Trying to install rear derailleur cable. Nearing meltdown. Please help.
For the sake of my sanity and yours, I'll be as brief as possible.
- Rear XTR derailleur installed/tightened on hanger.
- No chain on bike as of now (does the chain need to be on? Tried both ways but seemed like derailleur cable needed to be installed so that derailleur could be positioned properly for chain to be threaded through both derailleurs.)
- Rear shifter shifted to lowest gear/position.
- Ran cable through housing, then through rear derailleur.
- Pulled out slack, tightened.
When I did this and tried to shift through my gears, the rear derailleur would only shift through 6 of my 9 gears. Attempts to continue shifting result in the rear derailleur acting as if it has shifted as far as it will go. No amount of tightening/loosening of the cable has helped thus far.
Does anyone have a clue what I'm doing wrong?