Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Bike workstand

  1. #1
    I can't find my pants mirona's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    UMASS, Amherst/ Swick, MA
    My Bikes
    07 Specialized Langster Comp,06 Kona King Zing, 06 Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc; 03 LOOK KG461;(destroyed by suv); 85 Panasonic Team America; 73 Peugeot U0-8; 94 Balance Super B BMX; 04 Diamondback Outlook MTB, Diamondback DBR DH
    Posts
    2,331
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Bike workstand

    So on my weekend I decided that trying to work on the bike while balancing it upright with my knees and forehead was getting real old. I drew up some plans for a new workstand and came up with this.



    This shows my homemade "wheel keeper-straighter" doodad. Okay, fine, it's just a coat hanger.


    It works surprisingly well and is very sturdy. The styrofoam in the 'jaw' keeps the paint from getting scratched and allows me to torque down the jaws so the frame doesn't move around.

    Just need to sand it all down and maybe paint it for that ooooooohhhh effect.

    So, whaddaya guys think?

  2. #2
    Klaatu barada nikto cascade168's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Southern NH
    Posts
    1,453
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mirona
    So on my weekend I decided that trying to work on the bike while balancing it upright with my knees and forehead was getting real old. I drew up some plans for a new workstand and came up with this.



    This shows my homemade "wheel keeper-straighter" doodad. Okay, fine, it's just a coat hanger.


    It works surprisingly well and is very sturdy. The styrofoam in the 'jaw' keeps the paint from getting scratched and allows me to torque down the jaws so the frame doesn't move around.

    Just need to sand it all down and maybe paint it for that ooooooohhhh effect.

    So, whaddaya guys think?
    Nice job, but I can't help but think that your bike is about to be flogged

    Also, a very simple and effective "wheel keeper-straighter" is a strip of double sided
    velcro wrapped around the front wheel and the down tube. You need about a foot
    of it. It works great.
    "Work is the curse of the drinking class."
    - Oscar Wilde

  3. #3
    I can't find my pants mirona's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    UMASS, Amherst/ Swick, MA
    My Bikes
    07 Specialized Langster Comp,06 Kona King Zing, 06 Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc; 03 LOOK KG461;(destroyed by suv); 85 Panasonic Team America; 73 Peugeot U0-8; 94 Balance Super B BMX; 04 Diamondback Outlook MTB, Diamondback DBR DH
    Posts
    2,331
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cascade168
    Nice job, but I can't help but think that your bike is about to be flogged

    Also, a very simple and effective "wheel keeper-straighter" is a strip of double sided
    velcro wrapped around the front wheel and the down tube. You need about a foot
    of it. It works great.
    Ha. It does look like some sort of torture device. When I first started making it I was thinking something along the line of bikestandosaurus.

    The velcro seems like a good idea but you can't spin the front wheel. Seems like a minor thing but I like to sit and spin the wheel when I'm sitting in my Lazy Boy

  4. #4
    Flatman RoadToad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Texas
    My Bikes
    Giant TCR2
    Posts
    915
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is that a Cyclops I see hiding in the corner?
    RT
    BRING THE HEAT

  5. #5
    hello roadfix's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Los Angeles
    My Bikes
    thank you for asking
    Posts
    18,502
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A bundgee cord works nice for keeping the front end straight.
    .cinelli.olympic.surly.long.haul.trucker.kona.ku.surly.steamroller.
    .litespeed.classic.litespeed.firenze.bianchi.pista.dean.colonel.plus.more.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    GA
    My Bikes
    '95 Klein Attitude and Quantum, '92 Trek 830
    Posts
    537
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadToad
    Is that a Cyclops I see hiding in the corner?
    RT
    good eye - I see it too!


    Quote Originally Posted by mirona
    Ha. It does look like some sort of torture device. When I first started making it I was thinking something along the line of bikestandosaurus.
    If your bike still doesn't behave, put it on the rack!

    I like the styrofoam thing. Do you think it'll gradually get too small (through compression) and have to be replaced every so often?
    2011 Surly Crosscheck
    95 Klein Attitude

  7. #7
    Senior Member IchbinJay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Massachusetts
    My Bikes
    Jamis Ventura Comp (2010) and Raleigh M80 (1998).
    Posts
    446
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you enforce the rule of thumb with your bike? Are there groups that are opposed to what you do to bikes? Aww that's alright, we're both from Mass. It's no different than what Mitt Rommney does to us with the Big Dig.

  8. #8
    I can't find my pants mirona's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    UMASS, Amherst/ Swick, MA
    My Bikes
    07 Specialized Langster Comp,06 Kona King Zing, 06 Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc; 03 LOOK KG461;(destroyed by suv); 85 Panasonic Team America; 73 Peugeot U0-8; 94 Balance Super B BMX; 04 Diamondback Outlook MTB, Diamondback DBR DH
    Posts
    2,331
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IchbinJay
    Do you enforce the rule of thumb with your bike? Are there groups that are opposed to what you do to bikes? Aww that's alright, we're both from Mass. It's no different than what Mitt Rommney does to us with the Big Dig.
    I never even go towards bah-ston and I still have to pay for it!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •