Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 24 of 24
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    20
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Help with '87 Cannondale SR500

    So i orderered a set of wheels from neuvations, can you guys help me out and tell if i have a cassette or a freewheel? the components are Shimano 105 and RSX rear hug, but i think its mounted on a cassette.
    FW.jpg
    if it is on a cassette, would i be able to mount the M28 wheel on there? with a shimano 7 speed Freewheel?
    my levers only have 6 speeds, which is ok, i just wont use the final gear.

  2. #2
    Senior Member demoncyclist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Medway, MA
    My Bikes
    2011 Lynskey Sportive, 1988 Cannondale SM400
    Posts
    2,436
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    6 speed would be a freewheel. You will need to measure the space between the dropouts to see what will fit- Aluminum is not going to flex like steel will, so you may not be able to fit a modern 130mm wheel in there.
    DEMON

    Satanic Mechanic
    STAR 3 Spinning Instructor

    2011 Lynskey Sportive (Shimano Ultegra 10s)
    1988 Cannondale SM400 (Suntour XC-M 7s)

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    20
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by demoncyclist View Post
    6 speed would be a freewheel. You will need to measure the space between the dropouts to see what will fit- Aluminum is not going to flex like steel will, so you may not be able to fit a modern 130mm wheel in there.
    -

    I actually posted a pic there.... it looks like a Cassette cog for sure to me

  4. #4
    7-speed doomsday prepper ThermionicScott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    CID
    My Bikes
    1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX
    Posts
    7,731
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a cassette hub for sure -- notice the "hump" and bulge on the left 1/3 of the hub body, and the "FH" (freehub) part number.

    Assuming you can get the wheel into your frame (hopefully the wheel is 126mm spaced), you'll need to use friction mode on your rear shifter, as the cog spacing is different between standard 6-speed and 7-speed.
    Quote Originally Posted by chandltp View Post
    There's no such thing as too far.. just lack of time
    RUSA #7498

  5. #5
    certified vegetarian veggie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    344
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have actually seen and heard of plenty of people putting 130mm hubs in 126mm dropouts. It is only 4mm. I don't know if I would do it myself, but its been done

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    20
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    my current cassette is actaully 7 speed, but the shifters are only 6 speed 105s.... I am excited...

  7. #7
    Senior Member Homebrew01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Ffld Cnty Connecticut
    My Bikes
    Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales
    Posts
    15,271
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    What type of wheel did you order ? Perhaps you can run more gear (8, 9 ...) and use your shifters in friction mode instead of index so you can use all the gears.
    Bikes: Old steel race bikes, old Cannondale race bikes, less old Cannondale race bike, crappy old mtn bike

  8. #8
    7-speed doomsday prepper ThermionicScott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    CID
    My Bikes
    1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX
    Posts
    7,731
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HeadPres View Post
    my current cassette is actaully 7 speed, but the shifters are only 6 speed 105s.... I am excited...
    This is confusing -- are you already using a 7-speed wheel? If so, you must already be running in friction mode, or else I don't think it would shift to every gear correctly.
    Quote Originally Posted by chandltp View Post
    There's no such thing as too far.. just lack of time
    RUSA #7498

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    20
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought the bike used, and always assumed it was FreeWheel.... and than this weekend i counted the amount of rings and noticed it was 7.
    Got me thinking, i guess the guy before modified it.... and it looks like its a 7 speed cassette that sits on a 6 speed derailer... so the 7th gear isnt used at all.... would that cause friction mode?

  10. #10
    Senior Member JTGraphics's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    2,442
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd get a Cassette hub and upgrade it slightly and that wheel someone put it on I don't think its original what year SR500 is this?
    I have one and put 10 speed hub on it no problem.
    It may not be fancy but it gets me were I need to go.
    http://www.jtgraphics.net/cyclist_bicycles.htm

  11. #11
    7-speed doomsday prepper ThermionicScott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    CID
    My Bikes
    1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX
    Posts
    7,731
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you have to "find" each gear with the lever, or does it click from one to the next? The former is "friction shifting", the latter is "indexed shifting". With friction shifting, there's no reason your bike couldn't be set up to use all 7 gears.
    Quote Originally Posted by chandltp View Post
    There's no such thing as too far.. just lack of time
    RUSA #7498

  12. #12
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    20
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JTGraphics View Post
    I'd get a Cassette hub and upgrade it slightly and that wheel someone put it on I don't think its original what year SR500 is this?
    I have one and put 10 speed hub on it no problem.
    Hey buddy,yee its 1987 SR500
    the wheels on it where Mavic CXP10..... which worked nice for a few years... but i want to upgrade to Neuvations

  13. #13
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    20
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JTGraphics View Post
    I'd get a Cassette hub and upgrade it slightly and that wheel someone put it on I don't think its original what year SR500 is this?
    I have one and put 10 speed hub on it no problem.
    Hi, it actaully clicks when i switch...
    but i dont care if the bike is 6 or 10.... 6x2 is good enough for me actually...

  14. #14
    Senior Member JTGraphics's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    2,442
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HeadPres View Post
    I bought the bike used, and always assumed it was FreeWheel.... and than this weekend i counted the amount of rings and noticed it was 7.
    Got me thinking, i guess the guy before modified it.... and it looks like its a 7 speed cassette that sits on a 6 speed derailer... so the 7th gear isnt used at all.... would that cause friction mode?
    The RD has nothing to do with the cassette as far as the amount of gears it will use that controlled by the levers it the limit screws are set for the 7 speed and the levers will travel the distance needed it will work.
    And I'd guess that the original down tube levers will travel that distance but I could be wrong have you tied seeing if it will yourself? you need to check limit screws on RD to make sure thats not whats stopping it.
    6,7,8 spacing is all the same so index levers will work the limiting factor is the amount of clicks the levers have. 9 and 10 even 11 are indexing specific for each they can not be mixed
    It may not be fancy but it gets me were I need to go.
    http://www.jtgraphics.net/cyclist_bicycles.htm

  15. #15
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    20
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JTGraphics View Post
    The RD has nothing to do with the cassette as far as the amount of gears it will use that controlled by the levers it the limit screws are set for the 7 speed and the levers will travel the distance needed it will work.
    And I'd guess that the original down tube levers will travel that distance but I could be wrong have you tied seeing if it will yourself? you need to check limit screws on RD to make sure thats not whats stopping it.
    6,7,8 spacing is all the same so index levers will work the limiting factor is the amount of clicks the levers have. 9 and 10 even 11 are indexing specific for each they can not be mixed
    LOL - i think we are going too far with this....

    This is my bike....


    and i guess the guy put a 7 speed cassette on it....

    will this wheel
    http://www.neuvationcycling.com/prod...model-1240.htm
    fit with this cassette?
    http://www.loosescrews.com/Products/...-21-24-28.html
    anyone know?

  16. #16
    certified vegetarian veggie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    344
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With a spacer, yes. 130mm wheels are make for ≥8 sped cassettes but will fit a 7 speed with a cassette spacer to take up the extra space.
    Last edited by veggie; 09-12-12 at 04:17 PM.

  17. #17
    Senior Member JTGraphics's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    2,442
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HeadPres View Post
    LOL - i think we are going too far with this....

    This is my bike....


    and i guess the guy put a 7 speed cassette on it....

    will this wheel
    http://www.neuvationcycling.com/prod...model-1240.htm
    fit with this cassette?
    http://www.loosescrews.com/Products/...-21-24-28.html
    anyone know?
    I have the same year mine is the model with Shimano 105 in that catalog it was given to me risen about 100 miles and then sat for years.
    It may not be fancy but it gets me were I need to go.
    http://www.jtgraphics.net/cyclist_bicycles.htm

  18. #18
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    20
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JTGraphics View Post
    I have the same year mine is the model with Shimano 105 in that catalog it was given to me risen about 100 miles and then sat for years.
    Hey JT I saw your mods there... yes same bike but in the Bianchi type green color.... we have the same bike woth SR500 with 105... mine is 105 as well. I love the thing, and would love to get some nice wheels on it.
    But i also love having shifters on down-tube.... makes for easy handlebar swaps... from Bulls to Drops...

  19. #19
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    20
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JTGraphics View Post
    I have the same year mine is the model with Shimano 105 in that catalog it was given to me risen about 100 miles and then sat for years.
    So all those fancy wheels fit the rear drops/forks without you having to spread them? you installed the wheels with 10 speed cassetes without any issues?

  20. #20
    certified vegetarian veggie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    344
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Down tube shifters are still currently made, so there is no need to change to brifters if you decide to go to 10 speed.

    Quote Originally Posted by HeadPres View Post
    So all those fancy wheels fit the rear drops/forks without you having to spread them? you installed the wheels with 10 speed cassetes without any issues?
    Only 4mm of spreading.

  21. #21
    Senior Member JTGraphics's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    2,442
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HeadPres View Post
    So all those fancy wheels fit the rear drops/forks without you having to spread them? you installed the wheels with 10 speed cassetes without any issues?
    Yes the wheel was only 2mm wider when I put wheel in I'd push slightly with my thumb and it would move enough to get wheel in not problem.
    You could also adjust the it slightly by removing the washer between the lock nuts that about 1mm that can be gained if needed.
    It all worked out nicely for me.
    It may not be fancy but it gets me were I need to go.
    http://www.jtgraphics.net/cyclist_bicycles.htm

  22. #22
    7-speed doomsday prepper ThermionicScott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    CID
    My Bikes
    1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX
    Posts
    7,731
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just have the new 7-speed wheel built with 126mm spacing (what your bike originally was) and then you won't have to bend anything -- they can do it and don't take "no" for an answer.
    Quote Originally Posted by chandltp View Post
    There's no such thing as too far.. just lack of time
    RUSA #7498

  23. #23
    Senior Member Homebrew01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Ffld Cnty Connecticut
    My Bikes
    Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales
    Posts
    15,271
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ThermionicScott View Post
    Just have the new 7-speed wheel built with 126mm spacing (what your bike originally was) and then you won't have to bend anything -- they can do it and don't take "no" for an answer.
    There may not be enough room to fit a 7 speed cassette in 126. That was the point of going to 130. I have put 130mm wheels in 2 of my old Cannondales without problem.
    Bikes: Old steel race bikes, old Cannondale race bikes, less old Cannondale race bike, crappy old mtn bike

  24. #24
    Insane Bicycle Mechanic Jeff Wills's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    other Vancouver
    Posts
    6,667
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Homebrew01 View Post
    There may not be enough room to fit a 7 speed cassette in 126. That was the point of going to 130. I have put 130mm wheels in 2 of my old Cannondales without problem.
    Incorrect. Most "7-speed" wheels were 126mm over-locknut width. 130mm showed up when 8-speed was introduced, and has been the road bike standard since.
    Jeff Wills

    All my bikes.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •