Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 33
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    NJ
    My Bikes
    1984 Bianchi Nuevo Racing
    Posts
    13
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Resurfacing Cones

    With the suggestion from fietsbob, and some info from Aaron Goss, I took a shot at resurfacing my Ofmega rear hub cones. I was having difficulty finding replacement cones (well I looked at one well stocked LBS), but since they were toast anyway, I took a shot at regrinding them.

    Here's what I did:

    I made a mandrel out of 1/2 inch aluminum round rod. Turned it down to 10mm diameter on the lathe, and threaded to 26 threads per inch. Instead of the mandrel, I could have used the axle, but I didn't want to take the chance of messing it up, and I didn't have a junk one to use.

    Screwed the cone onto the mandrel and used the axle nut as a jam nut to keep the cone from slipping.

    Put the mandrel into the drill press and while spinning the assembly used a Dremel with a cone shaped grinding stone to carefully and evenly grind out the pitting.

    Used sanding paper of increasing grits to smooth grinding marks. Finished off by polishing with scotch brite hand pads.

    This actually was very easy to do, and making the mandrel was the hardest part. From the time I got the cones into the drill press, it took maybe 1/2 hour.

    We'll see how they last, not sure if I ground through all the case hardened metal and got to the softer stuff, but at least this gets me back on the bike while I source some new cones.

    Attached pictures will give sense of what I did. Anyway, I hope this motivates some folks to give the process a try in a pinch. Cheers!
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    Cottered Crank Amesja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago
    My Bikes
    1954 Raleigh Sports 1974 Raleigh Competition 1969 Raleigh Twenty 1964 Raleigh LTD-3
    Posts
    3,348
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe try some DIY case-hardening on the cone's race surface by heating it up to glowing red with a MAPP torch and then quenching it into some clean motor oil? (maybe have a fire extinguisher handy in case you ignite the oil...)

    Just a thought. Never done it myself on a bearing surfaces although I've done it to some other metals (gunsmithin' in the Wile E. Coyote method.)
    '74 Raleigh Carlton Competition w/ Ultegra | '97 Trek 720 Singletrack CX-er w/ 105 | '64 Raleigh LTD-3 modernized w/ all alloy components |'69 Raleigh Twenty | '54 Raleigh Sports

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    NJ
    My Bikes
    1984 Bianchi Nuevo Racing
    Posts
    13
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I thought about packing it in charcoal and heating ala Guy Lautard, but I would actually like to see if it is necessary first. I'll ride the bike for a month or so and see if I can detect any noticible wear on the cones.

    In the meantime, I'll find some new cones somewhere - maybe I should build them from scratch in the shop!

  4. #4
    Senior Member miamijim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Tampa, Florida
    Posts
    11,611
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Are Campy cones interchangeable with Ofmega?

    If so you can get Campy's on ebay for $5 each.
    WWW.CYCLESPEUGEOT.COM 2005 Pinarello Dogma; 1991 Paramount PDG 70 Mtb; 1976? AD Vent Noir; 1989 LeMond Maillot Juane F&F; 1993? Basso GAP F&F; 1989 Terry Symmetry; 2003 Trek 4700 Mtb; 1983 Vitus 979

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3,829
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool job! I'd be interested to know how they hold up.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    NJ
    My Bikes
    1984 Bianchi Nuevo Racing
    Posts
    13
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by miamijim View Post
    Are Campy cones interchangeable with Ofmega?

    If so you can get Campy's on ebay for $5 each.

    Well, I thought so, but the LBS has Campys and we tried 3 different styles and none fit right. I did get some new Campys for the front which worked perfectly, but it was NG on the rears. One guy told me that he thought you might have to switch out the axles for Campys, so maybe there is a 10x1 version that they made. I am going to check out a bunch of stores and see what I can find but now I have a way to get there!!

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    New Rochelle, NY
    My Bikes
    too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter
    Posts
    18,194
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    These should hold up pretty well, and last a good while. If ultimately you need replacements, and cannot find originals, buy a piece of air hardening steel and make a pair fresh, picking the basic dimensions off these.

    Since air hardening grades often work harden, they may be hard to tap, so you can make the cone as a small ring with a 12mm or so ID, and minimum depth (length). Then press it onto a support nut made of milder steel, or your existing cones cut down to a step to accept the bearing race you've just made.

    Or you can source a pair of right side cones for current, aluminum axle Campy hubs, and make the threaded carriers, to fit whatever axles you want.
    FB
    Chain-L site

    An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

    “Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin

    “One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

    WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

  8. #8
    bike whisperer Kimmo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Melbourne, Oz
    My Bikes
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - http://velospace.org/node/36949 http://velospace.org/node/47746 http://velospace.org/node/47747
    Posts
    6,548
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, I'm impressed. Nice work!

    Quote Originally Posted by John NJ View Post
    I'll ride the bike for a month or so and see if I can detect any noticible wear on the cones.
    Prolly a good move anyway; if the metal's softer, this might break in a smoother track than you've created. If you keep rotating the axle...

    Oh yeah, my mate reckons you should swap em onto the front if they're the same size, good call.
    Last edited by Kimmo; 08-01-12 at 08:19 PM.

  9. #9
    7-speed doomsday prepper ThermionicScott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    CID
    My Bikes
    1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX
    Posts
    7,559
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like this kind of DIY reuse -- contemplating it with some pitted bottom bracket parts.
    Quote Originally Posted by chandltp View Post
    There's no such thing as too far.. just lack of time
    RUSA #7498

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    NJ
    My Bikes
    1984 Bianchi Nuevo Racing
    Posts
    13
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimmo View Post
    Oh yeah, my mate reckons you should swap em onto the front if they're the same size, good call.
    Unfortunately not the right size to swap - Front uses 7/32 balls and is compatible with campy cones, so I replaced them. But now I will make a mandrel and resurface the old fronts to have as spares.

  11. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    NJ
    My Bikes
    1984 Bianchi Nuevo Racing
    Posts
    13
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ThermionicScott View Post
    I like this kind of DIY reuse -- contemplating it with some pitted bottom bracket parts.
    Yeah, I am a cheapskate, especially if I can find a way to fix something myself. the front cones cost me $12.50 apiece, which surprised me...

    I would give it a shot. If pits are not too bad you might try using a bearing pressed into the end of a piece of tubing and some valve lapping compound available at your local NAPA to do the cups. I think the trick is to do as little metal removal as possible. To do the spindle, you might have to make some kind of fixture to hold the spindle coaxially in the chuck of your drill/lathe, or if you have a lathe could do it with a 4 jaw chuck.

  12. #12
    Cottered Crank Amesja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago
    My Bikes
    1954 Raleigh Sports 1974 Raleigh Competition 1969 Raleigh Twenty 1964 Raleigh LTD-3
    Posts
    3,348
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John NJ View Post
    Yeah, I am a cheapskate, especially if I can find a way to fix something myself. the front cones cost me $12.50 apiece, which surprised me...

    I would give it a shot. If pits are not too bad you might try using a bearing pressed into the end of a piece of tubing and some valve lapping compound available at your local NAPA to do the cups. I think the trick is to do as little metal removal as possible. To do the spindle, you might have to make some kind of fixture to hold the spindle coaxially in the chuck of your drill/lathe, or if you have a lathe could do it with a 4 jaw chuck.
    I'm a cheapskate myself. For $12.50 x 2 I could buy a set of spokes and a new-used hub and rebuild the wheel...
    '74 Raleigh Carlton Competition w/ Ultegra | '97 Trek 720 Singletrack CX-er w/ 105 | '64 Raleigh LTD-3 modernized w/ all alloy components |'69 Raleigh Twenty | '54 Raleigh Sports

  13. #13
    bike whisperer Kimmo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Melbourne, Oz
    My Bikes
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - http://velospace.org/node/36949 http://velospace.org/node/47746 http://velospace.org/node/47747
    Posts
    6,548
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A proper cheapskate has a box of spare cones he's saved over the years

    ...And a clever one has em ziptied in pairs.

  14. #14
    Dirt Bomb sknhgy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    2,532
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gotta love Yankee ingenuity. I would also like to know how they hold up.
    I have a wheel with a discolored cup - lightly scored. I'm thinking of polishing it with some toothpaste or Clover compound, then putting in new bearings. It would be an experiment, and it will give me a backup set of wheels in case the good ones need servicing.
    more cops have been killed by donuts than guns in chicago it is a medical fact ask any doctor.

  15. #15
    Hello zebede's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Suncoast, Florida
    My Bikes
    BF Tikit, Dahon Speed TR, Mezzo I4
    Posts
    507
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why couldn't you use an old axle for a mandrel?

    When the cup was pitted, I have also used a different cone with a slightly different angle forcing the balls to run in a slightly different track.

  16. #16
    Senior Member bud16415's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Erie Penna.
    Posts
    1,017
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They will wear in before they wear out.

    Nice job
    What's not in your legs needs to be in your gears.

  17. #17
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    NJ
    My Bikes
    1984 Bianchi Nuevo Racing
    Posts
    13
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zebede View Post
    Why couldn't you use an old axle for a mandrel?
    I would have if I had one, although this method also allowed me to be sure I had everything along the same axis, plus it gave me an opportunity to play with the lathe, which is always fun.

  18. #18
    30 YR Wrench BikeWise1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Oxford, OH
    My Bikes
    Waterford R-33, Madone 6.5, Trek 520
    Posts
    1,961
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't wait for someone to come in the shop and say "hey, I saw that you can just resurface my cones on the internet!" Some guys seriously don't get the idea that a DIY project is when you Do It Yourself!

  19. #19
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    NJ
    My Bikes
    1984 Bianchi Nuevo Racing
    Posts
    13
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeWise1 View Post
    I can't wait for someone to come in the shop and say "hey, I saw that you can just resurface my cones on the internet!" Some guys seriously don't get the idea that a DIY project is when you Do It Yourself!
    Well given the time it took, I suggest you tell them that you charge them $75 for labor to shut them up. If they still want to do resurfacing, contact me, and I will do it for $50 and you can keep the rest...




    Also for anyone interested, I found new cones that work... They were NOS Campy Nuovo Record cones from the 70's. The Ofmega hub is from either 1983 or 4 (the bike is a 1984 Bianchi, and some of the parts are stamped 1983, even though I can't find a date on the rear hub). So the large number of folks that told me Campy cones are compatable are correct (sort of). You have to find the "right" Campy cones, so don't just buy em off the internet... go to your LBS and try them. Apparently the cup wall thickness is thicker on the older hubs so that the cones need to be narrower (at least this is what I now believe).

    And, Kimmo - I now have the old cones ziptied together in the parts bin...

  20. #20
    Senior Member Nick Bain's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    MINNESNOWTA!
    My Bikes
    raliegh pursuit, Caad8, Tarmac comp, Raleigh R700, Raliegh M80, Schwinn prostockIII, Sawnwa Mixte custom Chopper
    Posts
    1,663
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    that is just to cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by toddles View Post
    Nick, I don't necessarily like agreeing with you -- but your spot on.

  21. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Yonkers, NY
    My Bikes
    85 League Fuji w/ flat bars, 87 Cannondale ST400, League Fuji Fixie, Raleigh Pursuit Fixie, 93 Cannondale M500, Kabuki Submariner 12, 90 Fuji Suncrest, 74 Raleigh Grand Prix project, Peugeot Mixte project
    Posts
    68
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    A year later

    This is my first post but I have gotten lots of valuable info from the Forum. Thanks very much for that.

    I have the same issue with a set of Suntour LePree hubs I would like to repair. The wheels are strong alloy eyeletted and the hubs seem to be nicely made of stainless(?).

    The cones are beefy so I thought if I mounted them together with both races facing each other on the axle (or other) and chucked them in a drill press, the shape of the combined races would form a semicircle.

    Using a drill bit (not the cutting end) of the correct size to fit the contour, wrapped in emery cloth I could dress the races simultaneously and equally. Further by using a slightly larger diameter contour I could move the track the bearings would take further to the outside, minimizing the amount of metal that needed to be removed. In other words, the messed up part could remain, more or less, because the bearing surface would be "upstream" a bit.

    I hope this works because it's my favorite old bike, A Salvation Army Thrift Store picked Fuji Sport VALite steel for $75. I built it over 13 years ago to ride in the NYC Five Borough Tour with platform pedals, flat bars, grip shifters, and Shimano Deore and 105 drive train. One year I painted it silver metallic and have tweaked it over the years. This year the hubs need attention. I'm embarrassed that they got to this state.

    I'll take some pictures and post them as the process evolves.

    Thanks again for all the guidance in the past.




    Quote Originally Posted by John NJ View Post
    With the suggestion from fietsbob, and some info from Aaron Goss, I took a shot at resurfacing my Ofmega rear hub cones. I was having difficulty finding replacement cones (well I looked at one well stocked LBS), but since they were toast anyway, I took a shot at regrinding them.

    Here's what I did:

    I made a mandrel out of 1/2 inch aluminum round rod. Turned it down to 10mm diameter on the lathe, and threaded to 26 threads per inch. Instead of the mandrel, I could have used the axle, but I didn't want to take the chance of messing it up, and I didn't have a junk one to use.

    Screwed the cone onto the mandrel and used the axle nut as a jam nut to keep the cone from slipping.

    Put the mandrel into the drill press and while spinning the assembly used a Dremel with a cone shaped grinding stone to carefully and evenly grind out the pitting.

    Used sanding paper of increasing grits to smooth grinding marks. Finished off by polishing with scotch brite hand pads.

    This actually was very easy to do, and making the mandrel was the hardest part. From the time I got the cones into the drill press, it took maybe 1/2 hour.

    We'll see how they last, not sure if I ground through all the case hardened metal and got to the softer stuff, but at least this gets me back on the bike while I source some new cones.

    Attached pictures will give sense of what I did. Anyway, I hope this motivates some folks to give the process a try in a pinch. Cheers!

  22. #22
    bike whisperer Kimmo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Melbourne, Oz
    My Bikes
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - http://velospace.org/node/36949 http://velospace.org/node/47746 http://velospace.org/node/47747
    Posts
    6,548
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Now that's how you bump a thread - with a heading!

    Nice one.

    I doubt your hubs are SS, that'd be quite strange (although SS rims aren't unheard of in some parts of Europe). With eyeleted rims, they're most likely ally, just with a high polish.

    Your plan seems like a good one. You might need some washers to make up for the cones sitting deeper in the hubs.

  23. #23
    Senior Member oldbobcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Boulder County, CO
    My Bikes
    '79 Gios, '80 Masi, '06 Felt, early '60s Frejus
    Posts
    2,456
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wheels Manufacturing (wheelsmfg.com) makes cones in dozens of sizes and tapers. And if you're unsure about the threading, order with an axle and locknuts.

  24. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Yonkers, NY
    My Bikes
    85 League Fuji w/ flat bars, 87 Cannondale ST400, League Fuji Fixie, Raleigh Pursuit Fixie, 93 Cannondale M500, Kabuki Submariner 12, 90 Fuji Suncrest, 74 Raleigh Grand Prix project, Peugeot Mixte project
    Posts
    68
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're probably right. The only parts I suspected might be SS were the cones and axle. They were very bright for for 30 year old parts. The hub itself is aluminum and SS would not have been optimum in any case for the cones, I think. I'll be going to a solid axle that I can't bend with my 240lb. They're cool again i see. I would like SS for that and SS or chrome track nuts. The parts bin will provide!

    Quote Originally Posted by Kimmo View Post
    Nice one.

    I doubt your hubs are SS, that'd be quite strange (although SS rims aren't unheard of in some parts of Europe). With eyeleted rims, they're most likely ally, just with a high polish.

    Your plan seems like a good one. You might need some washers to make up for the cones sitting deeper in the hubs.

  25. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Yonkers, NY
    My Bikes
    85 League Fuji w/ flat bars, 87 Cannondale ST400, League Fuji Fixie, Raleigh Pursuit Fixie, 93 Cannondale M500, Kabuki Submariner 12, 90 Fuji Suncrest, 74 Raleigh Grand Prix project, Peugeot Mixte project
    Posts
    68
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I checked their site. With cones and caliper in hand, I found a few that might be close enough, but no convincing matches. Plan B is to send mine to Wheels or Harris and see what they can provide. The threading is 10x1 rear and 9x1 front, no problem there. The other issue would be the grease seals if the cone diameters can't be matched.

    Quote Originally Posted by oldbobcat View Post
    Wheels Manufacturing (wheelsmfg.com) makes cones in dozens of sizes and tapers. And if you're unsure about the threading, order with an axle and locknuts.
    Last edited by jodphoto; 07-01-13 at 10:56 AM. Reason: typo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •