Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Spokane, WA
    My Bikes
    2014 Trek 520, 1990 Trek 2300 Pro, Trek 7900, '83 Trek 610 (on permanent loan)
    Posts
    89
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Kool Stop holder compatibility

    Hey all,

    I burnt through my brake pads, so to get me through I put these in the side pull calipers of my 1983 road bike:

    brake.jpg

    I'd like to throw some kool stops on there, but I'm a bit afraid of new things in the bike world, so I wanted to double check before I buy something useless

    Will one of these do the trick?

    Dura 2 Threaded Set
    X Pad

    If so, which one is better?
    If not, which one should I get?
    Are there better holder options out there?
    I'm more concerned with the ability to put new salmon brake inserts in in the future than the pads that come with the holder on the first round.

    Thanks for the assistance!

  2. #2
    coprolite fietsbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    NW,Oregon Coast
    My Bikes
    7
    Posts
    2,560
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kool stops *Continental , is fixed with a stud like that.. molded in.

    http://www.koolstop.com/english/continental.html

    the brake arm slot, of your (Unstated brakes) may be too narrow for the fancier ones,

    buying online, thats* a guaranteed fit. they are long lasting..


    I used mine a couple wet years , barely worn , any, when I sold the Bike.

    there used to be a Matthauser brake pad using that exact pad holder..
    Nut Fixed, bolt out the back..
    Last edited by fietsbob; 04-07-13 at 04:35 PM.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    New Rochelle, NY
    My Bikes
    too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter
    Posts
    22,142
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Any of the "Supra" one piece molded shoes will work at lower cost, as will the less expensive original Dura holder and pad. It's a question of what you want to spend.

    There may also be an issue relating to the thickness of the shoe measured from where it attaches to the surface of the shoe. This isn't a critical dimension, but you want to approximate it as follows, 2x thickness of shoe + rim width = width of brake arms at slot when nearly parallel. As I said there's considerable altitude, but the closer the better.
    FB
    Chain-L site

    An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

    “Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin

    “One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

    WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    My Bikes
    '''96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '12 Surly Pacer, All are 3x8,9 or 10. It is hilly around here!
    Posts
    25,981
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The pads and holders you linked to are intended for cantilever brakes. You want the road Dura-type holders and pads: http://www.koolstop.com/english/road_pad.html The combination of pad holders and pads will be more expensive initially but you only have to buy replacement pads thereafter. Also, once the holders are aligned with your rims, they don't have to be readjusted when you replace worn pads.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    29
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HillRider View Post
    The pads and holders you linked to are intended for cantilever brakes. You want the road Dura-type holders and pads: http://www.koolstop.com/english/road_pad.html The combination of pad holders and pads will be more expensive initially but you only have to buy replacement pads thereafter. Also, once the holders are aligned with your rims, they don't have to be readjusted when you replace worn pads.
    I recently got these and found that the mounting screws were too thick for my ~ 1990 Dia Compe calipers. I've got a newer bike with Cane Creek SCR3 brakes, was able toswap those carriers to the old brakes and could fit the Kool Stop carriers on the newer calipers.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    My Bikes
    '''96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '12 Surly Pacer, All are 3x8,9 or 10. It is hilly around here!
    Posts
    25,981
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tjh1960 View Post
    I recently got these and found that the mounting screws were too thick for my ~ 1990 Dia Compe calipers. I've got a newer bike with Cane Creek SCR3 brakes, was able toswap those carriers to the old brakes and could fit the Kool Stop carriers on the newer calipers.
    Yes, the bolts are slightly too large to fit in the slots of some older brakes. A file can be used to adapt the calipers with no loss of function or strength.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    29
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HillRider View Post
    Yes, the bolts are slightly too large to fit in the slots of some older brakes. A file can be used to adapt the calipers with no loss of function or strength.
    I considered that, but since the swap worked I figured it wasn't worth pursuing.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •