Hi everyone, I'm from Italy...it's two days that I googled seeking tips for Shimano mtb - road component compatibility and most of the times the results link this forum, so I decided to sign in...
I will explain my "problem" and hope that someone can solve or tell me something...
I'm working on creating my new travel-bike (it's an auto-gift for my degree ) and there are a lot of things that are not so clear to me...I'm not a bike component expert at all but in these days I read lots of things and started to understand something...
Since now I travel with a mtb with a 44/32/22 crankset and a 9sp cassette 11-32 but on this new bike I would like a more race attidute, I would like to mount a race handlebar...
During the decision process I started to think to mount a Shimano 105 group, but the rear derailleur of 11-28 (10sp) and a triple front crankset 50/39/30 is not so good for climbing with panniers on the back so I moved my mind on another solution...mixing a mtb group like XT and the 105...
here my big questions
1) I would like to maintain the 105 STI levers (5703 10sp-compatible) and I read that the compatibility of them with an XT 9sp M770 rear derailleur is okay...you confirm this?
2) I read that the XT M773-3 front derailleur is not compatible with the 105 STI levers (5703 10sp-compatible)...you also confirm this?
3) If 2) is not possible, can I mount the XT M771 crankset 48/36/26 with the 105 front derailleur and use it with the 105 STI levers (5703 10sp-compatible)?
4) The last one (but it's only a curiosity for now) ...105 STI levers (5703 10sp-compatible) are okay with mechanical disk brakes Avid BB7?
In conclusion...this is the solution I would like to mount
- crankset: Deore XT M771 48/36/26
- front derailleur: 105 5703
- rear derailleur: Deore XT M770 SGS
- cassette: Deore Xt M770 11-32 9-speed
- chain: HG73 or HG93
- movimento centrale: M771
- hubs: 105 5700
- levers: 105 5703 STI
- brakes: some Shimano cantilever or Avid BB7 mechanical disk brakes
hope I don't bored you
can you help me?