Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-30-12, 12:50 PM   #1
teachme
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
teachme's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Nederland, Texas
Bikes: 2011 Specialized Sectuer, 1988 Bianchi
Posts: 1,441
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What is 700cc a measurement of in a wheel set?

I teach 5th grade math and we did an activity on the circumference of a circle using the front wheel off my Specialized Sectuer as a manipulative. We measured the circumferance of the tire on the wheel and it measured out to be approximately 84 inches which converts to approximately 213.5cm. So, what does the 700cc stand for?

Thanks,
Bert
teachme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-12, 01:09 PM   #2
LarDasse74
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Grid Reference, SK
Bikes: I never learned to ride a bike. It is my deepest shame.
Posts: 3,769
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
THe wheel size is '700C' not cc... cc is a unit of volume: cubic centimeter. (edit 1) Hopefully you already know that, being a math teacher

700C today refers to a rim with a bead seat diameter (BSD) of 622mm. Many years ago there were 700A, 700B, 700C and 700D wheels. Each had a different size rim and tire set that resulted in a nominal diameter of 700mm. Modern 700C wheels are used with tires from 18mm (super narrow racing tires) to ~75mm wide (wide '29er' mtb tires which also use 700C rims) so there is great variation in the diameter. But the rim size remains the same.

(edit 2) 700A, B, and D are obsolete. GT made a few hybrid/cruiser bikes a while back with 700D wheels, and if you have one of those today and the tires wear out you basically need to buy a new bike. Other wheel sizes that used a similar system are 650B (medium width tires used on old dirt path and 'camping bikes, I think, as well as many modern mtbs) and 650C (small racing wheels used for an aerodynamic advantage in time trials and triathlons)

(edit 3) Read this: http://sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html

Last edited by LarDasse74; 10-30-12 at 01:15 PM.
LarDasse74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-12, 01:10 PM   #3
TampaRaleigh
Senior Member
 
TampaRaleigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Tampa, FL
Bikes: 1986 Raleigh Competition (Restored to Original), 1986 Cannonade SR400 (Updated to Dura Ace 7800)
Posts: 1,941
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
700 mm is the (approximate) outer diameter of the rim WITH a tire mounted. The "c" was an old designation for a tire/rim type. There WERE "700a", "700b", etc... but those are long gone.

(It's 700c, not 700cc)

LarDasse beat me to it, and his explanation is much better.
TampaRaleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-12, 01:11 PM   #4
Andrew R Stewart 
Andrew R Stewart
 
Andrew R Stewart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Rochester, NY
Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Raleigh Pro, Trek Cycle Cross, Mongoose tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder
Posts: 7,244
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Think of tire "sizes" as labels. It's kind of like clothing sizes. The labeled size is kind of but not really the measured size. Andy.
Andrew R Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-12, 01:30 PM   #5
Doohickie 
You gonna eat that?
 
Doohickie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Fort Worth, Texas Church of Hopeful Uncertainty
Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS
Posts: 14,460
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by teachme View Post
I teach 5th grade math and we did an activity on the circumference of a circle using the front wheel off my Specialized Sectuer as a manipulative. We measured the circumferance of the tire on the wheel and it measured out to be approximately 84 inches which converts to approximately 213.5cm. So, what does the 700cc stand for?

Thanks,
Bert
Divide 2135 by 700. What do you get? (It's off a bit, but it should be pi; 700 refers to the nominal tire diameter at the tread. Kind of. Tire sizes are very weird.)
__________________
I stop for people / whose right of way I honor / but not for no one.



Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Doohickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-12, 01:32 PM   #6
Doohickie 
You gonna eat that?
 
Doohickie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Fort Worth, Texas Church of Hopeful Uncertainty
Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS
Posts: 14,460
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarDasse74 View Post
700A, B, and D are obsolete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaRaleigh View Post
There WERE "700a", "700b", etc... but those are long gone.
Not quite. 700B is still used on rod-brake roadsters such as Flying Pigeons. They certainly are not common anymore.
__________________
I stop for people / whose right of way I honor / but not for no one.



Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Doohickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-12, 01:41 PM   #7
LarDasse74
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Grid Reference, SK
Bikes: I never learned to ride a bike. It is my deepest shame.
Posts: 3,769
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doohickie View Post
Divide 2135 by 700. What do you get? (It's off a bit, but it should be pi; 700 refers to the nominal tire diameter at the tread. Kind of. Tire sizes are very weird.)
Good thought! By doing this we can see the actual diameter of the OPs wheel is ~680 mm, which, if we assume the tires have a round cross-section with the bottom approxiately at the bead seat, we know the OP has tires that are (680-622)/2 = ~29 mm... Do you, by chance have 700 X 28C tires on your bike, sir????
LarDasse74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-12, 01:48 PM   #8
teachme
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
teachme's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Nederland, Texas
Bikes: 2011 Specialized Sectuer, 1988 Bianchi
Posts: 1,441
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doohickie View Post
Divide 2135 by 700. What do you get? (It's off a bit, but it should be pi; 700 refers to the nominal tire diameter at the tread. Kind of. Tire sizes are very weird.)
I see... The 700 is just a label representing one unit of approx. pi. ??
teachme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-12, 01:52 PM   #9
teachme
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
teachme's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Nederland, Texas
Bikes: 2011 Specialized Sectuer, 1988 Bianchi
Posts: 1,441
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarDasse74 View Post
THe wheel size is '700C' not cc... cc is a unit of volume: cubic centimeter. (edit 1) Hopefully you already know that, being a math teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarDasse74 View Post
700C today refers to a rim with a bead seat diameter (BSD) of 622mm. Many years ago there were 700A, 700B, 700C and 700D wheels. Each had a different size rim and tire set that resulted in a nominal diameter of 700mm. Modern 700C wheels are used with tires from 18mm (super narrow racing tires) to ~75mm wide (wide '29er' mtb tires which also use 700C rims) so there is great variation in the diameter. But the rim size remains the same.

(edit 2) 700A, B, and D are obsolete. GT made a few hybrid/cruiser bikes a while back with 700D wheels, and if you have one of those today and the tires wear out you basically need to buy a new bike. Other wheel sizes that used a similar system are 650B (medium width tires used on old dirt path and 'camping bikes, I think, as well as many modern mtbs) and 650C (small racing wheels used for an aerodynamic advantage in time trials and triathlons)

(edit 3) Read this: http://sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html
Yeah, I didn't mean to typ cc, but was confused if the "c" meant centimeter. So the "c" is a label not a unit of measure?
teachme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-12, 01:53 PM   #10
LarDasse74
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Grid Reference, SK
Bikes: I never learned to ride a bike. It is my deepest shame.
Posts: 3,769
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by teachme View Post
I see... The 700 is just a label representing one unit of approx. pi. ??
Not sure what you mean.

700mm is the nominal diameter of the wheel with a medium width tire (~35 mm).
LarDasse74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-12, 01:54 PM   #11
LarDasse74
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Grid Reference, SK
Bikes: I never learned to ride a bike. It is my deepest shame.
Posts: 3,769
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Yeah, I didn't mean to typ cc, but was confused if the "c" meant centimeter. So the "c" is a label not a unit of measure?
Correct. 'C' is just the name. 700 cm is ~23 feet.
LarDasse74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-12, 01:59 PM   #12
teachme
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
teachme's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Nederland, Texas
Bikes: 2011 Specialized Sectuer, 1988 Bianchi
Posts: 1,441
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarDasse74 View Post
Not sure what you mean.

700mm is the nominal diameter of the wheel with a medium width tire (~35 mm).
Is that where the 700 comes from? The measure of diameter in millimeters?
teachme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-12, 02:17 PM   #13
Rootman
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: NW Arkansas, USA
Bikes: 2012 Giant Sedona Hybrid
Posts: 872
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by teachme View Post
Is that where the 700 comes from? The measure of diameter in millimeters?
Yes, millimeters, the C is just a designator of the rim width, as already pointed out there used to other widths named A, B, and D with A being narrowest and D the widest, C was the most commonly used so they just went with C's as the standard 700 mm rim, discontinuing the others for the most part. They are also called 29 inch rims : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/29er_%28bicycle%29
Rootman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-12, 02:19 PM   #14
jim hughes
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 461
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I might be wrong from a historical perspective, but I don't think the number 700 has any specific meaning today -700c just identifies a standard.
jim hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-12, 02:20 PM   #15
Flying Merkel
Senior Member
 
Flying Merkel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Costa Mesa CA
Bikes:
Posts: 2,639
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart View Post
Think of tire "sizes" as labels. It's kind of like clothing sizes. The labeled size is kind of but not really the measured size. Andy.

I have had 4 bikes with 26" inch rims that were all different diameters. Like to drive me shugbit
Flying Merkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-12, 02:20 PM   #16
Doohickie 
You gonna eat that?
 
Doohickie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Fort Worth, Texas Church of Hopeful Uncertainty
Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS
Posts: 14,460
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Using bicycle tires to try to show how things are measured is kind of like wading into the deep end. There is a lot to bicycle tire sizing that is not really obvious.
__________________
I stop for people / whose right of way I honor / but not for no one.



Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Doohickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-12, 02:22 PM   #17
LarDasse74
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Grid Reference, SK
Bikes: I never learned to ride a bike. It is my deepest shame.
Posts: 3,769
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rootman View Post
Yes, millimeters, the C is just a designator of the rim width, as already pointed out there used to other widths named A, B, and D with A being narrowest and D the widest, C was the most commonly used so they just went with C's as the standard 700 mm rim, discontinuing the others for the most part. They are also called 29 inch rims : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/29er_%28bicycle%29
Actually, it is the diameters of A, B, C, and D rims are all different, not necessarily the widths. The different sizes were meant for use with tires that were different widths (and also heights) so that each size would result in a wheel diameter of approximately 700 mm.
LarDasse74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-12, 02:41 PM   #18
fietsbob 
coprolite
 
fietsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Bikes: 7
Posts: 22,205
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
cc is a measure of Volume not length. Cubic Centimeters.

[Don't they consider the metric system, subversive, in Texas?]

The numbers that count are a agreement between Tire/tyre and Rim Manufacturers.
They use a tire-bead seat diameter.. for 700C it's 622mm.
so look at tire sidewalls 622-32 is size & width.. Metric .

nearest fractional size 27 x 1.25" is (approximate), a 630-32.. not same..
The ETRO numbers are on the sidewall ..

circumference changes with tire width. of course..

Last edited by fietsbob; 10-30-12 at 02:49 PM.
fietsbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-12, 03:10 PM   #19
JohnDThompson 
Old fart
 
JohnDThompson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Appleton WI
Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.
Posts: 16,789
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart View Post
Think of tire "sizes" as labels. It's kind of like clothing sizes. The labeled size is kind of but not really the measured size. Andy.
^^^^^
This.

If you want the "real" size, look for the ETRTO designation
JohnDThompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-12, 03:48 PM   #20
wheelreason
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 519
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by teachme View Post
I see... The 700 is just a label representing one unit of approx. pi. ??
Step away from the students,....SECURITY!....I'm ordering a Mandarin Rosetta Stone immediately...
wheelreason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-12, 04:18 PM   #21
ThermionicScott 
Gratuitous glib and snark
 
ThermionicScott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: CID
Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers)
Posts: 14,108
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim hughes View Post
I might be wrong from a historical perspective, but I don't think the number 700 has any specific meaning today -700c just identifies a standard.
Well, if you mount up some 39mm tires it will mean something.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by chandltp View Post
There's no such thing as too far.. just lack of time
RUSA #7498
ThermionicScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-12, 04:45 PM   #22
FastJake
Constant tinkerer
 
FastJake's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Madison, Wisconsin
Bikes:
Posts: 7,577
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by teachme View Post
I see... The 700 is just a label representing one unit of approx. pi. ??
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelreason View Post
Step away from the students,....SECURITY!....I'm ordering a Mandarin Rosetta Stone immediately...
I'm still wondering what "one unit of (approximately) pi" is...
FastJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-12, 06:15 PM   #23
AlphaDogg
I let the dogs out
 
AlphaDogg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Boulder, CO
Bikes: 2011 Fuji Roubaix 1.0, 2003 Ti Merlin Solis, & 1994 Raleigh MT200
Posts: 1,934
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastJake View Post
I'm still wondering what "one unit of (approximately) pi" is...
I think he meant like in a unit circle... But in the case of a 700c wheel, instead of the unit being 1, the unit is 700.
AlphaDogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-12, 07:37 PM   #24
NJgreyhead
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: South Jersey near PHL
Bikes:
Posts: 296
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastJake View Post
I'm still wondering what "one unit of (approximately) pi" is...
I think it is one slice (approximately).
mmmmm, pi.
NJgreyhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-12, 07:58 PM   #25
teachme
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
teachme's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Nederland, Texas
Bikes: 2011 Specialized Sectuer, 1988 Bianchi
Posts: 1,441
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastJake View Post
I'm still wondering what "one unit of (approximately) pi" is...
When a circle's diameter is 1 unit, its circumference is pi units.

Last edited by teachme; 10-30-12 at 08:04 PM.
teachme is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:42 PM.