Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Biking Viking. goatalope's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Camp Hill, PA
    My Bikes
    '01 Lemond Buenos Aires, '11 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, 70s Austro Daimler Inter 10, 80s Motobecane Mirage 10 Fixed Gear
    Posts
    299
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Install aluminum wedge on aluminum quill stem?

    Traditional aluminum road quill stems always seem to have steel wedges. Cromo mountain quill stems seem to have aluminum wedges. Can I take the aluminum wedge and install it on the aluminum road stem? Would it be a safety issue?
    Tuesdays I work on my hair helmet.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    7,112
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by goatalope View Post
    Traditional aluminum road quill stems always seem to have steel wedges. Cromo mountain quill stems seem to have aluminum wedges. Can I take the aluminum wedge and install it on the aluminum road stem? Would it be a safety issue?
    As long as the OD and angle of the cut match it should be fine.

    For what it is worth, my cyclocross bike has a deda murex stem (alloy stem, alloy wedge, alloy bolt) and I ride it off road.

  3. #3
    Senior Member RookieRoadie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Plymouth, UK
    My Bikes
    2010 Trek 1.5
    Posts
    92
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know for certain, but I'd guess it has do with the parts binding as much as anything else. I think if using aluminum on aluminum, it's a good idea to use some kind of anti-seize compound. Other than that I don't see any issues.
    Distinctly mediocre.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    7,112
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RookieRoadie View Post
    I don't know for certain, but I'd guess it has do with the parts binding as much as anything else. I think if using aluminum on aluminum, it's a good idea to use some kind of anti-seize compound. Other than that I don't see any issues.
    Deda reccomends grease to keep their all alloy quill stem from binding.

  5. #5
    coprolite fietsbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    NW,Oregon Coast
    My Bikes
    7
    Posts
    35,758
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are aluminum wedges, thread match with the bolt is an issue.

    my Cinelli 1R has a conic wedge it uses an aluminum bolt.. not too tight !
    you dont have to get a lot of friction in the steerer to steer the bike..

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    3,931
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thirdgenbird View Post
    As long as the OD and angle of the cut match it should be fine..
    And there are lots of variations out there! I've never been able to mix'n match,

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    572
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Re post no. 5: I recall from the olden days, Cinelli intended the 1R aluminum stem bolt to be installed only after you use a steel bolt to secure the stem safely. That is, crank down with steel bolt, remove steel bolt, install aluminum bolt with only enough torque to ensure that the conical wedge won't loosen.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •