road bike for every purpose
    Posts
    9,367
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jed19 View Post
    I think this should work. And please report back as to how effective this works with your 26t after-market granny gear, as I also have a Shimano 30t that came stock on an Ultegra 6600 crank that I am considering swapping for an after-market 26t.

    Oh, do it fast, as I once saw what damage a dropped chain could do on a carbon frame. It wasn't pretty.
    Yes, in-fact I have not used the granny gear out of fear of trashing the frame. The new parts are on the way.

    the K-edge website says that a 26t is OK. Does the device position the chain correctly over the chain-ring, or does it just keep it off the frame? Once the chain becomes un-wrapped, can you just pedal and up-shift to the middle or large ring, or do you need to reinstall the chain by hand? I'm using a Third Eye catcher on my steel CX bike and I'm able to keep riding by just upshifting and I don't have to get off the bike to reinstall the chain.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,516
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is digressing a little but what brand 26t ring are you using? I found that a Salsa ring worked better than a Sugino with my Shimano triple.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    My Bikes
    '''96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '12 Surly Pacer, All are 3x8,9 or 10. It is hilly around here!
    Posts
    25,970
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Barrettscv View Post
    Once the chain becomes un-wrapped, can you just pedal and up-shift to the middle or large ring, or do you need to reinstall the chain by hand? I'm using a Third Eye catcher on my steel CX bike and I'm able to keep riding by just upshifting and I don't have to get off the bike to reinstall the chain.
    I think you have too much clearance between the "finger" of the chain watcher and the inner face of the chainring. Set up properly the chain should not be able to move past the teeth of the chainring. Shift into the granny and the big cog and adjust the finger to just barely clear the chain's side plates. Also be sure the chain watcher is set high enough to guide the chain onto the granny ring.

  9. #9
    Have bike, will travel Barrettscv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Windy City
    My Bikes
    A road bike for every purpose
    Posts
    9,367
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shelbyfv View Post
    This is digressing a little but what brand 26t ring are you using? I found that a Salsa ring worked better than a Sugino with my Shimano triple.
    I'm using a no-name chainring supplied by Harris. I'll look into the Salsa.
    Last edited by Barrettscv; 09-20-11 at 09:08 AM.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Jed19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    3,850
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HillRider View Post
    I think you have too much clearance between the "finger" of the chain watcher and the inner face of the chainring. Set up properly the chain should not be able to move past the teeth of the chainring. Shift into the granny and the big cog and adjust the finger to just barely clear the chain's side plates. Also be sure the chain watcher is set high enough to guide the chain onto the granny ring.
    +1 on HillRider's set-up method.
    Regards,

    Jed

  11. #11
    Have bike, will travel Barrettscv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Windy City
    My Bikes
    A road bike for every purpose
    Posts
    9,367
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HillRider View Post
    I think you have too much clearance between the "finger" of the chain watcher and the inner face of the chainring. Set up properly the chain should not be able to move past the teeth of the chainring. Shift into the granny and the big cog and adjust the finger to just barely clear the chain's side plates. Also be sure the chain watcher is set high enough to guide the chain onto the granny ring.
    On the bike with the Third Eye Watcher, I do have it installed as described. The chain never drops to the BB shell where the external bearing is installed. Because the inside plate on the derailleur is designed for a 30t chainring, the chain disengages from the chainring and just sits on the chain retainer when I upshift. The good news is that I can get it back on the 50t outer chainring by just gently pedaling and upshifting. It's not ideal, but I don't lose pace and I stay on the bike.

    I have not used the K Edge item yet.
    Last edited by Barrettscv; 09-20-11 at 11:56 AM.

  12. #12
    Senior Member ErnieAZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Posts
    79
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm using a K-Edge Cross Double Ring on a mountain bike. It works fine. It was the only catcher/deflector with a mounting ring narrow enough to go below a front derailleur clamp on the seat tube. Solid piece of equipment, no flex.

  13. #13
    Gear Combo Guru Chris_W's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Switzerland
    My Bikes
    Spec' Tarmac (road), Spec' Secteur Disc (commuter & tourer), Salsa Mamasita (MTB), CoMo Speedster (tandem), Surly Big Dummy (cargo), Airnimal (folder), a train pass, and NO car :)
    Posts
    2,084
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've used the K-Edge on several double cranks, and it works well. I've not had a chance to use the triple version, so I'm pleased to see others have had good experiences with it.

  14. #14
    Have bike, will travel Barrettscv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Windy City
    My Bikes
    A road bike for every purpose
    Posts
    9,367
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've assembled the K-Edge Chain deflector for triple, Shimano FD-5703 front derailleur and the Shimano SM-AD15 clamp band for front derailleur (34.9mm size). The three part assembly is pictured below;





    I was concerned that the K-Edge Chain deflector needed a braze-on plate to install, but it fits properly on the Shimano SM-AD15 clamp band. So far, so good.
    Last edited by Barrettscv; 09-24-11 at 02:06 PM.

  15. #15
    Have bike, will travel Barrettscv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Windy City
    My Bikes
    A road bike for every purpose
    Posts
    9,367
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got it all installed and took a 4 mile test ride. The K-Edge Chain deflector for triples is more than long enough for a 26t, it might even be long enough for a 24t.

    The bike shifted perfectly, so I had no derailled chain to fully test the device. The K-Edge Chain deflector will keep the chain off the carbon fiber, for sure. I hope it also helps put the chain back on the chainring like other retainers I've used.
    Last edited by Barrettscv; 09-25-11 at 11:02 AM.

  16. #16
    Senior Member Looigi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    7,587
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Barrettscv View Post
    ...I had no derailled chain to fully test the device...
    If it's adjusted properly and working, you won't get a dropped chain. It prevents it in the first place.

  17. #17
    Have bike, will travel Barrettscv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Windy City
    My Bikes
    A road bike for every purpose
    Posts
    9,367
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm hoping that it keeps the chain in place even when the derailleur can't.

  18. #18
    Senior Member Jed19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    3,850
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Looigi View Post
    If it's adjusted properly and working, you won't get a dropped chain. It prevents it in the first place.
    Installing it properly is key. If properly installed, the K-Edge is not gonna leave enough room for the chain to drop into. The chain should bump against it before it can find a hole to drop into.

    The smallest space between the chain when on the smallest innermost ring and the chain deflector is usually the installation instruction for those kind of contraptions..
    Regards,

    Jed

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    67
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Barrettscv View Post
    I've assembled the K-Edge Chain deflector for triple, Shimano FD-5703 front derailleur and the Shimano SM-AD15 clamp band for front derailleur (34.9mm size). The three part assembly is pictured below;





    I was concerned that the K-Edge Chain deflector needed a braze-on plate to install, but it fits properly on the Shimano SM-AD15 clamp band. So far, so good.
    How many extra pieces do you have left over? You should have the old bolt, one new bolt, and either a lock washer or "a new radius washer with secure mounting interface". There's a lock washer in the photo. The replacement radius washer is nice, but you can't fit it. I think you need a lock washer between the clamp and catcher to keep the catcher from twisting away if the chain hits it.

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    My Bikes
    2011 Cannondale Synapse 5 Jamis Durango 3
    Posts
    71
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I purchased a Cannondale Synapse Carbon 5 in August and had my LBS order and install a K-Edge for me as cheap insurance. I had one chain suck prior to the installation and that sold me to take action to prevent further incidents.

  21. #21
    Gear Combo Guru Chris_W's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Switzerland
    My Bikes
    Spec' Tarmac (road), Spec' Secteur Disc (commuter & tourer), Salsa Mamasita (MTB), CoMo Speedster (tandem), Surly Big Dummy (cargo), Airnimal (folder), a train pass, and NO car :)
    Posts
    2,084
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pluto, you're probably using the phrase "chain suck" wrongly here. The K-Edge cannot prevent chain suck (i.e., the chain not releasing properly from the bottom edge of the chainring), it can only prevent chain derailments off the inside of the inner ring at the top.

  22. #22
    Senior Member jmess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    PDX
    My Bikes
    Orbea & Bianchi
    Posts
    270
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ordered a K-Edge Road Triple Catcher from Universal Cycles for $37.99 shipped.

  23. #23
    Have bike, will travel Barrettscv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Windy City
    My Bikes
    A road bike for every purpose
    Posts
    9,367
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skinny Fred View Post
    How many extra pieces do you have left over? You should have the old bolt, one new bolt, and either a lock washer or "a new radius washer with secure mounting interface". There's a lock washer in the photo. The replacement radius washer is nice, but you can't fit it. I think you need a lock washer between the clamp and catcher to keep the catcher from twisting away if the chain hits it.
    Yes, I think you may be right about the added washer and a star washer might be needed to keep the arm aligned. I'm going to try the set-up as is and see if it stays in place. The radius washer is needed for a true braze-on installation, but not when a clamp is used.

  24. #24
    Have bike, will travel Barrettscv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Windy City
    My Bikes
    A road bike for every purpose
    Posts
    9,367
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a follow-up report.

    I have about 600 miles the bike using the K-Edge Road Triple Catcher and am pleased with the item. The bike has been shifting perfectly, so I intentionally did a set of rapid up and down shifts at a slow cadence. The chain derailed, but the K-Edge Road Triple Catcher guided the chain onto the small chain-ring. The riding was uninterrupted. I would not have been aware of the event, if I had not been looking at the chain and chain-rings.

    I'll use these on all my bikes, just for insurance.
    2014 Trek DS.1: "Viaggiatore" A do-it-all bike that is waiting in Italy
    2012 Pedal Force CG2: "Secolo Bicicletta" the modern carbon fiber road bike
    2012 Pedal Force CX2: "Carbone CX" the carbon fiber CX bike
    2010 Origin 8 CX 700: "Servizio Grave" Monstercross/29er bike
    1997 Simoncini Special Cyclocross: "Little Simon" lugged Columbus steel CX bike
    1987 Serotta Nova Special X: "Azzurri" The retro Columbus SPX steel road bike
    1971ish Peugeot PX10: "Fancy Lugs"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •