Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    719
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Can I replace a 14 g spoke with a 15g?

    Broke my spoke and want to fix it quick.I have a 15g spoke that fits.What's the down side to replacing it with the thinner spoke if tensioned and trued properly?Thanks in advance for your input.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    New Rochelle, NY
    My Bikes
    too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter
    Posts
    21,012
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It's less than ideal but will work in a pinch. The only real problem is that the 15g spoke has only about 80% of the cross section of the 14g spoke, so at the same tension it'll be strained 25% more. Not much of a problem on the left flange, but could be on the right.

    I'd go ahead and do it as a quick fix, do a quick true, then get a correct replacement and do the job right at my earliest convenience.
    FB
    Chain-L site

    An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

    “Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin

    “One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

    WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Sunnyvale, CA USA
    Posts
    3,012
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trek330 View Post
    Broke my spoke and want to fix it quick.I have a 15g spoke that fits.What's the down side to replacing it with the thinner spoke if tensioned and trued properly?Thanks in advance for your input.
    The large hub-flange holes which make life easy for lacing machines may not properly support the 15g elbow thus resulting in breakage until you replace it with one having a 14g elbow.

    It'll also take a 15g nipple.

    FWIW, with enough spokes (as a retro-grouch owning only 32 and 36 spoke wheels I couldn't tell you how many less than 32 you could get away with) you can get the wheel true enough to run with normal brake shoe clearances with one spoke missing.

  4. #4
    coprolite fietsbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    NW,Oregon Coast
    My Bikes
    7
    Posts
    590
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any port, in a storm, is a good place..

    have a set of all 15 gage spoked wheels , 72 of them.
    has worked for decades.. though the bike is ridden less as I get Older.

  5. #5
    Bianchi Goddess Bianchigirll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Camp Hill, PA
    My Bikes
    Too many to list here check my signature.
    Posts
    20,157
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    are both spokes straight guage? I could be wrong but you have to change the nipple too right?
    Bianchis '87 Sport SX, '90 Proto (2), '91 Boarala 'cross, '93 Project 3, '88 Trofeo, '86 Volpe, '89 Axis, '79 Mixte SOLD, '99 Mega Pro XL Ti, '97 Ti Megatube, , '90 something Vento 603,

    Others but still loved,; '80 RIGI, '80 Batavus Professional, '87 Cornelo, '86 Bertoni (sold), '09 Motobecane SS, '98 Hetchins M.O., '09 K2 Mainframe, '89 Trek 2000, '?? Jane Doe (still on the drawing board), '90ish Haro Escape

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    My Bikes
    2003 Lemond Zurich; 1987 Schwinn Tempo; 1968 PX10; 1978 PX10LE, Peugeot Course; A-D Vent Noir
    Posts
    428
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Though it's not ideal to mix spoke gauges, the main issue will be spoke tension. Measure this with a tensiometer.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    northern Deep South
    My Bikes
    Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee
    Posts
    1,796
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mechanically it'll be fine. I'd say the biggest issue is likely to be trying to keep the wheel tensioned properly in the future. You can remember the first one while you're building and truing, but a year from now, you may need to re-true the wheel and you'll forget.

    Which spoke needs to be touched? Pluck them. Plonk, plonk, plonk, PLINK! That one is too tight! Loosen it, and now the true is way off. Loosen the ones around it. Now there's a hop in the wheel. 45 minutes into the job, you'll remember there's this one that's a different gauge. Fix that hop, and you're back to finding the other loose one. What could have been a 5 minute job now takes an hour.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    719
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pdlamb View Post
    Mechanically it'll be fine. I'd say the biggest issue is likely to be trying to keep the wheel tensioned properly in the future. You can remember the first one while you're building and truing, but a year from now, you may need to re-true the wheel and you'll forget.

    Which spoke needs to be touched? Pluck them. Plonk, plonk, plonk, PLINK! That one is too tight! Loosen it, and now the true is way off. Loosen the ones around it. Now there's a hop in the wheel. 45 minutes into the job, you'll remember there's this one that's a different gauge. Fix that hop, and you're back to finding the other loose one. What could have been a 5 minute job now takes an hour.
    Nothing takes 5 minutes with me!!!Anyhow I have a tension gauge so that makes things alot easier.Speaking of which i just changed the spoke ( with the 15g) and trued and dished and I was amazed to see the tension all around was about perfect all around!!From 24.5 to 25.5 but closer to 25 all around on the tension scale!!Never have I been so accurate!!The 15g was about 21 which works out to a little less tension but that's fine.Wish me luck with no further breaks!!

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    719
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bianchigirll View Post
    are both spokes straight guage? I could be wrong but you have to change the nipple too right?
    Yes both spokes are straight gauge.And of course the nipple match the size.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •