Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-07-12, 08:03 AM   #1
Post42K
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Northern VA
Bikes:
Posts: 185
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Jagwire Bulk Gear and Brake Cable vs. Pricier Sets

Hi all, I'd like to change my cables/inner wires on my 2004 Dura Ace brifters. How does the bulk cable below compare to pricier sets such as the Jagwire Racer or the Dura-Ace branded sets? Is there a significant difference in feel, durability or quality?

http://www.probikekit.com/us/compone...ble-outer.html

http://www.probikekit.com/us/compone...ble-outer.html
Post42K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-12, 08:45 AM   #2
Burton
Certified Bike Brat
 
Burton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Bikes:
Posts: 4,251
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yes and no. The short answer is: Buy the kit!

The long drawn out answer: A Jagwire Racer Kit isn't just a couple pieces of caple housing packaged in with a few ferrules and cables. The shifter housing is compressionless and fairly straight-forward. But Kevlar reinforced compression-less linear housing is also used for the brake housing. Moreover a short length of specialty, spiral wound housing is factory swaged to the control end of those housings to facilitate bending and seamless installation under bar-tape. L3 liners are used on all cables, high quality ferrules are included in two sizes for both the shifter and brake cables and the cables are drawn stainless steel. The sum of the parts would cost more than the kit.

Last edited by Burton; 02-07-12 at 08:49 AM.
Burton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-12, 12:46 PM   #3
Post42K
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Northern VA
Bikes:
Posts: 185
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks for the info. So if I just wanted to replace the cable/inner wire on the shifters, is the bulk cable housing decent? I often replace the inner wire alone on the 10 speed shifter and for a few bucks, I thought I'd stock up on the bulk cable if it's good enough?
Post42K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-12, 01:37 PM   #4
DOS
Senior Member
 
DOS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Arlington, VA USA
Bikes:
Posts: 1,496
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Those kits seem awfully pricey; do you really get any noticeable improvement (asks me who won't even spend a few extra pennies on stainless cables -- I haven't had a rusty cable yet)?
DOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-12, 01:39 PM   #5
MileHighMark
Old. Slow. Happy.
 
MileHighMark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Boulder County, CO
Bikes:
Posts: 1,798
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
There is most definitely a difference in feel and durability. I've used the Dura-Ace/XTR kits and Jagwire kits, and prefer the latter.

See: http://www.gravelbike.com/?p=619
MileHighMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-12, 05:01 PM   #6
Burton
Certified Bike Brat
 
Burton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Bikes:
Posts: 4,251
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Post42K View Post
Thanks for the info. So if I just wanted to replace the cable/inner wire on the shifters, is the bulk cable housing decent? I often replace the inner wire alone on the 10 speed shifter and for a few bucks, I thought I'd stock up on the bulk cable if it's good enough?
The same cable housing is available in bulk and on a variety of colors. To duplicate the kit brake cable configuration you'd have to also buy some cable splicing ferrules and some L3 lined spiral wound cable to splice on. A requirement for brifter installations but not for classic brakes.
Burton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-12, 06:01 PM   #7
davidad
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 4,951
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
The bulk cable and housing is fine. There is no real reason to go for the top dollar kits other than not being able to fit your own.
davidad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-12, 06:04 PM   #8
gyozadude
Senior Member
 
gyozadude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Sunnyvale, California
Bikes: Bridgestone RB-1, 600, T700, MB-6 w/ Dirt Drops, MB-Zip, Bianchi Limited, Nashbar Hounder
Posts: 1,180
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I like Jagwire cables as well, but I buy in relative bulk. I think they sell an 8m/25ft roll in various colours and that pack includes some ferrules/caps in there for multiple bikes. If folks can feel a difference between my bulk install of housing and notice a difference in performance even 8 - 10 months down the road, then I'd like to know. Because my bikes have had housing and cables that have been there for years without much change. In fact, grit and mud on the rims and caught in the brake shoes have far larger impact on braking feel, and correct derailleur cable/housing routing that criss-crosses beneath down tube on brifters to reduce the radius on the bend at the handlebars has much larger impact in my opinion. But you do need to cut housing to length with very sharp, clean cutters. But that said, I use super cheap 2 for $1 type of brake and derailleur cables and after a day of stretch and re-adjustment on the tension barrels, I usually don't mess with housing for years to come. I guess if you're just fixing one bike, paying $30 - $50 for a cable set and some donuts and ferrules with rubber seals might seem okay. But if you're planning to fix multiple bikes, it definitely will be much more economical to buy parts in bulk bags if you can source them.
gyozadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-12, 06:16 PM   #9
Burton
Certified Bike Brat
 
Burton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Bikes:
Posts: 4,251
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidad View Post
The bulk cable and housing is fine. There is no real reason to go for the top dollar kits other than not being able to fit your own.
Am I missing something? Just because its a 'kit' doesn't mean you don't have to custom cut the cables to length. It just means that you're buying a smaller quantity of housing, a smaller quantity of ferrules, a smaller quantity of cables, and that ferrules have already been swaged on two ends of the shifter cable. Someone running a shop might be better off buying in bulk. Someone just doing one or two bikes would be further ahead buying the kits.
Burton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-12, 06:53 PM   #10
Burton
Certified Bike Brat
 
Burton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Bikes:
Posts: 4,251
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gyozadude View Post
I like Jagwire cables as well, but I buy in relative bulk. I think they sell an 8m/25ft roll in various colours and that pack includes some ferrules/caps in there for multiple bikes. If folks can feel a difference between my bulk install of housing and notice a difference in performance even 8 - 10 months down the road, then I'd like to know. Because my bikes have had housing and cables that have been there for years without much change. In fact, grit and mud on the rims and caught in the brake shoes have far larger impact on braking feel, and correct derailleur cable/housing routing that criss-crosses beneath down tube on brifters to reduce the radius on the bend at the handlebars has much larger impact in my opinion. But you do need to cut housing to length with very sharp, clean cutters. But that said, I use super cheap 2 for $1 type of brake and derailleur cables and after a day of stretch and re-adjustment on the tension barrels, I usually don't mess with housing for years to come. I guess if you're just fixing one bike, paying $30 - $50 for a cable set and some donuts and ferrules with rubber seals might seem okay. But if you're planning to fix multiple bikes, it definitely will be much more economical to buy parts in bulk bags if you can source them.
The guy that does the installation is always the most important part. Jagwire cables, ferrules and housings are availabe in bulk in different quantities. The shops I work in buy cables in boxes of 100. And about 6 or 7 boxes a reason. That might be a bit much for the average cyclist. Kits are offered as an alternative.
Burton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-12, 07:09 PM   #11
gyozadude
Senior Member
 
gyozadude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Sunnyvale, California
Bikes: Bridgestone RB-1, 600, T700, MB-6 w/ Dirt Drops, MB-Zip, Bianchi Limited, Nashbar Hounder
Posts: 1,180
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burton View Post
Am I missing something? Just because its a 'kit' doesn't mean you don't have to custom cut the cables to length. It just means that you're buying a smaller quantity of housing, a smaller quantity of ferrules, a smaller quantity of cables, and that ferrules have already been swaged on two ends of the shifter cable. Someone running a shop might be better off buying in bulk. Someone just doing one or two bikes would be further ahead buying the kits.
No, you didn't miss anything. The kits come with something like standard 1.65m long brake cables, with 1.7m of 5mm housing (go figure?). Derailleur cabling kits have their length specs. End-installer has to cut to fit their bike.
gyozadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-12, 07:17 PM   #12
fietsbob 
coprolite
 
fietsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Bikes: 7
Posts: 22,233
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1156 Post(s)
Pricier like Nokon? those, a series of interlocking beads are cool !
gets you completely away from traditional brake and Index needed
compression-less housing, a worthy upgrade,
Still compression-less but much more flexible.. anodized colors too.
fietsbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:54 PM.