Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    San Antonio, Tx
    Posts
    11
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    105 Brifters and Shimano MTB Rear Derailers

    Happy Thanksgiving to all.
    Can current Shimano 105 brifters (ST-5700) operate current Shimano MTB rear derailers (I would like 34-36 teeth capability)? Is it likely my LBS can set this up?

    Can current Shimano 105 brifters (10speed) operate 9 speed Shimano MTB rear derailers? Is it likely my LBS can set this up?

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Senior Member cyclist2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Up
    My Bikes
    Masi (retired), Giant TCR, Eisentraut, Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo (trainer bike), Cannondale, Stumpjumper, Waterford(N+1), Tern D8 (N+1)
    Posts
    2,793
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought that you would use a 9 speed mtb derailluer with the 10 speed 105 shifters. I am using a the ST-5603 with a 9 speed mtb derailuer on my touring bike.
    I don't do vintage, I bought them new, rode them, kept them. Now they are just old bikes
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/bustercrb/sets/72157623483647522/

  3. #3
    Retro Grouch onespeedbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Santa Cruz
    My Bikes
    Yes
    Posts
    2,075
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrSparkles View Post
    Can current Shimano 105 brifters (10speed) operate 9 speed Shimano MTB rear derailers? Is it likely my LBS can set this up?

    Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclist2000 View Post
    I thought that you would use a 9 speed mtb derailluer with the 10 speed 105 shifters. I am using a the ST-5603 with a 9 speed mtb derailuer on my touring bike.
    What am I missing here?

    Anyway, to the OP, as long as the mtb derailleur is the standard high normal; this is a common pairing for touring and tandems.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,403
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    9 speed mtn bike rd will work, 10 speed mtn bike rd will not.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    San Antonio, Tx
    Posts
    11
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To make my convoluted questions more succinct; my current drivetrian is 2012 Shimano 105 including brifters, I would like 34-36 tooth capability in the rear which means I must install a MTB RD. Will my 10 speed 105 brifters work with 9 speed MTB RD? I like the Shimano LX T661 that Rivendell sells.

  6. #6
    Retro Grouch onespeedbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Santa Cruz
    My Bikes
    Yes
    Posts
    2,075
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrSparkles View Post
    To make my convoluted questions more succinct; my current drivetrian is 2012 Shimano 105 including brifters, I would like 34-36 tooth capability in the rear which means I must install a MTB RD. Will my 10 speed 105 brifters work with 9 speed MTB RD? I like the Shimano LX T661 that Rivendell sells.
    Yes, the LX T661 mtb derailleur will work with your road 105 brifters.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    My Bikes
    '''96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '12 Surly Pacer, All are 3x8,9 or 10. It is hilly around here!
    Posts
    25,469
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onespeedbiker View Post
    Yes, the LX T661 mtb derailleur will work with your road 105 brifters.
    +1. However you will have to continue to use a 10-speed cassette and chain unless you install the proper J-tek Shiftmate to allow 10-speed brifters to operate with a 9-speed cassette.

  8. #8
    Retro Grouch onespeedbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Santa Cruz
    My Bikes
    Yes
    Posts
    2,075
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HillRider View Post
    +1. However you will have to continue to use a 10-speed cassette and chain unless you install the proper J-tek Shiftmate to allow 10-speed brifters to operate with a 9-speed cassette.
    Why would the OP want to revert to 9 speeds? He has 10 speed brifters and a 10- speed cassette already and will be buying a new 10 speed mtb cassette; the only question was can the OP use a 9 speed derailleur to shift with a 10 speed cassette and the answer is yes. The problem is Shimano 10 speed derailleurs are the new Dyna-Sys, which are not compatible with the OP's 10 speed brifters, but the RP can use a Shimano 9 speed derailleur in place of the Dyan-Sys 10 speed derailleur. And the answer we both agree on is YES!

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    My Bikes
    '''96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '12 Surly Pacer, All are 3x8,9 or 10. It is hilly around here!
    Posts
    25,469
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onespeedbiker View Post
    Why would the OP want to revert to 9 speeds? He has 10 speed brifters and a 10- speed cassette already and will be buying a new 10 speed mtb cassette; the only question was can the OP use a 9 speed derailleur to shift with a 10 speed cassette and the answer is yes. The problem is Shimano 10 speed derailleurs are the new Dyna-Sys, which are not compatible with the OP's 10 speed brifters, but the RP can use a Shimano 9 speed derailleur in place of the Dyan-Sys 10 speed derailleur. And the answer we both agree on is YES!
    I fully understand and agree with what you are saying. The only reason I referenced a 9-speed cassette at all is that they are easier to find and more available in the wide range the OP wants to use. I realize shimano and SRAM sell 10-speed cassettes with 32 or larger cogs but they are pretty new on the market.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    101
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrSparkles View Post
    To make my convoluted questions more succinct; my current drivetrian is 2012 Shimano 105 including brifters, I would like 34-36 tooth capability in the rear which means I must install a MTB RD. Will my 10 speed 105 brifters work with 9 speed MTB RD? I like the Shimano LX T661 that Rivendell sells.
    Sent you a message, Mr Sparkles

  11. #11
    The Rock Cycle eofelis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Western Colorado
    My Bikes
    Salsa Vaya Ti, Specialized Ruby, Gunnar Sport, Motobecane Fantom CXX, Jamis Dragon, Novara Randonee x2
    Posts
    1,647
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onespeedbiker View Post
    Why would the OP want to revert to 9 speeds? He has 10 speed brifters and a 10- speed cassette already and will be buying a new 10 speed mtb cassette; the only question was can the OP use a 9 speed derailleur to shift with a 10 speed cassette and the answer is yes. The problem is Shimano 10 speed derailleurs are the new Dyna-Sys, which are not compatible with the OP's 10 speed brifters, but the RP can use a Shimano 9 speed derailleur in place of the Dyan-Sys 10 speed derailleur. And the answer we both agree on is YES!
    Yes, it will work. My Specialized Ruby road bike has 10sp Ultegra 6600 sti shifters and a 9sp XT Shadow rd on a 10sp 11-36 cassette. It works perfectly. We have a few hills here in Colorado.
    My bf set this up. He has also set up some friend's bikes like this (Ult & 105 10sp sti's).
    Gunnar Sport
    Specialized Ruby
    Salsa Vaya Ti
    Novara Randonee x2
    Motobecane Fantom CXX
    Jamis Dragon

  12. #12
    Collector of Useless Info
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,319
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use 10-speed brifters (microshift and shimano ultegra) successfully with 9-speed MTB derailleurs (Deore LX) *and* 9-speed cassettes. To do this, you don't need a Jtek shiftmate- all you need to do is use the "alternate cable routing" (google it) to the derailleur and set the limit screws correctly.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •