Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 31

Thread: 700c vs 27"

  1. #1
    Senior Member NYIRISH83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Wichita Falls, TX
    My Bikes
    1975 Fuji Special Tourer
    Posts
    64
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    700c vs 27"

    I have been trying to find replacement rims for my 74 Fuji special tourer, I had a set of quando 27 x 1 1/4 with continental rubber. It seems that finding that rim size with a fixed rear, or coaster rear is pretty damned expensive. I have also been reading that the 622mm rims are stronger and possibly a better choice for a commuter bike. That being said would I be able to find a fatter tire (not mountain bike fat but larger than the 27 x 1 1/8) and last but not least where would I find these rims cheap?

  2. #2
    spathfinder34089 spathfinder3408's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Washington State
    My Bikes
    fuji s12s, Schwiin Le Tour, Puegot mtn. bike, Hiawatha crusier
    Posts
    200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Getting 700c's cheap is a challenge, but can be done. I converted my touring bike to 700C's and just finished it. Search Craislist, thrift stores and ebay. Craigslist will have wheels only for sale, but not always cheap. By cheap I mean $5 to $10 each. Most people wanted $30 each, especially for the rear with gears. I bought a peugeot mixte for $40 that had 700c's on it and swapped the 27's and put the 700's on my bike. I sold the Peugeot with the 27's and the person was happy. That is a way to get them for free and make some money. I have bought a wheel or two on Ebay, but not much under $30. A fatter tire is the 622 x 38 which is more like a hybrid tire or 1 1/2". good luck on your search

  3. #3
    coprolite fietsbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    NW,Oregon Coast
    My Bikes
    7
    Posts
    3,150
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just that 622 are current 630 was left behind. But millions sold, so tires are made.


    It seems that finding that rim size with a fixed rear, or coaster rear is pretty damned expensive.
    that in 2012 is an odd combination, and needs someones labor to combine those parts

    If it's not you , then its someone else, being a mass produced machine built wheel
    lowers the price, but the mass sales for that is not there
    so some small shop has to do the work.
    They have to eat and pay rent and taxes.
    Last edited by fietsbob; 11-30-11 at 09:31 PM.

  4. #4
    Quirky Grifter LesterOfPuppets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Vancouver, USA
    My Bikes
    My War
    Posts
    21,719
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NYIRISH83 View Post
    I have been trying to find replacement rims for my 74 Fuji special tourer, I had a set of quando 27 x 1 1/4 with continental rubber. It seems that finding that rim size with a fixed rear, or coaster rear is pretty damned expensive. I have also been reading that the 622mm rims are stronger and possibly a better choice for a commuter bike. That being said would I be able to find a fatter tire (not mountain bike fat but larger than the 27 x 1 1/8 you mention in your last sentence) and last but not least where would I find these rims cheap?
    I don't think a 36 spoke 27" wheelset is noticeably weaker than a similar quality 700c.

    Are you looking for rims, a wheelset with fixed or coaster brake rear, OR just rear wheels with fixed or coaster rear.

    AEBike and Universal cycles have the 36 hole rims in stock for $27-28.

    http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...s.php?id=31383

    Velomine has Sun M13 II / Formula Flip-Flop wheelsets for $130. These come stock in 120mm rear spacing but they will change the rear spacing if you ask.

    http://www.velomine.com/index.php?ma...roducts_id=401

    And for tires, there are several 630-32 tires out there, which are wider than the 630-28 ones you mention in your last sentence. Kenda has a 630-35 CX tire if you don't mind knobs.
    Last edited by LesterOfPuppets; 11-30-11 at 03:35 AM.
    1980ish Free Spirit Sunbird fixed * 1996 Mongoose IBOC Zero-G * 1997 KHS Comp * 1990-ish Scapin * Lemond Buenos Aires Triple

  5. #5
    Senior Member mrrabbit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    San Jose, California
    My Bikes
    2001 Tommasini Sintesi w/ Campagnolo Daytona 10 Speed
    Posts
    3,186
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NYIRISH83 View Post
    I have been trying to find replacement rims for my 74 Fuji special tourer, I had a set of quando 27 x 1 1/4 with continental rubber. It seems that finding that rim size with a fixed rear, or coaster rear is pretty damned expensive. I have also been reading that the 622mm rims are stronger and possibly a better choice for a commuter bike. That being said would I be able to find a fatter tire (not mountain bike fat but larger than the 27 x 1 1/8) and last but not least where would I find these rims cheap?
    The reason you are not finding 27" is because you are simply not taking the time to actually do an in-depth search in search engines - i.e., you are probably giving up on the first page because you don't have any patience to browse through the first few pages of results.

    Their are two websites that provide traditional profile 27" alloy rims that would be perfect for your Fuji...IF you are willing to browse search results.

    =8-)
    4000+ wheels built since 1984...

    Disclaimer:

    1. I do not claim to be an expert in bicycle mechanics despite my experience.
    2. I like anyone will comment in other areas.
    3. I do not own the preexisting concepts of DISH and ERD.
    4. I will provide information as I always have to others that I believe will help them protect themselves from unscrupulous mechanics.
    5. My all time favorite book is:

    Kahane, Howard. Logic and Contemporary Rhetoric: The Use of Reason in Everyday Life

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Thomaston, Georgia
    My Bikes
    2013 Raleigh Clubman, 2010 Schwinn LeTour, 2012 Raleigh Sojourn, 2011 Schwinn Voyaguer 7
    Posts
    216
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder if any of these wheels will fit your needs?

    http://harriscyclery.net/product-lis...91/?rb_ct=1382
    RUSA #8269

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    Posts
    155
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My local Mountain Equipment Co-op has budget 630mm wheels (7s cassette rear, 126mm spacing) for ~$40 each. No idea what the quality is like. Cheap and less-cheap 27x1-1/4 (32mm-ish) tires are easy to find new, and most bike shops stock at least something in that size.

    If you switch wheel sizes, you might need different brakes. Check how much additional adjustment room your current brakes have.

  8. #8
    Senior Member NYIRISH83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Wichita Falls, TX
    My Bikes
    1975 Fuji Special Tourer
    Posts
    64
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you, MrRabbit...your assumption that I don't have patience is rather insulting, I have come across several wheel sets, mainly flip flop rears. At the moment I am just trying to get back the road. DaHaMac, very helpful. I have found some coaster brake wheel sets, coasties.com sells rim sets in 630 and 622, boxed or v. My only problem is the price, I need something more or less temporary, well thank you everyone

  9. #9
    Quirky Grifter LesterOfPuppets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Vancouver, USA
    My Bikes
    My War
    Posts
    21,719
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Why temporary? Perhaps you could explain what's wrong with current wheels and what exactly you want to do with this bike.

    Am I correct in assuming you want complete wheels, not just rims?

    Does your bike currently have a rear coaster brake?

    If $65 for a complete rear wheel is over budget, here's the most budget friendly rear wheel I know of. Sorry it's not coaster or fixed. Any reason why freewheel is not being considered?

    $32:
    http://aebike.com/product/dimension-...e8691-qc30.htm
    1980ish Free Spirit Sunbird fixed * 1996 Mongoose IBOC Zero-G * 1997 KHS Comp * 1990-ish Scapin * Lemond Buenos Aires Triple

  10. #10
    coprolite fietsbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    NW,Oregon Coast
    My Bikes
    7
    Posts
    3,150
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An old 27" multi speed freewheel rear wheel, such as a 5 speed
    can be adjusted to be a single speed .
    Ive done it with Dumpster wheels.

  11. #11
    Quirky Grifter LesterOfPuppets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Vancouver, USA
    My Bikes
    My War
    Posts
    21,719
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I do singlespeeds with a full set of cogs all the time. I'm getting a sense that the OP only wants coaster brake or fixed for some reason. I'd like to hear the backstory on that. Did someone remove the brake bridge?

    I even run one of my SS with front brake only and different wheel sizes - works fine!



    1980ish Free Spirit Sunbird fixed * 1996 Mongoose IBOC Zero-G * 1997 KHS Comp * 1990-ish Scapin * Lemond Buenos Aires Triple

  12. #12
    Senior Member Chris Chicago's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    near north side
    Posts
    1,013
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    niagara has a rear wheel, 27in, alloy rims, 36h and ss spokes that is less than 40 shipped through amazon. you have to find it on niagara's site though and then search for it by name on amazon. for some reason shipping is less via amazon but that wheel doesnt come up in the broad searches.

    I bought one for my brother, who is a clyde. it's held up well for 5mos so far on his 14 mile commute. also, those panaracer paselas run kind of wide, the 1 1/4" are pretty plush. but if you want wider than that you have to go 700c

    http://www.amazon.com/Wheel-Rear-1-1...2859604&sr=1-5

  13. #13
    Senior Member mrrabbit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    San Jose, California
    My Bikes
    2001 Tommasini Sintesi w/ Campagnolo Daytona 10 Speed
    Posts
    3,186
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NYIRISH83 View Post
    Thank you, MrRabbit...your assumption that I don't have patience is rather insulting, I have come across several wheel sets, mainly flip flop rears. At the moment I am just trying to get back the road. DaHaMac, very helpful. I have found some coaster brake wheel sets, coasties.com sells rim sets in 630 and 622, boxed or v. My only problem is the price, I need something more or less temporary, well thank you everyone
    You didn't state the particulars of your research in terms of finds...

    You didn't state your price...

    In other words, you set yourself up for assumptions...

    I'm going to add one more assumption: You're one of those folks who expect to walk into a store and get a brand-new spanking 27 x 1 1/4 rear CB wheel for $9.99, right?

    Just assuming...just asking...

    Or are you the type of troll who brings in the particulars AFTER people have started responding in a particular direction throwing a wrench into the help process?

    =8-)
    4000+ wheels built since 1984...

    Disclaimer:

    1. I do not claim to be an expert in bicycle mechanics despite my experience.
    2. I like anyone will comment in other areas.
    3. I do not own the preexisting concepts of DISH and ERD.
    4. I will provide information as I always have to others that I believe will help them protect themselves from unscrupulous mechanics.
    5. My all time favorite book is:

    Kahane, Howard. Logic and Contemporary Rhetoric: The Use of Reason in Everyday Life

  14. #14
    Senior Member mrrabbit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    San Jose, California
    My Bikes
    2001 Tommasini Sintesi w/ Campagnolo Daytona 10 Speed
    Posts
    3,186
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not going to tell you where, but you can actually get online an alloy 27 x 1 1/4 box profile coaster brake rear wheel that is hand-built from start to finish with approx. 1.5 hours build time for $40.00.

    Good luck finding it...

    =8-)
    4000+ wheels built since 1984...

    Disclaimer:

    1. I do not claim to be an expert in bicycle mechanics despite my experience.
    2. I like anyone will comment in other areas.
    3. I do not own the preexisting concepts of DISH and ERD.
    4. I will provide information as I always have to others that I believe will help them protect themselves from unscrupulous mechanics.
    5. My all time favorite book is:

    Kahane, Howard. Logic and Contemporary Rhetoric: The Use of Reason in Everyday Life

  15. #15
    Old Fogy
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Murray, Utah
    Posts
    1,224
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mrrabbit, you are nasty! I like you!

  16. #16
    Senior Member mrrabbit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    San Jose, California
    My Bikes
    2001 Tommasini Sintesi w/ Campagnolo Daytona 10 Speed
    Posts
    3,186
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by waldowales View Post
    mrrabbit, you are nasty! I like you!
    Yeah...you can say that...can't deny it....though I have my reasons...

    1. Newbie signs up.
    2. Blows right by forum rules.
    3. Give no particulars in their cry for help.
    4. I point out the obvious.
    5. Other give examples of the obvious.
    6. Newbie gives particulars and expectations AFTERWARDS...
    7. Takes a shot at me.
    8. I give 'em a gem like the others...however...I expect those who need help to make an effort to help themselves.

    That's all really...maybe I should have been MrGrouch.

    =8-)
    Last edited by mrrabbit; 12-02-11 at 07:38 PM.
    4000+ wheels built since 1984...

    Disclaimer:

    1. I do not claim to be an expert in bicycle mechanics despite my experience.
    2. I like anyone will comment in other areas.
    3. I do not own the preexisting concepts of DISH and ERD.
    4. I will provide information as I always have to others that I believe will help them protect themselves from unscrupulous mechanics.
    5. My all time favorite book is:

    Kahane, Howard. Logic and Contemporary Rhetoric: The Use of Reason in Everyday Life

  17. #17
    Senior Member NYIRISH83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Wichita Falls, TX
    My Bikes
    1975 Fuji Special Tourer
    Posts
    64
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, I love people who have a sense of superiority based on how long they have been on a forum, I'm a troll because I didn't like what you said? Whatever I'm sure you feel like a big man....anyway I had mentioned in other posts my project bike, yes I failed to mention it in this post...noob mistake whoops...I have a Fuji Tourer that I have had for a few years, it is a 74. The rims were damaged while I was deployed to Afghanistan, the rims were inexpensive to start with and I'm not trying to salvage them. The reason for fixed or coaster (at the time of the original post) was do in part to making the quickest fix possible. I have since learned about flip flop hubs. I have removed my old friction shifters and derailluers. The goal is to make it a utilitarian commuter, the traffic outside of camp Lejeune is terrible. Again thank you for your help and suggestions....maybe one day I can shoe my ass to a new guy just like Mr.rabbit. glad you got tough via a bicycle forum bro.

  18. #18
    Senior Member NYIRISH83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Wichita Falls, TX
    My Bikes
    1975 Fuji Special Tourer
    Posts
    64
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    *show my ass...

  19. #19
    Quirky Grifter LesterOfPuppets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Vancouver, USA
    My Bikes
    My War
    Posts
    21,719
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the additional details. Keep in mind that as you switch from 27" to 700c you'll have to slide your brake pads down 4mm. Do your calipers have enough room to do so? IF not sometimes you can file the slot a bit lower to allow fitment.

    I think the quickest fix would've been to go with a regular 27" road wheelset. Grab a freewheel tool and move your old freewheel over to your new hub.

    Your current plan involves moving the brakes down in addition to getting a lockring/freewheel tool to install the track cog/lockring or freewheel.
    Last edited by LesterOfPuppets; 12-02-11 at 11:01 PM.
    1980ish Free Spirit Sunbird fixed * 1996 Mongoose IBOC Zero-G * 1997 KHS Comp * 1990-ish Scapin * Lemond Buenos Aires Triple

  20. #20
    Senior Member zukahn1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Denver Co
    My Bikes
    Current 79 Nishiki Royal, Jeunet 620, 59 Crown Royal, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage.
    Posts
    4,780
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NYIRISH83 View Post
    I have been trying to find replacement rims for my 74 Fuji special tourer, I had a set of quando 27 x 1 1/4 with continental rubber. It seems that finding that rim size with a fixed rear, or coaster rear is pretty damned expensive. I have also been reading that the 622mm rims are stronger and possibly a better choice for a commuter bike. That being said would I be able to find a fatter tire (not mountain bike fat but larger than the 27 x 1 1/8) and last but not least where would I find these rims cheap?
    The reason for this if you have set of wheels built this way they where likely built up custom for your bike at some point. As pointed out if you just want to get rolling cheap their are a lot of options if your bike is a fixed gear your cheapest option is just to buy whole bike of CL with 27s or 700's for $50-$75 switch the wheels and parts and make it a real bike with gears and brakes.

  21. #21
    Senior Member mrrabbit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    San Jose, California
    My Bikes
    2001 Tommasini Sintesi w/ Campagnolo Daytona 10 Speed
    Posts
    3,186
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NYIRISH83 View Post
    Wow, I love people who have a sense of superiority based on how long they have been on a forum, I'm a troll because I didn't like what you said? Whatever I'm sure you feel like a big man....anyway I had mentioned in other posts my project bike, yes I failed to mention it in this post...noob mistake whoops...I have a Fuji Tourer that I have had for a few years, it is a 74. The rims were damaged while I was deployed to Afghanistan, the rims were inexpensive to start with and I'm not trying to salvage them. The reason for fixed or coaster (at the time of the original post) was do in part to making the quickest fix possible. I have since learned about flip flop hubs. I have removed my old friction shifters and derailluers. The goal is to make it a utilitarian commuter, the traffic outside of camp Lejeune is terrible. Again thank you for your help and suggestions....maybe one day I can shoe my ass to a new guy just like Mr.rabbit. glad you got tough via a bicycle forum bro.
    Superiority...sorry...it's the one thing I shy away from...above all...almost like a sin.

    God gave you a brain and loaned you some talent - probably blessed you as well so to speak - if you claim you are what you say you are. And of course, you've got tools at your fingertips in the form of a keyboard, mouse, monitor and Internet access.

    If you are who you say you are, you are likely a Sergeant, or a Staff Sergeant by now - quite possibly a Sergeant First Class. (Gunnery Sergeant if Marines). I.e., money is certainly not a problem. Espeically for a basic bike requiring basic wheels. Suggest you toughen up a little, buy the wheel you need and get the bike done - cause if your next assignment is recruiting - it'll be the toughest job you'll ever have - yet possibly the most rewarding.

    In other words, I should be the least of your concerns.

    =8-)
    4000+ wheels built since 1984...

    Disclaimer:

    1. I do not claim to be an expert in bicycle mechanics despite my experience.
    2. I like anyone will comment in other areas.
    3. I do not own the preexisting concepts of DISH and ERD.
    4. I will provide information as I always have to others that I believe will help them protect themselves from unscrupulous mechanics.
    5. My all time favorite book is:

    Kahane, Howard. Logic and Contemporary Rhetoric: The Use of Reason in Everyday Life

  22. #22
    Senior Member NYIRISH83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Wichita Falls, TX
    My Bikes
    1975 Fuji Special Tourer
    Posts
    64
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just because I have some education doesn't mean I am anything. I am a Cpl in the marine corps, I would have no reason to lie about rank, or my affiliation. I have been stationed in Jacksonville since early 2009. Case in point, I own a home and have a newborn so money is tight. I appreciate all the advice given to me. If you are curious about my mechanical aptitude I am a 1341 heavy equipment mechanic (engineer)

  23. #23
    Senior Member mrrabbit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    San Jose, California
    My Bikes
    2001 Tommasini Sintesi w/ Campagnolo Daytona 10 Speed
    Posts
    3,186
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NYIRISH83 View Post
    Just because I have some education doesn't mean I am anything. I am a Cpl in the marine corps, I would have no reason to lie about rank, or my affiliation. I have been stationed in Jacksonville since early 2009. Case in point, I own a home and have a newborn so money is tight. I appreciate all the advice given to me. If you are curious about my mechanical aptitude I am a 1341 heavy equipment mechanic (engineer)
    That's a specialized skill set - if it's what you are planning - I'd say you have a pretty good shot at doing 20 whether or not you serve in a threatre. You are already on the list for Sergeant and most who retire at 20 years make E-5/6/7. I've met a few who went Warrant for a few years. Best of luck to you!

    =8-)
    4000+ wheels built since 1984...

    Disclaimer:

    1. I do not claim to be an expert in bicycle mechanics despite my experience.
    2. I like anyone will comment in other areas.
    3. I do not own the preexisting concepts of DISH and ERD.
    4. I will provide information as I always have to others that I believe will help them protect themselves from unscrupulous mechanics.
    5. My all time favorite book is:

    Kahane, Howard. Logic and Contemporary Rhetoric: The Use of Reason in Everyday Life

  24. #24
    Senior Member NYIRISH83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Wichita Falls, TX
    My Bikes
    1975 Fuji Special Tourer
    Posts
    64
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The cutting score to pick up Sgt in my mos is high, I have been in for 5 years, being a Cpl for the last 2. To go warrent officer you need a minimum of 8 years and must be a SSgt. If I'm still a Sgt at 10 years ill be pushed out of the corps. Not worried yet haha. Lesterofpuppets, I have considered that, I need to get a front wheel. I do have a freewheel on the rear hub, I'll need the tools. What cog do you suggest? I hear 18 thrown around a lot. Should I get a 1/8 chain also? Thanks again everyone

  25. #25
    Senior Member NYIRISH83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Wichita Falls, TX
    My Bikes
    1975 Fuji Special Tourer
    Posts
    64
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh yeah, about recruiting ....that's a b billet I would never do, I have an aversion to sales people and couldn't be one myself. I am a certifiable field marine haha, couldn't play dress up every day.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •