Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Help with Shifter Setup

    Hello everyone! I just picked up this Kent super 24 bike and it was really firm when trying to shift into lower gears so I took apart the shifter part which I probably shouldn't have and I can figure out how it goes back together. I don't think the problem was there anyways. Here are some pictures of what I need help with. I have no idea how it goes back in I have tried everything.








  2. #2
    bike whisperer Kimmo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Melbourne, Oz
    My Bikes
    copy/paste links: http://velospace.org/node/36949 http://velospace.org/node/47746 http://velospace.org/node/47747
    Posts
    6,842
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get it off the bars and get the cable out of the way, then give it another shot.

    It'll be miles easier when you can sit down at a table with it.

    Also, that derailleur hanger needs a good tweak; the jockey wheels should be vertical.

    Another thing: that looks like a department store full suspension bike, which is highly likely to be a BSO; if you get keen on cycling, this isn't a bike you want to throw money at.

  3. #3
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimmo View Post
    Get it off the bars and get the cable out of the way, then give it another shot.

    It'll be miles easier when you can sit down at a table with it.

    Also, that derailleur hanger needs a good tweak; the jockey wheels should be vertical.

    Another thing: that looks like a department store full suspension bike, which is highly likely to be a BSO; if you get keen on cycling, this isn't a bike you want to throw money at.
    Ok yeah I bought it for $20. How do I make the derailleur vertical? Yeah it would just be for biking on vacations. Nothing serious.

  4. #4
    bike whisperer Kimmo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Melbourne, Oz
    My Bikes
    copy/paste links: http://velospace.org/node/36949 http://velospace.org/node/47746 http://velospace.org/node/47747
    Posts
    6,842
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    $20 is a fair price, and you're putting the BSO to its intended use, so that's all good then...

    I'd put a shifting spanner snug across the ends of the derailleur's upper pivot. You can just push the derailleur back out of the way.

    But first make sure you eye up the exact direction of the bend well; moving the derailleur through its range of motion on the pivot will help.

  5. #5
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimmo View Post
    $20 is a fair price, and you're putting the BSO to its intended use, so that's all good then...

    I'd put a shifting spanner snug across the ends of the derailleur's upper pivot. You can just push the derailleur back out of the way.

    But first make sure you eye up the exact direction of the bend well; moving the derailleur through its range of motion on the pivot will help.
    Ok I guess I dont understand what to do cause I dont see a way of tightening it up. I think I wanna just buy a new one and also a throttle shifter. Where can I get those from?


  6. #6
    bike whisperer Kimmo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Melbourne, Oz
    My Bikes
    copy/paste links: http://velospace.org/node/36949 http://velospace.org/node/47746 http://velospace.org/node/47747
    Posts
    6,842
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was talking about using the shifter as a lever.

    As for bike parts? You mean, aside from a bike shop? Google for a local co-op.

    Or just man up and straighten it, and reassemble that shifter.

  7. #7
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimmo View Post
    I was talking about using the shifter as a lever.

    As for bike parts? You mean, aside from a bike shop? Google for a local co-op.

    Or just man up and straighten it, and reassemble that shifter.
    I guess I dont understand what you mean by using the shifter as a lever.

    This is the first time I have worked on a mountain bike so its new to me. The shifter is confusing because I put it together and fit but still wasnt working.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    2,867
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "I guess I dont understand what you mean by using the shifter as a lever."

    A "shifting spanner" is Brit for an adjustable wrench.

  9. #9
    bike whisperer Kimmo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Melbourne, Oz
    My Bikes
    copy/paste links: http://velospace.org/node/36949 http://velospace.org/node/47746 http://velospace.org/node/47747
    Posts
    6,842
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •