Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Airborne Marauder Decatur_Tide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    River City
    Posts
    98
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Suspension Fork Question...

    Right now I have a cheap Suntour threaded suspension fork with threaded headset. I would like to change over to a Rock Shox Recon Silver fork that is threadless with new threadless headset. Will this fit?

    Here is a link to the new fork:http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/235...TP.htm&zmam=30

    Thanks for any help.

    Chuck

  2. #2
    Banned.
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    My Bikes
    CCM Torino 76
    Posts
    937
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe. What is the diameter of the steerer tube on your current bike? If you have a 1-1/8" headset (if th quill of your stem is 25.4mm diameter) then you can probably fit it if you get a new headset and stem.

    However, if your bike came with a threaded headset then it is likely almost 20 years old (threaded headsets were almost completely gone from mountain bikes by the mid nineties) then it is likely a ~50mm or less travel fork. A newer fork will push the front end of you bike up an additional 2" which may impact the handling negatively.

    Also, if your bike still has the original centre pull cantilever brakes, you will have to switch to v brakes or discs (which would also require a new front wheel) as you cannot mount a canti brake cable stop on the Rockshox fork. You will likely need new brake levers for either of these options, too.

    I have to ask - what are you trying to accomplish with this? For a couple hundred dollars more you could get a whole new bike the same quality as what would have come with Suntour forks bak in the 90s. FOr the same price you could likely find something considerably better if you go for a used bike.

    IMHO, this would not be as much an 'upgrade' as a 'waste of money.' If you current fork is completely buggered but the rest of the bike is immaculate, then a replacement rigid fork would be a better choice.

  3. #3
    Airborne Marauder Decatur_Tide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    River City
    Posts
    98
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DCB0 View Post
    Maybe. What is the diameter of the steerer tube on your current bike? If you have a 1-1/8" headset (if th quill of your stem is 25.4mm diameter) then you can probably fit it if you get a new headset and stem.

    However, if your bike came with a threaded headset then it is likely almost 20 years old (threaded headsets were almost completely gone from mountain bikes by the mid nineties) then it is likely a ~50mm or less travel fork. A newer fork will push the front end of you bike up an additional 2" which may impact the handling negatively.

    Also, if your bike still has the original centre pull cantilever brakes, you will have to switch to v brakes or discs (which would also require a new front wheel) as you cannot mount a canti brake cable stop on the Rockshox fork. You will likely need new brake levers for either of these options, too.

    I have to ask - what are you trying to accomplish with this? For a couple hundred dollars more you could get a whole new bike the same quality as what would have come with Suntour forks bak in the 90s. FOr the same price you could likely find something considerably better if you go for a used bike.

    IMHO, this would not be as much an 'upgrade' as a 'waste of money.' If you current fork is completely buggered but the rest of the bike is immaculate, then a replacement rigid fork would be a better choice.

    It's a 2010 steel hardtail (comfort) bike that I am converting to a trail bike. Right now it does ok on the trails but was wanting a little more travel.
    I've put a quill on it now that converts it to threadless for my new stem and handlebars. I'm thinking the quill was 25.4mm, bought it from Nashbar.
    The brakes are linear pull right now so if the fork that I am looking at will fit, I can still use the brakes that I've got and could eventually upgrade to disc later on.

  4. #4
    coprolite fietsbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    NW,Oregon Coast
    My Bikes
    7
    Posts
    40,067
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right now I have a cheap Suntour threaded suspension fork with threaded headset.
    Well, depends on measurements ,

    A stem which is itself 1" in diameter is in a 9/8" steerer tube .

    it is 1" ID, 1_1/8" OD

    a Fork that has a 1" steerer tube has a 7/8" stem in it. AKA.. 22.2 ID, 25.4 OD.

  5. #5
    Airborne Marauder Decatur_Tide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    River City
    Posts
    98
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post
    Well, depends on measurements ,

    A stem which is itself 1" in diameter is in a 9/8" steerer tube .

    it is 1" ID, 1_1/8" OD

    a Fork that has a 1" steerer tube has a 7/8" stem in it. AKA.. 22.2 ID, 25.4 OD.
    Thanks fietsbob, I think the steerer tube is 1 1/8" OD because I have a 25.4mm quill adapter inserted into it right now.

  6. #6
    Banned.
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    My Bikes
    CCM Torino 76
    Posts
    937
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It sounds like it should work.

    I doubt there will be a very big difference in performance, though.

  7. #7
    Airborne Marauder Decatur_Tide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    River City
    Posts
    98
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DCB0 View Post
    It sounds like it should work.

    I doubt there will be a very big difference in performance, though.
    You're probably right DCBO, just going from 50mm to 100 mm travel to smooth things out a bit.

    Thanks for your input.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •