Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    14
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    New Trek Navigator 2.0 - Loose seat

    I bought a new Trek Navigator 2.0 and I have been having a problem where the seat shifts left and right slightly while riding. It's not loosing height, but during riding I can feel it shifting from side to side. I have tightened the bracket as much as possible, but it keeps shifting. I have noticed a large amount of grease has been applied to the seat post. Could that be my problem?

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    My Bikes
    2007 Trek Navigator 3.0 2008 Specialized Sequoia Elite
    Posts
    64
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just checked the post on my 5 yr. old 3.0 , it's the elastometer (shock absorber ) in the post , tighten it all the way will (should ) eliminate it

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    14
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by VELOGLOCK View Post
    I just checked the post on my 5 yr. old 3.0 , it's the elastometer (shock absorber ) in the post , tighten it all the way will (should ) eliminate it
    I found the bolt you are referring to, but it was already pretty tight. It does seem a little better. The seat still has a little movement to the left. Maybe that's as good as its going to get.

  4. #4
    coprolite fietsbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    NW,Oregon Coast
    My Bikes
    7
    Posts
    1,420
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    decide if you even need the suspension seat post,
    in the quest of not having it feel loose.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    2,783
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The grease is there so the post doesn't seize in the seat tube, don't remove it. I think any suspension post is going to have some play. Replacement solid seat posts are cheap and easy to install.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    460
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by techguyrva View Post
    I bought a new Trek Navigator 2.0 and I have been having a problem where the seat shifts left and right slightly while riding. It's not loosing height, but during riding I can feel it shifting from side to side. I have tightened the bracket as much as possible, but it keeps shifting. I have noticed a large amount of grease has been applied to the seat post. Could that be my problem?
    We have 4 Trek bikes, two of which date back to 2004. A pair of Navigators and a pair of newer Multitracks. All came with the sprung seat post. All after about a year of use developed the sideways shifting you describe. They use a plastic washer/guide with a key slot. The key slot wears with up and down seat movement. This then allows the movement you describe. I took the seat post out and went in with a socket and tightened up the nut to the point where the seat could no longer move up and down. That cured the side to side shifting while pedaling. That of course killed the sprung effect of the seat post. With a good seat and padded shorts we found we could do without the sprung seat post. It also made it easier to adjust seat height for best pedaling with knee angles. The idea of the sprung seat post adding comfort while riding is questionable.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    14
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiteknight View Post
    We have 4 Trek bikes, two of which date back to 2004. A pair of Navigators and a pair of newer Multitracks. All came with the sprung seat post. All after about a year of use developed the sideways shifting you describe. They use a plastic washer/guide with a key slot. The key slot wears with up and down seat movement. This then allows the movement you describe. I took the seat post out and went in with a socket and tightened up the nut to the point where the seat could no longer move up and down. That cured the side to side shifting while pedaling. That of course killed the sprung effect of the seat post. With a good seat and padded shorts we found we could do without the sprung seat post. It also made it easier to adjust seat height for best pedaling with knee angles. The idea of the sprung seat post adding comfort while riding is questionable.
    Thanks for the reply. Am I removing the seat post from the seat to access key slot? I have tightened every bolt I could find with no luck. If removing the seat post from the seat, how do I go about doing this? Sorry, bike maintenance is very new to me.

  8. #8
    coprolite fietsbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    NW,Oregon Coast
    My Bikes
    7
    Posts
    1,420
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Low cost telescopic suspension seat posts have play, side to side..

    the elastomer within a parallelogram nature of Cane Creek's thudbuster
    seat posts don't have rotary play, but at a premium price.

    Consider a rigid seat post, and a saddle with springs on it, instead..

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    14
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post
    Low cost telescopic suspension seat posts have play, side to side..

    the elastomer within a parallelogram nature of Cane Creek's thudbuster
    seat posts don't have rotary play, but at a premium price.

    Consider a rigid seat post, and a saddle with springs on it, instead..
    I'm taking my Navigator to the bike shop after work today. I'm honestly interested in getting a regular seat post installed. Would my saddle seat be compatible with a regular post?

  10. #10
    coprolite fietsbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    NW,Oregon Coast
    My Bikes
    7
    Posts
    1,420
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Of Course..

  11. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    14
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was thinking of switching to something like this: http://agees.com/product/bontrager-s...m-154693-1.htm

    Would this post be able to support 240 pounds? Thanks.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •