Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    clicking sound while pedaling

    Hi everyone, I would greatly appreciate it if someone could help me diagnose some sounds my bike is making:

    I get fairly loud clicking noises when I pedal. It's hard to tell what kind of pedaling causes it. But sometimes there's even a few in rapid succession (often when going over a bump) and then it's almost a ratcheting sound. It's not just a matter of a certain pressure on the pedal, but it's more likely if there's more pressure it seems.

    It's almost like the chain slips a little; I feel it, not just hear it.

    here are a couple videos of the clicking in action:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OI_DULoAtQU
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0McFGl0XRw

    Let me know what you think, or if you want any other info. thanks

    (I've searched for a while - the BB seems to be blamed in other threads, but I don't see why it would kind of snap like that or do the rapid clicking sometimes)

  2. #2
    In the right lane gerv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Des Moines
    My Bikes
    1974 Huffy 3 speed
    Posts
    9,531
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I looked at the first video, but it didn't tell me much.

    First things I would try:
    1. Remove the pedals from the cranks and replace with another set.
    2. Take the chain off the crank and spin the crank.

    If neither of these isolated the problem, I would begin to suspect chain rings or chain ring bolts.

  3. #3
    Senior Member oldroads's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    663
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It looks like it has a kickstand though your camera is only showing the right hand side of the cycle.
    Anyway, if it does have a kickstand, your left pedal is hitting it.
    Just move it in and tighten it up.
    Vinny - Menotomy Vintage Bicycles - OldRoads.com
    BUY/SELL forum (no fees) - Price Guides - 19 years of archives

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Jacksonville Florida
    My Bikes
    Raleigh Glacier MTB/Commuter. Cannondale CAAD5, Windsor Timeline fixed gear
    Posts
    765
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you have the tools to do it (or you can get the tools to do it pretty cheap). I just had what looks to be the same issue. I just removed my cranks and cartridge bottom bracket, and greased all the threads and put it back together. I no longer have this clicking. Im not sure if I just got lucky, or if this is a common thing to happen. So for ~$20 in tools, I got it fixed for less than the LBS would charge for a new BB if thats what they would have changed.

    Also, if you do decide to get the tools, pay the extra $2 for the Park crank puller, dont get the Nashbar one and have it brake on you like I did... I didnt notice the prices were so similar, or I would have gotten the park the first time!
    Quote Originally Posted by M_S View Post
    ..... but at the end of the day we're all just dorks riding around on bicycles, right?

  5. #5
    Sprocket App Founder NukeouT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    My Bikes
    1996 LeMond Yellow Jersey, 2013 Soma Saga, 1980 Zebrakenko Wind, 1980 Nishiki Ultimate
    Posts
    440
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MyBikeGotStolen View Post
    I just removed my cranks and cartridge bottom bracket, and greased all the threads and put it back together. I no longer have this clicking.
    Could be what I had, where the previous owner overtightened the crank arm to the square taper spindle creating a bigger crank hole. For me the looseness between the two metal joints under stress, is what was causing the clicking. I replaced the faulty part with a Shimano Sora crank and I dont have that clicking anymore.
    Sprocket bike info catalog app
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.retrographic.sprocket&hl=en

  6. #6
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by oldroads View Post
    It looks like it has a kickstand though your camera is only showing the right hand side of the cycle.
    Anyway, if it does have a kickstand, your left pedal is hitting it.
    Just move it in and tighten it up.
    yeah, the kickstand is loose and that's what i thought at first, but it's definitely not the kickstand.

  7. #7
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MyBikeGotStolen View Post
    If you have the tools to do it (or you can get the tools to do it pretty cheap). I just had what looks to be the same issue. I just removed my cranks and cartridge bottom bracket, and greased all the threads and put it back together. I no longer have this clicking. Im not sure if I just got lucky, or if this is a common thing to happen. So for ~$20 in tools, I got it fixed for less than the LBS would charge for a new BB if thats what they would have changed.

    Also, if you do decide to get the tools, pay the extra $2 for the Park crank puller, dont get the Nashbar one and have it brake on you like I did... I didnt notice the prices were so similar, or I would have gotten the park the first time!
    did you ever have multiple clicks in rapid succession where it sounds like someone ratcheting something?

  8. #8
    Senior Member mgw189's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Binghamtony,NY
    My Bikes
    2011 Trek 7.3 FX
    Posts
    171
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a similar thing going on with my Trex 7.3FX for me it was just a matter of tightening things back up as they had came loose after about 500 miles of riding. I did take it to the LBS to have them deal with it because the bike was only 3 months old essentially.

  9. #9
    Airborne Marauder Decatur_Tide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    River City
    Posts
    98
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got a click in my left pedal when the left pedal gets to the bottom only when riding. If I turn the pedals by hand with the bike upside down there is no click.

    Any suggestions?

  10. #10
    Senior Member oldroads's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    663
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Decatur_Tide View Post
    I've got a click in my left pedal when the left pedal gets to the bottom only when riding. If I turn the pedals by hand with the bike upside down there is no click.

    Any suggestions?


    Time to replace the pedals, or rebuild them.
    Vinny - Menotomy Vintage Bicycles - OldRoads.com
    BUY/SELL forum (no fees) - Price Guides - 19 years of archives

  11. #11
    Senior Member long john's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    new york
    My Bikes
    cuevas
    Posts
    574
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    click

    i had that prob last week on the cargo bike i just put together lots of clicking it turned out to be the crank needed to be tightened no more click.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Jacksonville Florida
    My Bikes
    Raleigh Glacier MTB/Commuter. Cannondale CAAD5, Windsor Timeline fixed gear
    Posts
    765
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nsinkov View Post
    did you ever have multiple clicks in rapid succession where it sounds like someone ratcheting something?
    Nope, the only time I heard the clicking was when I was quickly accelerating, or climbing a hill or and other reason to be applying a harder force than just a normal cruising. (Can you tell I am in the middle of physics/dynamics homework, lol?).

    I always had the click in the exact same 1/8th of a turn from my non-drive crank being straight up.
    Quote Originally Posted by M_S View Post
    ..... but at the end of the day we're all just dorks riding around on bicycles, right?

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    SW Ohio
    Posts
    75
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had this issue with a new crank and new pedals. Thought it was the bearings. But, it turned out to be caused by pedal threads in crank arm, because when I switched pedals and then switched back to teh originals teh sound dissappeared. I relubed the threads so it was either that or the other pedal modified the threads in the crank slightly.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •