Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    Senior Member Fangowolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Houston
    My Bikes
    2012 Surly LHT / Motobecane Fhantom CX 105 / Giant Cypress ST / EZ Sport AX / Trisled Touring Trike
    Posts
    420
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Reading Material

    What would you tell a person to read (magz, books, web) if they want to know more about the differences in parts?

    Things like how to find durable wheels, trade offs between different shifters, name of the old style brake lever that let you brake when your not in the drop, electronic goodies etc.
    Last edited by Fangowolf; 09-27-12 at 10:28 AM.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    2,832
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have them look up "brake lever" rather than "break lever" for starts.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Spokane, WA
    My Bikes
    Specialized Sequoia Elite/Motobecane Fantom Cross Team Ti/'85 Trek 520
    Posts
    2,243
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

  4. #4
    Bianchi Goddess Bianchigirll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Camp Hill, PA
    My Bikes
    Too many to list here check my signature.
    Posts
    20,483
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If they want to know more than you ever wanted to know about derailleurs "The Dancing Chain" may be a good place to start.
    Bianchis '87 Sport SX, '90 Proto (2), '91 Boarala 'cross, '93 Project 3, '88 Trofeo SOLd, '86 Volpe, '89 Axis SOLD, '79 Mixte SOLD, '99 Mega Pro XL Ti SOLD, '97 Ti Megatube, , '90 something Vento 603,

    Others but still loved,; '80 RIGI, '80 Batavus Professional, '87 Cornelo, '86 Bertoni (sold), '09 Motobecane SS, '98 Hetchins M.O., '09 K2 Mainframe SOLD, '89 Trek 2000, '?? Jane Doe (still on the drawing board), '90ish Haro Escape

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    New Rochelle, NY
    My Bikes
    too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter
    Posts
    22,009
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Not meaning to talk down to you here, but let's be real. Here we are in the age of the internet, and if someone can't do a basic search for something like bicycle magazines, or specific bike parts, or bicycle maintenance, there's no point in asking people to give them a bibliography listing stuff they're not going to read anyway.

    If you or a friend are truly interested, you can use some initiative, and do some basic research for yourself.

    Afterward, if you have specific questions, feel free to come back here for help, but it doesn't make sense to ask others to do what you can for yourself.
    FB
    Chain-L site

    An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

    “Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin

    “One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

    WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Fangowolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Houston
    My Bikes
    2012 Surly LHT / Motobecane Fhantom CX 105 / Giant Cypress ST / EZ Sport AX / Trisled Touring Trike
    Posts
    420
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dsbrantjr View Post
    Have them look up "brake lever" rather than "break lever" for starts.
    Fixed thank you sooooo much for your help

  7. #7
    Senior Member Fangowolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Houston
    My Bikes
    2012 Surly LHT / Motobecane Fhantom CX 105 / Giant Cypress ST / EZ Sport AX / Trisled Touring Trike
    Posts
    420
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FBinNY View Post
    Not meaning to talk down to you here, but let's be real. Here we are in the age of the internet, and if someone can't do a basic search for something like bicycle magazines, or specific bike parts, or bicycle maintenance, there's no point in asking people to give them a bibliography listing stuff they're not going to read anyway.

    If you or a friend are truly interested, you can use some initiative, and do some basic research for yourself.

    Afterward, if you have specific questions, feel free to come back here for help, but it doesn't make sense to ask others to do what you can for yourself.

    Sorry I probably wasn't clear my problem is I have the specs for these parts, but it isn't telling me the difference. Is it mostly just weight and durablity? Like looking at specs for a tiagra vs sorento. I'll read further I thought perhaps there was something going over how to interpret them.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    New Rochelle, NY
    My Bikes
    too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter
    Posts
    22,009
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fangowolf View Post
    Sorry I probably wasn't clear my problem is I have the specs for these parts, but it isn't telling me the difference. Is it mostly just weight and durablity? Like looking at specs for a tiagra vs sorento. I'll read further I thought perhaps there was something going over how to interpret them.
    That's a better question.

    I'm not familiar enough with both these groups to give you a definitive answer on the differences, but generally more money gets you better components early on. After you reach mid-level stuff more money gets you lighter weight.

    You also asked about dual position braking. Your best bet in this regard are separate in-line brake levers. The cable is routed from the main brake lever or shift/brake lever, under the tape to a second in-line at lever the top of the bar, then on to the brake. This gives you 2 quality working levers either of which can effectively stop the bike. Here's more info about these from one source. A quick search will bring up more links.

    Years ago there were brake levers with extensions for braking from the tops, but the extensions were so flexible that stopping the bike from the top position was problematic. I don't know if anybody has resurrected this concept recently, but even so, it would still have the same problems.
    FB
    Chain-L site

    An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

    “Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin

    “One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

    WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Fangowolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Houston
    My Bikes
    2012 Surly LHT / Motobecane Fhantom CX 105 / Giant Cypress ST / EZ Sport AX / Trisled Touring Trike
    Posts
    420
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks that narrows down which numbers to compare. Yes, I had that old brake extentions that both went to the same cable. I did have to adjust the tension fairly frequently. I was wonderig why they went out of favor.

  10. #10
    Senior Member rekmeyata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    5,806
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FBinNY View Post
    Not meaning to talk down to you here, but let's be real. Here we are in the age of the internet, and if someone can't do a basic search for something like bicycle magazines, or specific bike parts, or bicycle maintenance, there's no point in asking people to give them a bibliography listing stuff they're not going to read anyway.

    If you or a friend are truly interested, you can use some initiative, and do some basic research for yourself.

    Afterward, if you have specific questions, feel free to come back here for help, but it doesn't make sense to ask others to do what you can for yourself.
    Great, now I gave you my illness of abrasiveness I caught today. We're both in the schiter around here now!!

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    New Rochelle, NY
    My Bikes
    too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter
    Posts
    22,009
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rekmeyata View Post
    Great, now I gave you my illness of abrasiveness I caught today. We're both in the schiter around here now!!
    Nah! I've always been abrasive. (see the last line below my signature).
    I just try to hide it with silk gloves.

    Anyway, my post elicited his real question and I was able to post a helpful response later.

    BTW- it might be a generational thing. I grew up in the era that when you asked a question you were told where the library was.
    FB
    Chain-L site

    An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

    “Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin

    “One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

    WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

  12. #12
    Mechanic/Tourist
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Syracuse, NY
    My Bikes
    2008 Novara Randonee - love it. Would have more bikes if I had time to ride them all. Previous bikes: 1968 Motobecane Mirage, 1972 Moto Grand Jubilee (my fav), Jackson Rake 16, 1983 C'dale ST500.
    Posts
    5,303
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FBinNY View Post
    I grew up in the era that when you asked a question you were told where the library was.
    ...rather than in the current younger generation, some of whom expect their question to be magically understood and answered in spite of poor spelling, grammar, terminology and a general lack of context.

    I actually think some ask questions in the BF that they could easily have answered for themselves with a Google search because they think there's a simple answer if someone knows enough - when it's actually the opposite. If you know enough there are few simple answers; if you don't there are lots of them - mostly wrong.
    There's no such thing as a routine repair.

    Don't tell me what "should" be - either it is, it isn't, or do something about it.

    If you think I'm being blunt take it as a compliment - if I thought you were too weak to handle the truth or a strong opinion I would not bother.

    Please take the time to post clearly so we can answer quickly. All lowercase and multiple typos makes for a hard read. Thanks!

  13. #13
    Can'tre Member 3alarmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    ,location, location...
    My Bikes
    old ones
    Posts
    9,645
    Mentioned
    176 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rekmeyata View Post
    Great, now I gave you my illness of abrasiveness I caught today. We're both in the schiter around here now!!
    Quote Originally Posted by FBinNY View Post
    Nah! I've always been abrasive. (see the last line below my signature).

    BTW- it might be a generational thing. I grew up in the era that when you asked a question you were told where the library was.
    Quote Originally Posted by cny-bikeman View Post
    ...rather than in the current younger generation, some of whom expect their question to be magically understood
    and answered in spite of poor spelling, grammar, terminology and a general lack of context.

    I actually think some ask questions in the BF that they could easily have answered for themselves with a Google search because they think there's a simple answer if someone knows enough - when it's actually the opposite. If you know enough there are few simple answers; if you don't there are lots of them - mostly wrong.
    I sure wish you guys and Mr Bunny could be as sweet as I am on here..................

    Must be a generational thing................................you crabby guys are all old.
    Quote Originally Posted by Terrierman View Post
    No wonder everybody hates you.

  14. #14
    Senior Member rekmeyata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    5,806
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 3alarmer View Post
    I sure wish you guys and Mr Bunny could be as sweet as I am on here..................

    Must be a generational thing................................you crabby guys are all old.
    When you're young you need to act all "sweet" so you can get the girls and get promotions at work, when your old you ain't going to get either so you might as well be yourself and have fun being a crab you were mean't to be.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    New Rochelle, NY
    My Bikes
    too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter
    Posts
    22,009
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rekmeyata View Post
    When you're young you need to act all "sweet" so you can get the girls and get promotions at work, when your old you ain't going to get either so you might as well be yourself and have fun being a crab you were mean't to be.
    There's that, plus I've always felt that we're all born with a finite amount of patience, and people wear it away over time.

    I've found that when you get slightly crabby people call you a crab (or worse). But if you become thoroughly crabby, and can do so with some flair, then they say you're eccentric, which is an improvement.
    FB
    Chain-L site

    An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

    “Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin

    “One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

    WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

  16. #16
    Can'tre Member 3alarmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    ,location, location...
    My Bikes
    old ones
    Posts
    9,645
    Mentioned
    176 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FBinNY View Post
    There's that, plus I've always felt that we're all born with a finite amount of patience, and people wear it away over time.

    I've found that when you get slightly crabby people call you a crab (or worse). But if you become thoroughly crabby, and can do so with some flair, then they say you're eccentric, which is an improvement.
    Curmudgeonly...........................................sounds kind of elegant, does it not ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Terrierman View Post
    No wonder everybody hates you.

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    England, currently dividing my time between university in Guildford and home just outside Reading
    My Bikes
    Too many to list here!
    Posts
    1,896
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You know it's a slow day on Bikeforums when they all start discussing how curmudgeonly they've become, and why...
    Last edited by Airburst; 09-27-12 at 06:53 PM. Reason: typo

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •