Hi Fellow Bicyclists. I am new to this forum. I have been a bicyclist most of my life however, its a been a while since I rode regularly. I am intending to to get back to riding on a regular basis. I have purchased a Lemond Chambery Aluminium frame. Its in wonderful condition. It has arrived minus bottom bracket but with Time Stiletto forks and Chris King Headset. I intend to equip with Shimano or alternative components, probably Ultegra as per the original build. I have some questions.
1. Can I use more updated equipment i.e. Crankset...some of the more recent carbon fibre units like the SRAM units?
2. The bottom bracket is the first addition. I believe that originally it had a Shimano 6500 Ultegra. Can I replace with original BB or upgrade to a Chris King or what ever and what would be your recommendations?
3. The Time Stiletto forks have a line crack around the top of the forks...I think its only the paint but it worries me...reports of failing carbon forks...oooh!
3. Shifters: Lots of expense and choices here. There are some options. I am looking at these:
2010 SHIMANO ST-R700 STI 10X3 Shifter 105/ULTEGRA Grade Brake Lever Set
They are on sale at $170. I looked at the Microshift but......Any other suggestions ?
4. Wheels, hubs, cassette et al. Gosh, a helluva lotta choices here. What about cassette size? Will a ten speed fit my frame?
One last question, opinions on short cranks?
Thanks for amy suggestions. I'm pleased to be on this forum...some good advice already gleened form posts.