I've got a project bike which I'm working on as a single-speed conversion, but I am having a really hard time with the painting. The first attempt was understandably ruined by poor attention to the weather forecast, but after that, I sanded it down again and re-painted.
After over 48 hours of drying, I was working on the bike on my Park stand, and when I let it out of the stand, I found the paint chipped off. While tightening part of the headset, I accidentally hit the top tube with the end of the wrench and that chipped the paint. Finally, I managed to chip the paint on the fork as well.
Basically, it just seems to be a very fragile paint job and I'm mustering up the patience to sand it down again and start over, but I'd love some advice about what I may be doing wrong and what I could do better.
Here's what I did on the second attempt:
Sanded the frame down to bare metal / used some chemical stripper around the curves and bends. It was entirely clean except for some small parts around the bottom bracket.
I started off with 3 coats of Rustoleum Primer spaced 30 minutes apart. It was dry to the touch. I then sprayed 3 coats of color spaced 20 minutes apart. It was not entirely dry to the touch. I then finished with 2 coats of clear coat 20 minutes apart and let it dry for over 24 hours before handling. It was at least 72 hours before I put it up in the stand.
Everything I've ever read seemed to say that 2-3 coats of clear coat were fine, and the instructions on the cans seem to suggest it's okay to spray a new coat before it's fully dry, but I'm clearly not doing something quite right, I'd love some advice.
For my next attempt, I was thinking of using this metal primer instead, but I'm wondering if the problem isn't more with the clear coat than anything else.