Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 21 of 21
  1. #1
    Touring Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    My Bikes
    23" Schwinn High Plains, 20" Trek 830 Antelope
    Posts
    102
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Can i put drops on a Schwinn High Plains?

    Hi gang -

    I've acquired a Schwinn High Plains (Cro-Mo frame!!!!), but i'd really like to have drop handle bars on it......

    I know the brake grips would need to be changed, but is there a way to do this without having to switch out shifters?

    Thanks!
    I'm planning on de-branding my 23" Schwinn High Plains updating components and powder-coating the frame - metamorphosizing it into the ULTIMATE TOURING MACHINE!!!

  2. #2
    Lover of Old Chrome Moly Myosmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    NW Minnesota
    Posts
    2,537
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not really. MTB shifters don't generally fit drop bars so your options are to get brifters, stem or downtube shifters. The GMC Denali had a mickey-rigged setup for its grip shift on a drop bar, but that's Denali.
    Lead, follow or get out of the way

  3. #3
    7-speed doomsday prepper ThermionicScott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    CID
    My Bikes
    1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX
    Posts
    7,556
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, unless you want to cut and reweld your handlebars , consider using Shimano A050 shifters. They'll mount to road bars and play nicely with the 7-speed rear you have on your Schwinn.
    Quote Originally Posted by chandltp View Post
    There's no such thing as too far.. just lack of time
    RUSA #7498

  4. #4
    Senior Member leftthread's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Land of Cheese
    Posts
    723
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You might want to peek at Thrifty Bill's thread on mtb drop bar conversions:

    http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...ar+conversions

  5. #5
    Touring Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    My Bikes
    23" Schwinn High Plains, 20" Trek 830 Antelope
    Posts
    102
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by leftthread View Post
    You might want to peek at Thrifty Bill's thread on mtb drop bar conversions:

    http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...ar+conversions
    Thats an *awesome* thread - thanks leftthread!

    So, i'm seeing that if i'm committed to this conversion, then i'd better plan on;
    1) buying a drop-handle bar
    2) buying bar-end shifters (and necessary cabling)
    3) buying new brake calipers (and necessary cabling)
    4) some sweet handle bar wrap

    Is this it?

    Any suggestions on the following (less expensive is, at this stage, better!!!!);
    1) a drop-handle bar?
    2) bar-end shifters (and necessary cabling)?
    3) new brake calipers (and necessary cabling)?
    4) handle bar wrap?

    Again, thanks sooooo much!!!!
    I'm planning on de-branding my 23" Schwinn High Plains updating components and powder-coating the frame - metamorphosizing it into the ULTIMATE TOURING MACHINE!!!

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    England, currently dividing my time between university in Guildford and home just outside Reading
    My Bikes
    Too many to list here!
    Posts
    1,769
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There won't be any need to replace the brakes, since you'll be buying new levers either way, you can get drop-bar brake levers that are compatible with conventional cantilever brakes or with V-brakes depending on what your bike has. Either way, Dia-Compe make some good ones that won't break the bank.

    As for shift levers, you'll almost certainly want Shimano ones, since they seem to be the only ones commonly available. If you get the 8-speed ones, they should index with a 7-speed or 8-speed Shimano cassette with a Shimano MTB derailleur, unless Shimano has messed with its indexing standards again...
    Last edited by Airburst; 08-27-12 at 09:43 AM. Reason: typo

  7. #7
    7-speed doomsday prepper ThermionicScott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    CID
    My Bikes
    1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX
    Posts
    7,556
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll throw in another plug for the A050 shifters and be on my way. They're nice for keeping the shifting at the top of the bars.

    Quote Originally Posted by chandltp View Post
    There's no such thing as too far.. just lack of time
    RUSA #7498

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    3,931
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If all you want is a more aero position to tuck into occasionally, consider drop bar ends. Shifters and brakes stay where they are, drop bar ends bolt on like regular bar ends. A bit of bar tape and you're all set.

    Adding a couple of aero brake levers would be a modestly challenging task, probably involving some shimming.
    And do look into "travel agents". They allow regular road brake levers to be used together with v-brakes. Depending on where you do your shopping, it might be a cheaper course than buying v-brake compatible drop bar levers.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    England, currently dividing my time between university in Guildford and home just outside Reading
    My Bikes
    Too many to list here!
    Posts
    1,769
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dabac View Post
    And do look into "travel agents". They allow regular road brake levers to be used together with v-brakes. Depending on where you do your shopping, it might be a cheaper course than buying v-brake compatible drop bar levers.

    I somewhat doubt they'll be cheaper, when these v-brake levers are available for the same price as the Travel Agent.

  10. #10
    DRF aka Thrifty Bill wrk101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    The NC Mountains
    My Bikes
    Too many to list, all vintage
    Posts
    18,820
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PolarBear007 View Post

    Any suggestions on the following (less expensive is, at this stage, better!!!!);
    1) a drop-handle bar?
    2) bar-end shifters (and necessary cabling)?
    3) new brake calipers (and necessary cabling)?
    4) handle bar wrap?

    Again, thanks sooooo much!!!!
    The least expensive? Find a co-op, and look through their bins. I personally like the older friction Suntour barcons, they are readily available, and not too expensive. I have lucked into a few sets at very attractive prices (picked up one set at the LBS a couple of months ago for $5). They typically go on fleecebay for $30 to $50.

    Again, if you are anywhere near a co-op, start there first!

    Many of my parts come in the form of a complete bike, one that might have a trashed out frame, or some other defect, but with a really low price. I'll strip it and repurpose the parts, or just donate them to the co-op. Either way, they end up putting bikes back on the road.
    Last edited by wrk101; 03-14-14 at 07:08 PM.
    See some of my bikes on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/BillsVintageSteelBikes

    Or visit my finished bikes flickr page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/billssteelbikes/

  11. #11
    You gonna eat that? Doohickie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Fort Worth, Texas Church of Hopeful Uncertainty
    My Bikes
    1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS
    Posts
    13,796
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For the bar-end shifters, I recommend picking up a pair of Suntour Barcons. They are not indexed so they can be used with any derailleur/cassette setup. They have a ratcheting feature when you pull the cable to get a bit of overtravel for shifting, then settling down into a good spot. For relaxing the cable, they are pure friction. I've got them on two bikes and they work fine. You have to pick them up used; they haven't been made for years. I would check the Classic & Vintage For Sale listings and eBay. Expect to pay $30-60 for a pair of shifters.

    EBay listings.
    Last edited by Doohickie; 08-27-12 at 02:01 PM.
    I stop for people / whose right of way I honor / but not for no one.



    Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."

  12. #12
    Touring Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    My Bikes
    23" Schwinn High Plains, 20" Trek 830 Antelope
    Posts
    102
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So much great info!!! Thanks everyone. I'll be checking into these solutions and hopefully find something that i can manage for my old 'steelie' High Plains.
    I'm planning on de-branding my 23" Schwinn High Plains updating components and powder-coating the frame - metamorphosizing it into the ULTIMATE TOURING MACHINE!!!

  13. #13
    ukz
    ukz is offline
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    17
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you use the A050 shifters shifters?

    My shifters are shot and I need new ones. I also need new brake controllers. Did you replace your OEM ones or can anyone suggest replacements for a High Plains.

    I am building it into a touring bike.

  14. #14
    Touring Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    My Bikes
    23" Schwinn High Plains, 20" Trek 830 Antelope
    Posts
    102
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ukz View Post
    Did you use the A050 shifters shifters?

    My shifters are shot and I need new ones. I also need new brake controllers. Did you replace your OEM ones or can anyone suggest replacements for a High Plains.

    I am building it into a touring bike.
    I'm still running the original STI shifters. Well sort of..... I broke the plastic housing on one and a Forum Member here hooked me up with a replacement set. See my reply on your thread and I'll be sure to post more tomorrow.

    As you can see in my Signature, I'm also planning on metamorphosizing my High Plain into a touring bikes as well.
    I'm planning on de-branding my 23" Schwinn High Plains updating components and powder-coating the frame - metamorphosizing it into the ULTIMATE TOURING MACHINE!!!

  15. #15
    Mechanic/Tourist
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Syracuse, NY
    My Bikes
    2008 Novara Randonee - love it. Would have more bikes if I had time to ride them all. Previous bikes: 1968 Motobecane Mirage, 1972 Moto Grand Jubilee (my fav), Jackson Rake 16, 1983 C'dale ST500.
    Posts
    4,552
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ThermionicScott View Post
    I'll throw in another plug for the A050 shifters and be on my way. They're nice for keeping the shifting at the top of the bars.

    Wow - I'm not in favor of something that puts one's hands so far from the brakes at any point, especially if it encourages remaining there. It's the same problem as was present with stem shifters. There is no position that gives one less steering control and grip on the bars. I'd want to at least put them further out.
    There's no such thing as a routine repair.

    Don't tell me what "should" be - either it is, it isn't, or do something about it.

    Please take the time to post clearly so we can answer quickly. All lowercase and multiple typos makes for a hard read. Thanks!

  16. #16
    Senior Member Paramount1973's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    My Bikes
    Schwinn Continental, Schwinn Paramount, Schwinn High Plains, Schwinn World Sport, Trek 420, Trek 930, Giant Iguana.
    Posts
    713
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I put drop bars on my High Plains:

    P4170270 by galoot_loves_tools, on Flickr


    P4170263 by galoot_loves_tools, on Flickr

    More detail here:
    Show Your Vintage MTB Drop Bar Conversions

  17. #17
    Senior Member Homebrew01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Ffld Cnty Connecticut
    My Bikes
    Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales
    Posts
    14,426
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PolarBear007 View Post
    Thats an *awesome* thread - thanks leftthread!

    So, i'm seeing that if i'm committed to this conversion, then i'd better plan on;
    1) buying a drop-handle bar
    2) buying bar-end shifters (and necessary cabling)
    3) buying new brake calipers (and necessary cabling)
    4) some sweet handle bar wrap

    Is this it?

    Any suggestions on the following (less expensive is, at this stage, better!!!!);
    1) a drop-handle bar?
    2) bar-end shifters (and necessary cabling)?
    3) new brake calipers (and necessary cabling)?
    4) handle bar wrap?

    Again, thanks sooooo much!!!!
    You mean brake levers, not calipers.
    Bikes: Old steel race bikes, old Cannondale race bikes, less old Cannondale race bike, crappy old mtn bike

  18. #18
    ukz
    ukz is offline
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    17
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paramount1973 View Post
    I put drop bars on my High Plains:

    P4170270 by galoot_loves_tools, on Flickr


    P4170263 by galoot_loves_tools, on Flickr

    More detail here:
    Show Your Vintage MTB Drop Bar Conversions
    Amazing build!

    what exact stem and handlebars you are running. Also was the stem an exact fit to the HP fork?

  19. #19
    Senior Member Paramount1973's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    My Bikes
    Schwinn Continental, Schwinn Paramount, Schwinn High Plains, Schwinn World Sport, Trek 420, Trek 930, Giant Iguana.
    Posts
    713
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ukz View Post
    Amazing build!

    what exact stem and handlebars you are running. Also was the stem an exact fit to the HP fork?
    Handlebars are 42 cm Nitto randonneur bars. The stem is a Dimension 35 degree rise 90mm threadless stem on a Velo Orange quill-to-threadless stem converter. I got the handlebars for the incredible price of $5 at a bike swap. The bar end shifters are Suntour friction barcons.

  20. #20
    7-speed doomsday prepper ThermionicScott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    CID
    My Bikes
    1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX
    Posts
    7,556
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cny-bikeman View Post
    Wow - I'm not in favor of something that puts one's hands so far from the brakes at any point, especially if it encourages remaining there. It's the same problem as was present with stem shifters. There is no position that gives one less steering control and grip on the bars. I'd want to at least put them further out.
    Heh, that post was 1.5 years old. But I still feel just as strongly that people who ride bikes are capable of learning the skills they need in a short amount of time.

    We can't hold everyone's hands forever.
    Quote Originally Posted by chandltp View Post
    There's no such thing as too far.. just lack of time
    RUSA #7498

  21. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    43
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try something like this.

    Amazon.com: Origin 8 Bicycle Drop Bar Ends, Black: Sports & Outdoors

    They're not real drop bars but at least they look the part. I don't know how they feel in use though.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •