Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-17-12, 04:54 PM   #1
mdesanc13
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: New York/Amsterdam
Bikes: Raleigh R300
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
which touring/commuting tires?

looking to upgrade my rubber.
i now have 700x28c continental ultra sports. cheap, crappy tires.
the guy i bought the bike from put them on the bike and ive gotten 3 flats in 300-400 miles.
yes, ive put the tubes in right, trust me when i say its the tires. ive seen tons of bad reviews for them online.


i have a touring bike, what i want is some bulletproof tires that will go thousands of miles for me. im willing to shell out about $50 clams for a tire.
i think some tread will be nice because i want to use it in a variety of weather, but if the tires are treadless and do well in all weather im fine with that.
i commute, do tours, centuries, ect.

i would like the tires to absorb some amount of bumps too for a more comfy ride and so my wheels stay true longer.

im trying to decide between these continental tires:

gatorskin http://www.amazon.com/Continental-Ga...pr_product_top

top contact http://www.amazon.com/Continental-Co...ywords=700x28c

tour ride http://www.amazon.com/Continental-To...ywords=700x28c

touring plus http://www.amazon.com/Continental-To...cmu_pg__header
anyone here who can give me their 2 cents on which would best suit me/ knows of a quality tire?

thanks,
-matt
mdesanc13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-12, 05:05 PM   #2
jimc101
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: West Yorkshire, United Kingdom
Bikes:
Posts: 4,772
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Have used Gatorskins (23mm) and Top Contacts (28mm), never found the Gartorskins to be anything special, they worked fine, but didn't find that special thing some do with them, still got punctures with them.

For the Top Contact, they feel real nice, and should do at the premium price, but really didn't like the ride the rear gave when loaded; always felt squidgy even at 60 PSI or above, swapped out to a Schwalbe Marathon Plus for the rear, Top Contact for the front, which give a great combination.

For keeping the wheel true, no tire will help significantly with this, you need well built wheel in the first place.
jimc101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-12, 05:24 PM   #3
mdesanc13
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: New York/Amsterdam
Bikes: Raleigh R300
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimc101 View Post
Have used Gatorskins (23mm) and Top Contacts (28mm), never found the Gartorskins to be anything special, they worked fine, but didn't find that special thing some do with them, still got punctures with them.

For the Top Contact, they feel real nice, and should do at the premium price, but really didn't like the ride the rear gave when loaded; always felt squidgy even at 60 PSI or above, swapped out to a Schwalbe Marathon Plus for the rear, Top Contact for the front, which give a great combination.

For keeping the wheel true, no tire will help significantly with this, you need well built wheel in the first place.
exactly what i was looking for. thanks.
trying to decide between top contact and touring plus
leaning towards the touring plus since im on a college budget and it seems like a good tire for $35
mdesanc13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-12, 05:34 PM   #4
mdesanc13
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: New York/Amsterdam
Bikes: Raleigh R300
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
so why not two schwalbe marathon plus? why have the top contact in front? less rolling resistance?
now those are looking nice at $40
http://www.amazon.com/Schwalbe-Marat...eywords=700x28
mdesanc13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-12, 05:54 PM   #5
jimc101
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: West Yorkshire, United Kingdom
Bikes:
Posts: 4,772
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdesanc13 View Post
so why not two schwalbe marathon plus? why have the top contact in front? less rolling resistance?
Because I had a single Marathon Plus as a spare, it didn't cost anything to try, and it worked.
jimc101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-12, 07:32 PM   #6
mdesanc13
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: New York/Amsterdam
Bikes: Raleigh R300
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
gonna get me a pair of schwalbe marathon plus tires.
onlookers who are wondering the same thing take note of this:
turns out after some research, that the touring plus is continental's equivalent to schwalbe's marathon plus. the marathon plus seem very widely recognized as the superior tire, if not one of the best touring/commuting tires.
check out this page: http://epicureancyclist.com/?p=855
mdesanc13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-12, 08:53 AM   #7
davidad
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 4,856
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdesanc13 View Post
gonna get me a pair of schwalbe marathon plus tires.
onlookers who are wondering the same thing take note of this:
turns out after some research, that the touring plus is continental's equivalent to schwalbe's marathon plus. the marathon plus seem very widely recognized as the superior tire, if not one of the best touring/commuting tires.
check out this page: http://epicureancyclist.com/?p=855
My only complaint about the Marathons is that they are very difficult to install. I use this tool. http://www.biketoolsetc.com/index.cg...&item_id=KS-TJ
davidad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-12, 09:00 AM   #8
Slaninar
Bike Gremlin
 
Slaninar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Novi Sad
Bikes: Custom made on Scott Speedster frame, Custom made on a 1996. steel MTB frame (all but frame changed at least once in the past 20 years).
Posts: 2,291
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Marathon front is less grippy. Just my experience. Durable, OK ride, but not too grippy on braking, or hard cornering.
Slaninar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-12, 09:33 AM   #9
3alarmer
Can'tre Member
 
3alarmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: The Big Tomato
Bikes: old ones
Posts: 13,895
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 637 Post(s)
Schwalbe..........FTW
3alarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-12, 09:56 AM   #10
wroomwroomoops
Sir Fallalot
 
wroomwroomoops's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Bikes:
Posts: 5,275
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I do think Schwalbe has thoroughly graduated in puncture resistance. At the moment, they are head and shoulder above everybody else in this department. The Marathon Plus are the best-of-breed in terms of puncture protection and durability, but I would suggest to the OP the lighter (and easier to install) Schwalbe Silento. They're also cheaper than the Marathon Plus.
wroomwroomoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-12, 12:26 PM   #11
mdesanc13
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: New York/Amsterdam
Bikes: Raleigh R300
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
im all for another schwalbe tire as long as it's just as tough. i dont mind think ill mind the weight of the marathon plus (even though theyre more than twice the weight of the ultrasports i have)
but i cant find the silento in a 700x28c size, any other tires in 700x28 that may be comparable to the marathon plus in durability?
700x28 marathon plus= 740g
700x28 ultrasport= 350g
mdesanc13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-12, 12:29 PM   #12
mdesanc13
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: New York/Amsterdam
Bikes: Raleigh R300
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
how about other tires in the marathon line? anyone?
http://www.amazon.com/Schwalbe-Marat...walbe+marathon
this is a little over 500g as opposed to the marathon plus
mdesanc13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-12, 12:33 PM   #13
Slaninar
Bike Gremlin
 
Slaninar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Novi Sad
Bikes: Custom made on Scott Speedster frame, Custom made on a 1996. steel MTB frame (all but frame changed at least once in the past 20 years).
Posts: 2,291
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdesanc13 View Post
im all for another schwalbe tire as long as it's just as tough. i dont mind think ill mind the weight of the marathon plus (even though theyre more than twice the weight of the ultrasports i have)
but i cant find the silento in a 700x28c size, any other tires in 700x28 that may be comparable to the marathon plus in durability?
700x28 marathon plus= 740g
700x28 ultrasport= 350g
Regular marathons fit what you've written in your first post in this topic. Lighter than marathon plus, a little. Work fine: thornproof (tested it more than once), roll OK (not the fastest tyre), grip is OK on wet and even light snow, but on dry there are A LOT grippier tyres. I use them for commuting on bad roads (paved and not) and find them a good compromise for all weather/all kinds of road use.
Slaninar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-12, 01:07 PM   #14
Leebo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: North of Boston
Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,
Posts: 3,665
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Panaracer pasela tourguard 700 x35 or 32, I use the 35"s with great results.
Leebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-12, 01:10 PM   #15
wroomwroomoops
Sir Fallalot
 
wroomwroomoops's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Bikes:
Posts: 5,275
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdesanc13 View Post
im all for another schwalbe tire as long as it's just as tough. i dont mind think ill mind the weight of the marathon plus (even though theyre more than twice the weight of the ultrasports i have)
but i cant find the silento in a 700x28c size, any other tires in 700x28 that may be comparable to the marathon plus in durability?
700x28 marathon plus= 740g
700x28 ultrasport= 350g
I apologize, I was under the impression that Schwalbe Silento's are available in that width, too. Maybe they were - mine is pretty narrow (will have a look later, bike's downstairs and it's night and getting cold). Anyhow, that's academic at this point; Schwalbe changed their portfolio somewhat. I had a look at their USA website, and found a few novelties, among them a slightly improved Marathon Racer:
http://www.schwalbetires.com/bike_ti...thon_racer_429
They have an ETRTO 30-622 tire, which is just slightly fatter than a 28-622. Weights only 395 g, so I think you should definitely have a looksy. In fact, I'm interested also. According to Schwalbe, the new Marathon Racer are very nicely rolling tires.

Of course, if push comes to shove, there's always the Marathon Supreme, which, as the name implies, is of supreme quality - I have a pair, I love them to bits.
http://www.schwalbetires.com/bike_ti...rathon_supreme
It comes in 28-622 and weights only 310 g. It's incredible that they managed to pack that much puncture protection in such a nicely rolling and light tire!

Drawback? Expensive like hell. Which is why I am looking for half-buttocked alternatives
wroomwroomoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-12, 11:03 PM   #16
mdesanc13
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: New York/Amsterdam
Bikes: Raleigh R300
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wroomwroomoops View Post
I apologize, I was under the impression that Schwalbe Silento's are available in that width, too. Maybe they were - mine is pretty narrow (will have a look later, bike's downstairs and it's night and getting cold). Anyhow, that's academic at this point; Schwalbe changed their portfolio somewhat. I had a look at their USA website, and found a few novelties, among them a slightly improved Marathon Racer:
http://www.schwalbetires.com/bike_ti...thon_racer_429
They have an ETRTO 30-622 tire, which is just slightly fatter than a 28-622. Weights only 395 g, so I think you should definitely have a looksy. In fact, I'm interested also. According to Schwalbe, the new Marathon Racer are very nicely rolling tires.

Of course, if push comes to shove, there's always the Marathon Supreme, which, as the name implies, is of supreme quality - I have a pair, I love them to bits.
http://www.schwalbetires.com/bike_ti...rathon_supreme
It comes in 28-622 and weights only 310 g. It's incredible that they managed to pack that much puncture protection in such a nicely rolling and light tire!

Drawback? Expensive like hell. Which is why I am looking for half-buttocked alternatives
i very much appreciate all the input my friend. im thinking of getting the marathon hs 420's
http://www.amazon.com/Schwalbe-Marat...arathon+hs+420
im worried about going any bigger than 700x28, because its likely that any of these tires running 700x28 are larger than the ultrasports im running now. it would be cutting it a little close. i need the money but im thinking these will do me just fine and not weigh as much as the marathon plus, maybe handle a little better as well

if you couldnt tell im very careful about making decisions, either that or im just very bad at it
mdesanc13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-12, 12:12 AM   #17
wroomwroomoops
Sir Fallalot
 
wroomwroomoops's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Bikes:
Posts: 5,275
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Certainly, the Marathon Plus have the harshest ride of all the Schwalbe's touring tires. But if you're buying a Marathon Plus, you don't care: you're buying a bombproof, quite literally indestructible tire that you can put on your tandem or super-loaded touring bike, and leave the spare tubes, patches and tire levers at home forever. The Schwalbe Marathon rolls smoother than the Plus, but I, for one, am going to look into the Racer. If they roll as nicely as Schwalbe claims, they might just be the tires for my commuter bikes.
wroomwroomoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-12, 01:30 AM   #18
MichaelW
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: England
Bikes:
Posts: 12,923
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I recommend Marathon Plus for people who absolutely don't want a puncture and don't want the hassle of fixing one. These people include users of IHG/hub brake utility bikes, commuters and tourists with no mechanical skill, folding bike commuters, commuters who ride in suits.
My own choice of tyre is plain Marathon. I can fix a puncture if I have to but they are quite a rare event.
Marathon is a good general purpose tyre but there are faster options if you prefer to ride century style endurance events.
MichaelW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-12, 03:03 AM   #19
digibud
Senior Member
 
digibud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Further North than U
Bikes: Spec Roubaix, three Fisher Montare, two Pugs
Posts: 1,899
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I have friends that rode from the Southern tip of South America to Prudhoe Bay, Alaska using Marathon Plus and raved about them. Good enough recommendation for me. If I do that ride next week I'll get some MPs...
digibud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-12, 08:04 AM   #20
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist
 
cyccommute's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Denver, CO
Bikes: Some silver ones, a black one, a red one, an orange one and a couple of titanium ones
Posts: 17,973
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdesanc13 View Post
exactly what i was looking for. thanks.
trying to decide between top contact and touring plus
leaning towards the touring plus since im on a college budget and it seems like a good tire for $35
I'd not suggest any Continental tire. I've had nothing but problems with them. I've had Top Contact tires that blew off the rim at even the hint of the recommended pressure. They blew through 4 tubes on the first day of a tour, leaving me stranded 25 miles away from the start. I had to carry no less than 6 tubes the rest of the tour and pump the tires up to less than 70 lb which is 20 lb below the recommended pressure. It made for a very squishy 500 mile tour.

I've had Top Touring that cracked and then blew out the sidewall...thankfully, I wasn't on the bike!

And on my last tour, the new Top Contacts I bought at about the midway point did this in less than 200 miles



The outer tread split exposing the inner liner and the inner casing. The split was likely caused by an impact with a rock or a pothole. I probably could have ridden it for the remaining 500 miles but I didn't really trust it. I replaced it with a HelMart Bell Ton 'o Bricks tire that was superior in every way.

The tires I replace after about 800 miles of glass strewn road was a set of Michelin Lithion which were really good tires. I should have kept them but they were looking a little worn. I'd go with them again.
__________________
Stuart Black
New! Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
New! Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!
Days of Wineless Roads. Bed and Breakfasting along the KATY
Twisting Down the Alley. Misadventures in tornado alley.
An Good Ol' Fashion Appalachian Butt Whoopin'.
cyccommute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-12, 08:28 AM   #21
wroomwroomoops
Sir Fallalot
 
wroomwroomoops's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Bikes:
Posts: 5,275
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyccommute View Post
I'd not suggest any Continental tire. I've had nothing but problems with them. I've had Top Contact tires that blew off the rim at even the hint of the recommended pressure. They blew through 4 tubes on the first day of a tour, leaving me stranded 25 miles away from the start. I had to carry no less than 6 tubes the rest of the tour and pump the tires up to less than 70 lb which is 20 lb below the recommended pressure. It made for a very squishy 500 mile tour.

I've had Top Touring that cracked and then blew out the sidewall...thankfully, I wasn't on the bike!

And on my last tour, the new Top Contacts I bought at about the midway point did this in less than 200 miles



The outer tread split exposing the inner liner and the inner casing. The split was likely caused by an impact with a rock or a pothole. I probably could have ridden it for the remaining 500 miles but I didn't really trust it. I replaced it with a HelMart Bell Ton 'o Bricks tire that was superior in every way.

The tires I replace after about 800 miles of glass strewn road was a set of Michelin Lithion which were really good tires. I should have kept them but they were looking a little worn. I'd go with them again.
Are those Conti Top Contact tires made in India?

EDIT: I had a look, and Top Contact tires are horribly expensive!?

Last edited by wroomwroomoops; 08-21-12 at 09:03 AM.
wroomwroomoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-12, 12:59 PM   #22
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist
 
cyccommute's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Denver, CO
Bikes: Some silver ones, a black one, a red one, an orange one and a couple of titanium ones
Posts: 17,973
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wroomwroomoops View Post
Are those Conti Top Contact tires made in India?

EDIT: I had a look, and Top Contact tires are horribly expensive!?
No idea where they were made but I'm not buying any more of them.
__________________
Stuart Black
New! Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
New! Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!
Days of Wineless Roads. Bed and Breakfasting along the KATY
Twisting Down the Alley. Misadventures in tornado alley.
An Good Ol' Fashion Appalachian Butt Whoopin'.
cyccommute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-12, 08:49 PM   #23
mdesanc13
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: New York/Amsterdam
Bikes: Raleigh R300
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
well i just went for a 30 mile ride today, lucky i got that far.
i stopped at a coffee shop in the city and had some tea, after about an hour i realized my rear was flat.
so, at exactly 316.1 miles on conti ultrasports, i have had 4 flats....

NICE! i cant even trust them for short rides. luckly i had a spare tube so i just biked to my friends house and was brought home.
dont think i trust my bike enough to ride it until i get new tires, i think its time to officially retire the ultrasports.

the rear tire tread felt about as thin as the tube itself, i cant believe i had a slow leak and not a blowout, talk about lucky
mdesanc13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-12, 11:06 PM   #24
Turtle Speed
happy bike wishes
 
Turtle Speed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Bikes:
Posts: 264
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How's this old fart make it look so easy getting the Marathon Pluses on?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XUFVrl0UT4

Old dude has skills!
Turtle Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-12, 11:12 PM   #25
ThermionicScott 
Gratuitous glib and snark
 
ThermionicScott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: CID
Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers)
Posts: 13,417
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Ultra Sports have about as little flat protection as possible, so don't be surprised if you keep getting flats. They're designed to be lightweight and fast.

At the risk of sounding condescending, how much effort to you make to steer around cracks and sharp-looking things, and to get out of the saddle when encountering bumps? (If you're rolling over everything like a sack of potatoes and not paying attention to the road, well, that's not good for tires or rims. )
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by chandltp View Post
There's no such thing as too far.. just lack of time
RUSA #7498

Last edited by ThermionicScott; 08-21-12 at 11:16 PM.
ThermionicScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:44 PM.