Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Replace Ultegra cassette with XT MTB cassette

    I need lower gearing on my 2007 Cannondale Synapse Road Bike. At the moment it has a Shimano Ultegra 6600 Compact Groupset 50/34 with a 10 speed 12-27 cassette. Could I replace the cassette with a 10 speed XT MTB cassette (CS-M771) to give me 11-34, change the rear derailleur to an Ultegra RD-6700 GS triple and replace the chain with a new Ultegra CN-6701 10 speed chain?

    I would be keeping the Ultegra shifters so the shifting system would still be Ultegra the only none road part would be the XT cassette. Shimano say the RD-6700 GS has a capacity of up to 33T so I reckon it would probably be ok with 34.

    Any ideas, help, etc would be welcome.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    City of Brotherly Love
    My Bikes
    Raleigh Companion, Nashbar Touring, Novara DiVano, Trek FX 7.1, Giant Upland
    Posts
    936
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Apple Cat View Post
    I would be keeping the Ultegra shifters so the shifting system would still be Ultegra the only none road part would be the XT cassette. Shimano say the RD-6700 GS has a capacity of up to 33T so I reckon it would probably be ok with 34.
    You are confusing two different specs. For your setup you need a capacity of at least 39 and a largest cog of 34. The Ultegra GS can handle the capacity but not the cog size. You need a MTB SGS RD without Dyna-sys.
    Last edited by Bezalel; 04-16-12 at 03:54 PM.

  3. #3
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you Bezalel.

    Do you reckon I could use the Shimano XT Rear mech (M780) with my Ultegra shifter?
    Last edited by Apple Cat; 04-16-12 at 03:33 PM.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    City of Brotherly Love
    My Bikes
    Raleigh Companion, Nashbar Touring, Novara DiVano, Trek FX 7.1, Giant Upland
    Posts
    936
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you reckon I could use the Shimano XT Rear mech (M780) with my Ultegra shifter?
    The RD-M780 uses Dyna-sys so it cannot be used with road shifters. In theory a 9-speed RD such as the RD-M771 should work but I've never done such a conversion on a 10-speed.

  5. #5
    It's MY mountain DiabloScott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Mt.Diablo
    Posts
    5,129
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bezalel View Post
    The RD-M780 uses Dyna-sys so it cannot be used with road shifters. In theory a 9-speed RD such as the RD-M771 should work but I've never done such a conversion on a 10-speed.
    Does Dyna-sys have different shifter cable pull, different derailleur movement for a given cable pull, AND different spacing on the freewheel? I think so.

    I think you're right about the 9-speed mtb RD and the 10-speed Ultegra brifters, but if the 10s MTB cassette spacing is off, then AppleCat ought to be looking at SRAM cassettes. http://www.competitivecyclist.com/pr...36.1735.0.html
    Last edited by DiabloScott; 04-16-12 at 04:52 PM.
    http://diabloscott.blogspot.com/

  6. #6
    Senior Member rdtompki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Hollister, CA
    My Bikes
    Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture
    Posts
    3,864
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A 9-spd Deore RD should work just fine. That's what we're running on my wife's 10-spd 105 setup (with and 11-36 cassette).
    Rick T
    --------
    Volagi - Triple"ized" and Tubeless
    daVinci Joint Venture

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Oklahoma
    My Bikes
    Trek 510, Trek 5500, Colnago C-50
    Posts
    8,867
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You need a 9-speed Shimano mountain bike rear derailleur. It will be fully compatible with your 10-speed Shimano shifters and 10-speed Shimano long cage mountain cassette. The chain may need to be resized to accommodate the 50 - 34 combination just in case you accidentally get cross-chained big to big.
    A 34 tooth chainring working with a 34 tooth cassette cog will give you stump pulling power but you could probably get off and walk faster.

  8. #8
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone know if the M771 XT 10 speed cassette (11-32) would work with the Ultegra RD6700 GS? The capacity is ok but Shimano say the max cog size is 28, it probably has some tolerance but as much as up to a 32 cog?
    If this would work the gearing ratios would be ok for me.

  9. #9
    It's MY mountain DiabloScott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Mt.Diablo
    Posts
    5,129
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Apple Cat View Post
    Anyone know if the M771 XT 10 speed cassette (11-32) would work with the Ultegra RD6700 GS? The capacity is ok but Shimano say the max cog size is 28, it probably has some tolerance but as much as up to a 32 cog?
    If this would work the gearing ratios would be ok for me.
    I think we've answered this. Shimano 10v MTB group requires Shimano 10v mtb cassette, rd, shifters, and chain. None of those components are compatable with any road group or other mtb groups.

    As for your GS derailleur - 30t max is pushing it, you want 32 you need a different rd. 9v Shimano MTB derailleurs work fine though and it's the main way people achieve what you're trying to do without going triple. You'll probably need an in-line cable adjuster at the derailleur though.

    http://diabloscott.blogspot.com/

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    414
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DiabloScott View Post
    I think we've answered this. Shimano 10v MTB group requires Shimano 10v mtb cassette, rd, shifters, and chain. None of those components are compatable with any road group or other mtb groups.

    As for your GS derailleur - 30t max is pushing it, you want 32 you need a different rd. 9v Shimano MTB derailleurs work fine though and it's the main way people achieve what you're trying to do without going triple. You'll probably need an in-line cable adjuster at the derailleur though.

    Actually people regularly use 10 speed Shimano MTB cassettes with 10 speed road groups, the spacing on the cassettes are all the same. As far as the GS derailleur, many people have had luck with using it up to 32T, it depends on the length of the hanger.
    http://forums.roadbikereview.com/com...ke-247596.html
    http://www.cyclingforums.com/t/47714...pact-crank-set
    http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...tegra-Brifters

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    City of Brotherly Love
    My Bikes
    Raleigh Companion, Nashbar Touring, Novara DiVano, Trek FX 7.1, Giant Upland
    Posts
    936
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Apple Cat View Post
    Anyone know if the M771 XT 10 speed cassette (11-32) would work with the Ultegra RD6700 GS? The capacity is ok but Shimano say the max cog size is 28, it probably has some tolerance but as much as up to a 32 cog?
    If this would work the gearing ratios would be ok for me.
    Exceeding the max cog size is something that may or may not work depending on the exact dimensions of the deraileur hanger but 4 teeth is pushing the limit, I wouldn't suggest it unless you are willing to deal with the possibility that you may have to purchase additional parts to get it working. The Capacity should never be exceeded.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •