Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Can't get rear wheel off of La Jolla cruiser bike!!!

    Argghhh! I'm trying to replace the rear tube in my cheap Next La Jolla cruiser and it appears that after taking off the outer nuts, that the washers on the rear dropout are spot welded to the frame. The hub doesn't pop out.
    Is this possible? Has anyone seen anything like this?

  2. #2
    Morton Nagrom_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    East Bay
    My Bikes
    Kilo TT, CAAD10
    Posts
    9,702
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    whoa wtf?

    Pics?
    Quote Originally Posted by seau grateau View Post
    No offense but you're an idiot.
    PedalRoom

  3. #3
    Senior Member seau grateau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    LA
    My Bikes
    Shogun Selectra (geared), Affinity Lo Pro (fixed)
    Posts
    5,478
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you try hitting it?
    Quote Originally Posted by adriano View Post
    thanckx.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nagrom_ View Post
    "I made love to your mother dozens of times last week, and she doesnt know what a worn chain ring looks like"

  4. #4
    Goes to 11. striknein's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Wichita, KS, USA
    My Bikes
    2008 Redline Monocog 29er, 1986 Raleigh Technium 460
    Posts
    2,527
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Might just be that the paint was soft when the wheel was installed. Could also be an aluminum nut, and it galvanized to the steel axle. Could also be that the wheel was installed with such torque that you need a breaker bar to remove it. You might try getting a wrench on the cone nut and trying to apply a little leverage in the opposite direction, or just get a breaker bar.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nagrom_ View Post
    I actually just run calipers. Levers are for scrubs.

  5. #5
    THE STUFFED Leukybear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    My Bikes
    Sworks Venge; Kona Paddywagon; Ibis Mojo SL-R
    Posts
    10,268
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by striknein View Post
    Might just be that the paint was soft when the wheel was installed. Could also be an aluminum nut, and it galvanized to the steel axle. Could also be that the wheel was installed with such torque that you need a breaker bar to remove it. You might try getting a wrench on the cone nut and trying to apply a little leverage in the opposite direction, or just get a breaker bar.
    This^

    That's walmart for ya.
    There's a bunch of these hulks of rust around work.

  6. #6
    Sir Fallalot wroomwroomoops's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Helsinki, Finland
    Posts
    5,171
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by edogg View Post
    Argghhh! I'm trying to replace the rear tube in my cheap Next La Jolla cruiser and it appears that after taking off the outer nuts, that the washers on the rear dropout are spot welded to the frame. The hub doesn't pop out.
    Is this possible? Has anyone seen anything like this?
    Unlikely: I would wager that the washers are those slightly convex ones, that can bite really deeply into the frame (especially if it's aluminum alloy frame). You should be able to dislodge them with a lever of some kind.


    BTW, I feel that this sort of question should be posted in the Bicycle Mechanics subforum.

  7. #7
    Veteran Bastard Scrodzilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    24,147
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wroomwroomoops View Post
    I feel that this sort of question should be posted in the Bicycle Mechanics subforum.
    Agreed. Moving to mechanics.

  8. #8
    Senior Member DieselDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Beaufort, South Carolina, USA and surrounding islands.
    My Bikes
    Cannondale R500, Motobecane Messenger
    Posts
    8,522
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A nice wack with a hammer to force the axle out always works for me.
    Bikes use brakes to stop.

    If your bike has breaks, don't ride it.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    New Rochelle, NY
    My Bikes
    too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter
    Posts
    20,993
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The easiest way to dislodge the wheel so it slides out is to loosen the nuts, and push or tap it (hard) with your hands at the front between the chainstays. That rarely fails to jar it loose, and once free it'll slide out if pushed from the back.
    FB
    Chain-L site

    An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

    “Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin

    “One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

    WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

  10. #10
    Senior Member loubapache's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Western MI
    My Bikes
    2012 Trek T900; 2008 Iron Horse Commuter; 2000 Specialized Stumpjumper M2 Pro; 1992 Trek 520 Tour; 1981 Fuji Grand Tour SE; 1980 Huffy Bay Pointe 3-speed; 1973 Raleigh LTD-3; 1965 Robin Hood; 1956 Robin Hood
    Posts
    221
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These washers might be tanged. There is a little piece sticking out to catch a notch on the dropout so it does not move around.

    Also, if it has coaster brakes, then you also need to removed that screw/nut on the chain stay.

  11. #11
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone for the help. I did end up getting it off, finally, thanks for the hammer advice. I think the biting washer bit a little hard and caused some rust then it was covered in grease, which made it look like a weld covered in black paint (to match the bike). I was boggled for a bit...but nothing like hitting it hard to solve the problem and a little bit of scratching the sticky area with a flathead screwdriver. Thanks again.

  12. #12
    Sir Fallalot wroomwroomoops's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Helsinki, Finland
    Posts
    5,171
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by edogg View Post
    Thanks everyone for the help. I did end up getting it off, finally, thanks for the hammer advice. I think the biting washer bit a little hard and caused some rust then it was covered in grease, which made it look like a weld covered in black paint (to match the bike). I was boggled for a bit...but nothing like hitting it hard to solve the problem and a little bit of scratching the sticky area with a flathead screwdriver. Thanks again.
    I love those convex washers with serrated edge. Absolute best thing to keep your wheel from slipping in horizontal or track dropouts in the most extreme conditions. But I don't dislodge them by hitting the axle - I pry them away with a screwdriver or other lever, to avoid damaging the pain on the frame.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •