Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Tire Factor Effects

    I've been reading in a lot of different places that a lot of factors only make minor differences to the way a ride feels in comparison to the differences that tires can make. However all of these resources then dive into explanation of the way these different factors affect (or rather don't) the way a bike rides (for example: geometries, frame materials, wheel materials and building factors, etc.) But I can't find any resources that give any explanation as to how different qualities of a tire affect the way a bike rides. I know there are certain things like wider tires with lower pressures will make a more comfortable ride, but I guess I'm looking for more explanations of why and with what trade-offs and more in depth explanations of much more factors that tires have other than width and pressure. So I'm wondering if this resource exists? Is any of this really known? Is it something I'm just going to have to squeeze out of a more knowledgeable mechanic over time?

  2. #2
    LET'S ROLL 1nterceptor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    WEST NEW YORK, USA
    My Bikes
    2013 Scott CR1 Pro carbon, 2013 Brompton S6L-X titanium, 2013 Citizen Tokyo steel
    Posts
    3,201
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Pearland, Texas
    My Bikes
    Cannondale, Trek, Raleigh, Santana
    Posts
    5,724
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BlakeJustBlake View Post
    So I'm wondering if this resource exists? Is any of this really known? Is it something I'm just going to have to squeeze out of a more knowledgeable mechanic over time?
    AFIK there isn't a single, up to date in depth resource for comparative tire info. Generally, with respect to ride comfort on an aggressive road racing frame where tire size is limited, a high quality compliant tire at less than maximum pressure will help. This can also improve handling.

    Brad

  4. #4
    Certified Bike Brat Burton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Montreal, Quebec
    Posts
    4,203
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1nterceptor View Post
    Yup! More than enough onfo at this site than most cyclists want to know about!

  5. #5
    Senior Member Delmarva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    356
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tire diameter and width, pressure and kind of tread are among the most significant factors impacting how tires ride. But The Sheldon Brown site is the most comprehensive review of all factors.

  6. #6
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had looked all over Sheldon's web site for a page about that, I don't know how I missed it.

  7. #7
    Senior Member RubberLegs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Tampa Bay, Florida
    My Bikes
    87 Bridgestone 550 (Shocking Electric Metallic Pink)
    Posts
    1,729
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am about to experiment with that myself. Just switching over my OLD LeTour with 700 23c to a "NEW" Bridgestone with 700 28c. Obviously a bigger tire, but on a lighter bike. I will be playing with tire pressures to see what works best for me. The type of roads one rides on is also a factor to think about.

  8. #8
    Charles Ramsey
    Guest
    Goodyear found slick tires didn't give good traction so he carved his name multiple times into every tire. A raised center section will lower rolling resistance. Having some knobs on the side will give better grip in wet leaves going around corners and crossing railroad tracks at an angle. There is a science behind this that automobile makers know but seldom follow. For example off roaders like a self cleaning tire especially in gumbo country. My favorite was the trek invert 2K so naturally they stopped making it.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    My Bikes
    '''96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '12 Surly Pacer, All are 3x8,9 or 10. It is hilly around here!
    Posts
    26,166
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Ramsey View Post
    Goodyear found slick tires didn't give good traction so he carved his name multiple times into every tire.
    For automobiles or motorcycles with their wide treads and relatively low specific loading, that's true on wet or snowy roads. Tread allows water to escape from under the tire and prevents hydroplaning. On dry roads even cars and motorcycles get their best grip with "slicks" as any race will demonstrate.

    Road bicycles, with their narrow tires and high specific loading don't benefit from tread at all and do best with slicks even on wet roads as their narrow tires "knife" through any reasonable water layer. I've seen it estimated that a road bike won't hydroplane until over 85 mph.

    MTB's ridden in soft dirt, sand, mud, etc. definitely benefit from tread and the knobby tires used on them are certainly functional and, indeed, necessary.

  10. #10
    Roadkill byte_speed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    East Tennessee
    My Bikes
    2002 Lightspeed Classic; 2010 Pedalforce RS
    Posts
    847
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been reading that wider rims (23mm vs 19mm) allow 700 23 tires to be run at lower pressure to give a smoother ride. The wider rim gives a larger air volume inside the tire, which matters how, I'm not sure. At any rate, I have a set of Velocity A23 rims headed my way to test this claim.

  11. #11
    Senior Member Medic Zero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Seattle
    My Bikes
    Old steel GT's, for touring and commuting
    Posts
    2,034
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Ramsey View Post
    Goodyear found slick tires didn't give good traction so he carved his name multiple times into every tire. A raised center section will lower rolling resistance. Having some knobs on the side will give better grip in wet leaves going around corners and crossing railroad tracks at an angle. There is a science behind this that automobile makers know but seldom follow. For example off roaders like a self cleaning tire especially in gumbo country. My favorite was the trek invert 2K so naturally they stopped making it.
    I feel you! I still miss the Continental Town & Country in the smaller sizes. It's not the same tire in 1.9 and 2.1, and it doesn't feel as sticky as it used to either, but I could just be falling for the rumors of less rubber content.

    Is anyone making a tire with an inverted tread and a decent center section in the 1.4 - 1.75 range?
    Everyone hates your lights. Throw them away & buy something civilized.

  12. #12
    Senior Member Delmarva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    356
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Medic Zero View Post
    I feel you! I still miss the Continental Town & Country in the smaller sizes. It's not the same tire in 1.9 and 2.1, and it doesn't feel as sticky as it used to either, but I could just be falling for the rumors of less rubber content.

    Is anyone making a tire with an inverted tread and a decent center section in the 1.4 - 1.75 range?
    Take a look at the Continental Country which I understand replaced the T&C.

  13. #13
    Senior Member Medic Zero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Seattle
    My Bikes
    Old steel GT's, for touring and commuting
    Posts
    2,034
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Delmarva View Post
    Take a look at the Continental Country which I understand replaced the T&C.
    Thanks for the heads up! The Country Plus looks even better to me, had no idea they even existed. Nice to see it comes in 1.75, I have to wonder if it corners as well as my old Town & Country's though...
    Everyone hates your lights. Throw them away & buy something civilized.

  14. #14
    Constant tinkerer FastJake's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Posts
    6,121
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HillRider View Post
    For automobiles or motorcycles with their wide treads and relatively low specific loading, that's true on wet or snowy roads. Tread allows water to escape from under the tire and prevents hydroplaning. On dry roads even cars and motorcycles get their best grip with "slicks" as any race will demonstrate.

    Road bicycles, with their narrow tires and high specific loading don't benefit from tread at all and do best with slicks even on wet roads as their narrow tires "knife" through any reasonable water layer. I've seen it estimated that a road bike won't hydroplane until over 85 mph.

    MTB's ridden in soft dirt, sand, mud, etc. definitely benefit from tread and the knobby tires used on them are certainly functional and, indeed, necessary.
    +100

    Wet or dry roads: slick tires

    Dirt, mud, sand, gravel, grass, snow, basically anything offroad: knobby tread.
    Why "derailer" is the correct way to spell the gear-change mechanism: sheldonbrown.com/derailer.html

  15. #15
    Senior Member Delmarva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    356
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Medic Zero View Post
    Thanks for the heads up! The Country Plus looks even better to me, had no idea they even existed. Nice to see it comes in 1.75, I have to wonder if it corners as well as my old Town & Country's though...
    A belated you are welcome. I'm using 700x42 on a hybrid for moderate to light trail and path riding. Running them at 60 psi gave a ride like an empty logging truck but dropping to 50 in the rear and about 45 in front gives a decent mix of ride and speed. They feel very secure on loose gravel, over roots and through loose leaves, etc. And they ride just fine on smooth pavement too.

  16. #16
    Senior Member Retro Grouch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    St Peters, Missouri
    My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Posts
    24,005
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Delmarva View Post
    Tire diameter and width, pressure and kind of tread are among the most significant factors impacting how tires ride. But The Sheldon Brown site is the most comprehensive review of all factors.
    I don't think so. The most significant is the caseing construction. Light supple caseings do everything better except for puncture and cut resistance.

  17. #17
    Ride More seedsbelize's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Tixkokob, Yucatán, México
    My Bikes
    '84 Schwinn Letour Luxe, '84 Schwinn traveler, '87 Schwinn Prelude, 91 Giant Yukon, 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5 unicrown
    Posts
    1,931
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BlakeJustBlake View Post
    I had looked all over Sheldon's web site for a page about that, I don't know how I missed it.
    I know how you missed it. I can never find what I'm looking for. Until somebody points me to it.

    Life is is too short to care what others think of your bike.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •