Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Senior Member fusilierdan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Rockland County, NY
    My Bikes
    Giant TCRC2 2007, Dahon MU P8 2012, GT Avalance 2011
    Posts
    289
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Coaster brake on MTB frame

    In an effort to lessen the maintence on my commuter I'm thinking of replacing the 6 speed rear wheel with a coaster brake wheel. Can this be done. It looks like the spacing on the frame is 130 mm. Most of the wheels I've seen on line have been 110 mm can they be made to fit with spacers? Also what else will I need? I may go thruogh my LBS but I want to be sure of most of the costs before so I don't put too much money into an older bike. Thanks

  2. #2
    Quirky Grifter LesterOfPuppets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Vancouver, USA
    My Bikes
    My War
    Posts
    20,418
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    How much is too much? Sram imotion 3-speed is $75 (dunno how much the shifter is). Might need new spokes too. Maybe $27-36. Assuming you can build wheels and you have 36 hole rims.

    What kind of maintenance issues are you having? 6-speed stuff is really cheap to take care of and if you've friction shifters on it it's incredibly easy also.
    1980ish Free Spirit Sunbird fixed * 1996 Mongoose IBOC Zero-G * 1997 KHS Comp * 1990-ish Scapin * Lemond Buenos Aires Triple

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    New Rochelle, NY
    My Bikes
    too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter
    Posts
    20,957
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If the coaster wheel has a long enough axle, you can add 10mm in spacers on either side. If not you can replace the axle for small dollars then add the spacers, so it's fairly straightforward. A minor problem may be attaching the brake arm to the left chainstay since they'll be misaligned by about 10mm.

    The biggest issue will be your frame. If you have vertical dropouts you have to seek a so-called magic gear combination, because you can't use a chain tensioner with a coaster brake wheel.

    The bright side is that prebuilt 26x1.75 coaster brake wheels are relatively cheap, so it's just a matter of possibly a new axle, and some creative thinking.
    Last edited by FBinNY; 09-22-11 at 08:31 PM.
    FB
    Chain-L site

    An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

    “Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin

    “One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

    WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    4,213
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I stuck a coaster brake wheel in a frame not intended for that purpose once, and promptly bent the chainstay at the reaction arm bracket when braking. YMMV though.

  5. #5
    Senior Member fusilierdan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Rockland County, NY
    My Bikes
    Giant TCRC2 2007, Dahon MU P8 2012, GT Avalance 2011
    Posts
    289
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets View Post
    How much is too much? Sram imotion 3-speed is $75 (dunno how much the shifter is). Might need new spokes too. Maybe $27-36. Assuming you can build wheels and you have 36 hole rims.

    What kind of maintenance issues are you having? 6-speed stuff is really cheap to take care of and if you've friction shifters on it it's incredibly easy also.
    I was hoping to keep it around $50.00. I can't build wheels. No major issues on maintenance it's more that I don't feel like doing it. I always seem to put it off and am reminded twice a day it needs to be done:-)

    FBinNY
    I have semi horizontal dropouts so that's not an issue. I'm running 1.5" tires w/100# pressure and am concerned that they won' fit on a 1.75 rim.

  6. #6
    Senior member Dan Burkhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Oakville Ontario
    Posts
    4,903
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FBinNY View Post
    If the coaster wheel has a long enough axle, you can add 10mm in spacers on either side. If not you can replace the axle for small dollars then add the spacers, so it's fairly straightforward. A minor problem may be attaching the brake arm to the left chainstay since they'll be misaligned by about 10mm.

    The biggest issue will be your frame. If you have vertical dropouts you have to seek a so-called magic gear combination, because you can't use a chain tensioner with a coaster brake wheel.

    The bright side is that prebuilt 26x1.75 coaster brake wheels are relatively cheap, so it's just a matter of possibly a new axle, and some creative thinking.
    Many, (most?) single speed coaster hubs use 3/8x24 tpi axles rather than the bicycle standard of 3/8x26.
    Standard threaded rod (3/8 UNF) is 3/8x24. You could make an axle with that, but I think you'd need to look for one with higher grade steel than you'd find at the hardware store.
    Gearhubs demystified and other cool stuff.


    Rule #12: The correct number of bikes to own is n+1

  7. #7
    Senior Member BCRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    The 'Wack, BC, Canada
    My Bikes
    Norco (2), Miyata, Canondale, Soma, Redline
    Posts
    5,430
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Threaded rod from the hardware stores is soft. Bicycle axles are fully hardened then spring tempered and made from steel which allows it to be heat treated. Nothing you'll find at a hardware store will be of the same strength as a bike axle. And since the threaded rod stock is mild steel you can't harden and temper it like with tool grade steels. So that's a non starter on using threaded rod I'm afraid.
    Model airplanes are cool too!.....

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    New Rochelle, NY
    My Bikes
    too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter
    Posts
    20,957
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart View Post
    Many, (most?) single speed coaster hubs use 3/8x24 tpi axles rather than the bicycle standard of 3/8x26.
    Standard threaded rod (3/8 UNF) is 3/8x24. You could make an axle with that, but I think you'd need to look for one with higher grade steel than you'd find at the hardware store.
    The 3/8" x 24tpi coaster brake axle is readily available, so there's no need to scrounge a non-suitable replacement. A non heat treated axle won't survive 10 minutes, and the odds of finding suitable bar stock in the right grade and thread are near zero.

    If you're searching for a 3/8" x 24 axle and don't find one, search instead for 9.5mm x 24 which is the same under a different name (a roose by any other name...)
    FB
    Chain-L site

    An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

    “Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin

    “One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

    WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    425
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Re-space the frame? Assuming it is steel. That would be a cheap way of getting the job done.

  10. #10
    coprolite fietsbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    NW,Oregon Coast
    My Bikes
    7
    Posts
    450
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    look into a combination 3 speed hub and coaster brake,
    the beach cruiser bikes are downgrading the coaster hub to near tur* quality
    these days.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    425
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can get a Velosteel hub in a 130mm spacing. Elegant wheels also has wheels. I've never dealt with Elegant Wheels, just noticed that they sell velosteel hubs. I've never used a Velosteel hub either, but supposedly they are an old Sachs design made in the Czech Republic.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •