Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    2,054
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Cross Levers with pivoting housing stops?

    Are there any in current manufacture that have this feature ?
    'salsa halter top' levers, are a good example of what I mean; but discontinued apparently .

    needed to deal with tight routing clearances
    thanks

  2. #2
    Senior member Dan Burkhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Oakville Ontario
    Posts
    5,152
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've successfully dealt with tight routing clearances by using V brake noodles in other applications.
    Gearhubs demystified and other cool stuff.


    The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one. Elbert Hubbard.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    England, currently dividing my time between university in Guildford and home just outside Reading
    My Bikes
    Too many to list here!
    Posts
    1,896
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart View Post
    I've successfully dealt with tight routing clearances by using V brake noodles in other applications.
    There are also flexible v-brake noodles, which might help as well.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    2,859
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Besides the usual 90 degrees, noodles can be had in other bend angles such as 45 and 135 degrees and probably others.

  5. #5
    coprolite fietsbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    NW,Oregon Coast
    My Bikes
    7
    Posts
    3,219
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    QBP also has a noodle included with their cable hanger to put on the stems for cantilever setups..

    for cannibalizers..

    Nokon housing a bead and tube aluminum replacement for conventional brake and gear housing
    is also very flexible in how it bends..

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    2,054
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for replying
    actually, i already have quite a few noodles as well as flex noodles
    I prefer not to use them here, because i feel that while they enable a sharp cable bend; this is only treating the 'symptom', not the actual problem.
    the real issue is that the cable angle is deflected as the lever rotates;
    high quailty levers, such as the Salsa Halter Top avoid this by adding a pivot to the houseing stop, such that as the lever moves the cable continues to exit on the same straght path without bending.
    this allows less routing interference as well as less fatigue on the cable over time.

    does anyone know of any other levers which use this design? or of a place which might still have old stock of the Salsa Halter levers?
    ebay is giving me nothing....
    once I did see a different cross lever with this feature on a customers bike; but it was un-branded OEM....

  7. #7
    Retro Grouch onespeedbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Santa Cruz
    My Bikes
    Yes
    Posts
    2,160
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xenologer View Post
    thanks for replying
    actually, i already have quite a few noodles as well as flex noodles
    I prefer not to use them here, because i feel that while they enable a sharp cable bend; this is only treating the 'symptom', not the actual problem.
    the real issue is that the cable angle is deflected as the lever rotates;
    high quailty levers, such as the Salsa Halter Top avoid this by adding a pivot to the houseing stop, such that as the lever moves the cable continues to exit on the same straght path without bending.
    this allows less routing interference as well as less fatigue on the cable over time.

    does anyone know of any other levers which use this design? or of a place which might still have old stock of the Salsa Halter levers?
    ebay is giving me nothing....
    once I did see a different cross lever with this feature on a customers bike; but it was un-branded OEM....
    Your Salsa Halters are being sold by Bikeisland.com http://bikeisland.com/cgi-bin/BKTK_S...ls&ProdID=1314

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    2,054
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onespeedbiker View Post
    Your Salsa Halters are being sold by Bikeisland.com http://bikeisland.com/cgi-bin/BKTK_S...ls&ProdID=1314
    Thanks
    I was looking at the earlier, but have been wary since the site design looks really unproffesional. and seems to be broken anyhow..... doesnt seem to be able to add anything to 'shopping cart' for me.
    fake shop?

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Above ground, Walnut Creek, Ca
    My Bikes
    7 single speed road
    Posts
    4,386
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it's not fake. i've bought stuff from there before. and i just added those levers to a cart, so you may be having problems with your browser. i use mozilla.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    2,859
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hueyhoolihan View Post
    it's not fake. i've bought stuff from there before. and i just added those levers to a cart, so you may be having problems with your browser. i use mozilla.
    I have used BikeIsland.com as well and just added the levers to a cart in Chrome as well. You have to specify a quantity, then click "Continue" THEN click "Add to Cart" on the next page. It is a little different than most.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    230
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought a nice Nitto stem from BikeIsland, good price, fast shipping. I believe it's a part of bikesdirect.com.
    "After all is said and done, a hell lot of a lot more is said than done."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •