Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-19-11, 07:21 PM   #1
brokenp87
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
brokenp87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Italy
Bikes:
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
10sp road shifters and 9sp mtb cassette

Hi everybody...I would like to know if this combination is possible...

Shifters: Shimano 105 STI Levers 10sp-compatible
Cassette: Deore XT 9sp cassette (11-32)
Rear derailleur: Deore XT M771

will this work without any problem?!

thank you in advance
brokenp87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-11, 07:28 PM   #2
well biked 
biked well
 
well biked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 7,065
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Yes, it will work just fine. Just make sure you don't get an XT Dyna Sys RD, those use a different cable pull ratio.
well biked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-11, 07:36 PM   #3
brokenp87
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
brokenp87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Italy
Bikes:
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It will work even if the shifters are for a 10sp?!?
I ask this because in an italian forum they tell me that is impossible and I'm losing time...so I would like to know why is possible to understand better...

What I read is that the cable pull ratio is the same...but my doubts are about the fact that the shifters have 10 position right?! how they can manage to work with a 9 position rear derailleur...I would like to understand why this is possible...
brokenp87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-11, 07:47 PM   #4
well biked 
biked well
 
well biked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 7,065
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenp87 View Post
It will work even if the shifters are for a 10sp?!?
I ask this because in an italian forum they tell me that is impossible and I'm losing time...so I would like to know why is possible to understand better...

What I read is that the cable pull ratio is the same...but my doubts are about the fact that the shifters have 10 position right?! how they can manage to work with a 9 position rear derailleur...I would like to understand why this is possible...
It will work, believe me. The indents in the shifter are what allows the shifting to index. The derailleur simply moves the chain a certain distance for each click of the shifter; there's no indexing in the derailleur. The XT RD and ten speed road shifters you mention both use the same cable pull ratio, so it doesn't matter a bit if the rear derailleur is designated "nine speed", it's the cable pull ratio that's important. The RD will move the correct distance per click to properly shift the chain on your ten speed cassette.

Here's a pic of one of my bikes; the cassette is a Shimano-compatible (SRAM) ten speed 12 x 32, the RD is a "nine speed" LX. The shifters I use on this bike are ten speed Shimano 105. I've set up many bikes similarly, and the shifting is great.


Last edited by well biked; 11-19-11 at 07:53 PM.
well biked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-11, 07:50 PM   #5
FuryUs1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The cable pull ratio is the same between the shifters and derailleur, but the cog spacing is different between 9 and 10 speed. It might work but it's not right.
FuryUs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-11, 07:52 PM   #6
well biked 
biked well
 
well biked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 7,065
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuryUs1 View Post
The cable pull ratio is the same between the shifters and derailleur, but the cog spacing is different between 9 and 10 speed. It might work but it's not right.
Sorry, but it works perfectly and I don't know how much more "right" you can get than that.
well biked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-11, 07:55 PM   #7
MNBikeCommuter
Senior Member
 
MNBikeCommuter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Minnesota
Bikes: Cannondale '92 T600 '95 H600 '01 RT1000
Posts: 592
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
brokenp87, I think the others are missing the fact that you have a 9 spd cassette. :-) And yes, according to Sheldon, you can still successfully use a 10 spd shifter. Check out the section on Alternate Cable Routing: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/derailer-adjustment.html
MNBikeCommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-11, 07:59 PM   #8
well biked 
biked well
 
well biked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 7,065
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBikeCommuter View Post
brokenp87, I think the others are missing the fact that you have a 9 spd cassette. :-) And yes, according to Sheldon, you can still successfully use a 10 spd shifter. Check out the section on Alternate Cable Routing: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/derailer-adjustment.html
Oh wow, you're right, my apologies to all. I thought it was a ten speed cassette he was going to use. Should have read more closely.
well biked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-11, 08:00 PM   #9
FuryUs1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by well biked View Post
Sorry, but it works perfectly and I don't know how much more "right" you can get than that.
We were posting at the same time, so my post wasn't directed at you. Your shifters and cassette match, so as long as your derailleur has the correct pull ratio, it doesn't have 'speeds'--it's just the go-between. Shifters and cassette different speeds is a different scenario than what you have.
FuryUs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-11, 08:04 PM   #10
well biked 
biked well
 
well biked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 7,065
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuryUs1 View Post
We were posting at the same time, so my post wasn't directed at you. Your shifters and cassette match, so as long as your derailleur has the correct pull ratio, it doesn't have 'speeds'--it's just the go-between. Shifters and cassette different speeds is a different scenario than what you have.
I think we were posting at the same time again. Basically, you can disregard everything I said above, I didn't read the original post carefully enough.

I thought the OP was concerned that a ten speed cassette, ten speed road shifter, and "nine speed" RD would not work together.
well biked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-11, 08:11 PM   #11
well biked 
biked well
 
well biked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 7,065
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
One thing I'll add: with the widespread availability of very wide range ten speed cassettes now, for the price of an 11 x 32 ten speed cassette (and ten speed chain) you can illuminate this issue completely.

And if you do that, then all the stuff I posted above will be relevant.

Last edited by well biked; 11-19-11 at 08:17 PM.
well biked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-11, 08:14 PM   #12
Al1943
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Oklahoma
Bikes: Trek 5500, Colnago C-50
Posts: 9,433
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It doesn't work.
But you could use your 10-speed Shimano road shifters with a 10-speed Shimano cassette and 9-speed Shimano mountain rear derailleur.
Al1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-11, 04:57 AM   #13
brokenp87
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
brokenp87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Italy
Bikes:
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay...thank you all...
I'm not an expert and I said that I will use a 9sp cassette because I think that a mtb 9sp RD will only work with a 9sp cassette...but...as "well biked" said this configuration on my new bike will work:

Shifters: Shimano 105 5703 10sp-compatible
Cassette: Shimano Deore XT M771-10 (10sp cassette 11-32)
Rear derailleur: Shimano Deore XT M770 (9sp-compatible)

right?!

for the front the solution can be mounting the 105 triple 50/39/30...and everything will be okay...and it can be good to me...
but I'm curious...suppose I would like to mount more lower gears because I will travel with bags on hilly roads...

I'm wondering about if you can help me in founding a 48/36/26 crankset that operate with a 105 fd...or maybe a fd that will work with 105 levers and a 48/36/26...
any solution of same-quality component can be good but I would like to maintain the 105 sti levers...

Last edited by brokenp87; 11-20-11 at 06:15 AM.
brokenp87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-11, 08:25 AM   #14
well biked 
biked well
 
well biked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 7,065
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenp87 View Post
as "well biked" said this configuration on my new bike will work:

Shifters: Shimano 105 5703 10sp-compatible
Cassette: Shimano Deore XT M771-10 (10sp cassette 11-32)
Rear derailleur: Shimano Deore XT M770 (9sp-compatible)

right?!
Yes, that combo will work, or you could use a SRAM ten speed wide range cassette as well (as in my pic above). As I mentioned before, just be sure and not get one of the new Dyna Sys "ten speed" Shimano mountain bike derailleurs, they WILL NOT work with your 105 ten speed shifters. It's the "nine speed" (or seven, or eight) Shimano mountain bike derailleurs that share the same cable pull ratio as your 105 rear shifter.
well biked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-11, 08:28 AM   #15
MNBikeCommuter
Senior Member
 
MNBikeCommuter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Minnesota
Bikes: Cannondale '92 T600 '95 H600 '01 RT1000
Posts: 592
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenp87 View Post
right?!
Yes. :-) (along with a 10 spd chain rather than 9)
MNBikeCommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-11, 08:38 AM   #16
HillRider 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Bikes: '''96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '12 Surly Pacer, All are 3x8,9 or 10. It is hilly around here!
Posts: 28,776
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
I'm a bit late to this thread but the original proposal of 10-speed brifters with a 9-speed cassette is doable if you use a Jtek Shiftmate to match them.
http://jtekengineering.com/shiftmate.htm

A Model #2 shiftmate will let you use a 10-speed Shimano shifter with a 9-speed Shimano/SRAM cassette and any compatible Shimano rear derailleur (post 8-speed Dura Ace, any other indexing road rear derailleur and any pre 10-speed MTB rear derailleur)

I've used Shiftmates to match 10-speed Campy Ergo brifters with both 9 and 10-speed Shimano cassettes and a Shimano rear derailleur and they work extremely well.
HillRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-11, 12:24 PM   #17
brokenp87
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
brokenp87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Italy
Bikes:
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Another question...with this combination

Shifters: Shimano 105 5703 10sp-compatible
Cassette: Shimano Deore XT M771-10 (10sp cassette 11-32)
Rear derailleur: Shimano Deore XT M770 (9sp-compatible)

what chain I have to mount...the 105 chain is okay...is long enough?!
or any 10-speed compatible chain will work okay?!

thx in advance...
brokenp87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-11, 12:38 PM   #18
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain
 
DiabloScott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Mt.Diablo
Bikes:
Posts: 6,697
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenp87 View Post
Another question...with this combination

Shifters: Shimano 105 5703 10sp-compatible
Cassette: Shimano Deore XT M771-10 (10sp cassette 11-32)
Rear derailleur: Shimano Deore XT M770 (9sp-compatible)

what chain I have to mount...the 105 chain is okay...is long enough?!
or any 10-speed compatible chain will work okay?!

thx in advance...
You have 3-speed shifters and a triple crank, right? That should be fine. If your crank is a 9-speed design there's a bit more of a chance you'll throw a 10-speed chain off the ring once in a while, but most people don't have a problem with it.

Any 10-speed chain will be fine, they come extra long and you shorten for your setup... you might have better performance with Shimano than SRAM but they'll both work... Campagnolo might not work well.

Last edited by DiabloScott; 12-13-11 at 12:42 PM.
DiabloScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-11, 12:41 PM   #19
JiveTurkey
Low car diet
 
JiveTurkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Corvallis, OR, USA
Bikes: 2006 Windsor Dover w/105, 2007 GT Avalanche w/XT, 1995 Trek 820 setup for touring, 201? Yeah single-speed folder, 199? Huffy tandem.
Posts: 2,407
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
See the "Chain Sizing by Equation" method section: http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-...-length-sizing

How many teeth are on the largest chainring?

Not too long ago, we mounted a 10-speed Shimano road chain on my step-dad's bike with a 50T outer chainring and 34T largest cog, using the bib/big + 1" method. I think there was an extra inch we didn't need, but kept it on anyway.

Edit: I see you have a 50T chainring. The chain will fit.
JiveTurkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-11, 01:36 PM   #20
brokenp87
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
brokenp87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Italy
Bikes:
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think I will mount 50-39-30 and 10sp 11-34...
But any Shimano model 10sp compatible (apart from the chain length) is okay?
brokenp87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-11, 02:21 PM   #21
JiveTurkey
Low car diet
 
JiveTurkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Corvallis, OR, USA
Bikes: 2006 Windsor Dover w/105, 2007 GT Avalanche w/XT, 1995 Trek 820 setup for touring, 201? Yeah single-speed folder, 199? Huffy tandem.
Posts: 2,407
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yes. The chain lengths seem to be pretty much the same across road and MTB lines. Road bikes have larger chainrings than MTB, but they tend to have smaller cogs, so it evens out. (Compare 53+28 to 48+34.) 50/34 will be fine.
JiveTurkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-11, 02:36 PM   #22
AEO
Senior Member
 
AEO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: A Coffin Called Earth. or Toronto, ON
Bikes: Bianchi, Miyata, Dahon, Rossin
Posts: 12,258
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
the chains are always 112 or 114 links long, which is enough for all bikes, except long tails and recumbents... and other bikes with stretched out drive trains.
__________________
Food for thought: if you aren't dead by 2050, you and your entire family will be within a few years from starvation. Now that is a cruel gift to leave for your offspring. ;)
http://sanfrancisco.ibtimes.com/arti...ger-photos.htm
AEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-11, 04:37 PM   #23
cyclist2000
Senior Member
 
cyclist2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Up
Bikes: Masi (retired), Giant TCR, Eisentraut, Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo (trainer bike), Cannondale, 84 Stumpjumper, Waterford(N+1), Tern D8 (N+1), looking for a Ti frame
Posts: 3,024
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenp87 View Post
Okay...thank you all...
I'm not an expert and I said that I will use a 9sp cassette because I think that a mtb 9sp RD will only work with a 9sp cassette...but...as "well biked" said this configuration on my new bike will work:

Shifters: Shimano 105 5703 10sp-compatible
Cassette: Shimano Deore XT M771-10 (10sp cassette 11-32)
Rear derailleur: Shimano Deore XT M770 (9sp-compatible)

right?!

for the front the solution can be mounting the 105 triple 50/39/30...and everything will be okay...and it can be good to me...
but I'm curious...suppose I would like to mount more lower gears because I will travel with bags on hilly roads...

I'm wondering about if you can help me in founding a 48/36/26 crankset that operate with a 105 fd...or maybe a fd that will work with 105 levers and a 48/36/26...
any solution of same-quality component can be good but I would like to maintain the 105 sti levers...
I have a similar configuration on my touring bike, the RD is a M771 model, I also changed the inner chainring to a 26 tooth chain ring for lower gearing.
cyclist2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-11, 05:25 PM   #24
brokenp87
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
brokenp87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Italy
Bikes:
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclist2000 View Post
I have a similar configuration on my touring bike, the RD is a M771 model, I also changed the inner chainring to a 26 tooth chain ring for lower gearing.
Really?! great...because initially I would like to mount a 48/36/26 crankset but maintaining the 105 5703 levers and the 105 front derailleur...do you know if it's possible?!

If I understand you've mounted a triple 105 crankset and you substitute the 30 chainring with a 26 maintaining the 105 front derailleur?
brokenp87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-11, 05:30 PM   #25
cycle_maven
Collector of Useless Info
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 1,408
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I can say definitively that a 10-speed shifter will shift a 9-speed cassette perfectly if you use the alternate cable routing at the rear derailleur. Of course, the RD and shifter must be Shimano-made and not one of the oddball cable pull variety like XT DynaSys or old 8-speed Dura-Ace. I find that 9-speed cassettes are available everywhere in good ratios for touring for not much money. 10-speed not so much. Also 9-speed chains are stronger and cheaper, and the driveline just seems less finnicky to me than 10-speed. All my commuters and touring bikes are set up 9-speed, whether they have 10-speed shifters or 9-speed.

Cranks- there are several solutions- the easiest is to just get a 24 or 26 tooth inner ring for your existing 105 crank. They're cheap and widely available. Then the front derailleur needn't change.
cycle_maven is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:03 PM.