Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    skidmark
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    18
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Chrome vs. Ammonia

    Hello all. I have an old chrome Schwinn Voyageur 11.8 that has the stem stuck in it. I've wasted an entire can of PB Blaster trying to get it out, and have had no luck pounding the unscrewed stem bolt down with a rubber mallet. A friend recommended using some household ammonia, but I'm wondering if it will effect the chrome of the frame. Any suggestions?

  2. #2
    Old fart JohnDThompson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Appleton WI
    My Bikes
    Several, mostly not name brands.
    Posts
    12,345
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No worries.

  3. #3
    coprolite fietsbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    NW,Oregon Coast
    My Bikes
    7
    Posts
    38,951
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    chrome plating will not dissolve in the cleaning.

  4. #4
    skidmark
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    18
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks! Also, should I dissolve the ammonia, or just pour a capful straight in?

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3,956
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Gaseous Cloud around Uranus
    Posts
    3,230
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just for the record,ammonia WILL eat chrome.....not instantly,but it will remove the chrome,the nickle and the copper.It actually attacks the nickle and copper and makes the chrome flake off.If you heat it up,it will take it off fast.

    Coca-cola will eat chrome if you leave it long enough.
    Last edited by Booger1; 11-21-11 at 03:16 PM.
    Everything should be as simple as possible...But not more so.---Albert Einstein

  7. #7
    AEO
    AEO is offline
    Senior Member AEO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    A Coffin Called Earth. or Toronto, ON
    My Bikes
    Bianchi, Miyata, Dahon, Rossin
    Posts
    12,245
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kuje View Post
    Thanks! Also, should I dissolve the ammonia, or just pour a capful straight in?
    household ammonia should already be mixed with water.

    Quote Originally Posted by Booger1 View Post
    Just for the record,ammonia WILL eat chrome.....not instantly,but it will remove the chrome,the nickle and the copper.It actually attacks the nickle and copper and makes the chrome flake off.If you heat it up,it will take it off fast.

    Coca-cola will eat chrome if you leave it long enough.
    it should be fine for the purpose of removing an aluminum part, because aluminum is higher up on the reactivity series in comparison to nickel.
    Food for thought: if you aren't dead by 2050, you and your entire family will be within a few years from starvation. Now that is a cruel gift to leave for your offspring. ;)
    http://sanfrancisco.ibtimes.com/arti...ger-photos.htm

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    2,586
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    kuje: A rubber mallet may not transmit enough energy to the bolt to break the wedge loose. Try giving it a good, solid blow with a steel hammer or, even better, a 2 pound hand sledge and make sure that the fork is firmly supported so that the power of the blow is directed into the stem bolt and wedge, not in moving the fork around. Repeated pounding will do no good if you don't hit it hard enough to break the wedge loose.

  9. #9
    skidmark
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    18
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update: The ammonia was useless and ended up stripping off the clear coat. I am considering sawing off the stem, as much as I don't want to.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    152
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dsbrantjr View Post
    kuje: A rubber mallet may not transmit enough energy to the bolt to break the wedge loose. Try giving it a good, solid blow with a steel hammer or, even better, a 2 pound hand sledge and make sure that the fork is firmly supported so that the power of the blow is directed into the stem bolt and wedge, not in moving the fork around. Repeated pounding will do no good if you don't hit it hard enough to break the wedge loose.
    This. A rubbet mallet will just make you tired.

  11. #11
    AEO
    AEO is offline
    Senior Member AEO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    A Coffin Called Earth. or Toronto, ON
    My Bikes
    Bianchi, Miyata, Dahon, Rossin
    Posts
    12,245
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kuje View Post
    Update: The ammonia was useless and ended up stripping off the clear coat. I am considering sawing off the stem, as much as I don't want to.
    it's possible the stem has a steel expander.
    Food for thought: if you aren't dead by 2050, you and your entire family will be within a few years from starvation. Now that is a cruel gift to leave for your offspring. ;)
    http://sanfrancisco.ibtimes.com/arti...ger-photos.htm

  12. #12
    Senior Member DannoXYZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Saratoga, CA
    Posts
    11,495
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like a 10-lb mini hand-sledge for a task like this.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •