Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-20-05, 07:46 PM   #1
craiginho
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 71
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
bar end shifters and derailleur issues

installed shimano bar end shifters (bar cons) today w/ deore lx derailleurs and ran into some small issues. the front end doesn't shift up to the third chain ring and the rear doesn't shift to the largest of smallest cogs. the shifters don't seem extend all the way up when the cables are screwed into the anchor bolts. any ideas?
craiginho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-05, 07:53 PM   #2
Retro Grouch 
Senior Member
 
Retro Grouch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: St Peters, Missouri
Bikes: Rans Rockst (Retro rocket) Rans Enduro Sport (Retro racket) Catrike 559, Merin Bear Valley (beater bike).
Posts: 26,754
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Not to insult you by stating the obvious, but are you sure that the shifters were all the way in the smallest sprocket position when you anchored the cable? Is it possible that the derailleur limit screws are limiting the amount of derailleur travel?
Retro Grouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-05, 07:56 PM   #3
sydney
Senior Member
 
sydney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 9,428
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by craiginho
installed shimano bar end shifters (bar cons) today w/ deore lx derailleurs and ran into some small issues. the front end doesn't shift up to the third chain ring and the rear doesn't shift to the largest of smallest cogs. the shifters don't seem extend all the way up when the cables are screwed into the anchor bolts. any ideas?
Yeah, the pods that fit into the bars, the shiny chorme ring, and the shifters are all indexd to each other and have to be fitted together like a rubics cube. When assembled correctly, the shift levers should point to the ground before attachng the cables when in the small cog and small ring positions.
sydney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-05, 08:58 AM   #4
craiginho
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 71
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
Not to insult you by stating the obvious, but are you sure that the shifters were all the way in the smallest sprocket position when you anchored the cable? Is it possible that the derailleur limit screws are limiting the amount of derailleur travel?
none taken. it's my first build.
hopefully just a rookie mistake.
the shifters point to the ground and i've reset the anchor bolts several times on the granny and smallest sproket each time but get the same result.

are the derailleur limit screws the liitle scews on the derailleur for minor adjustments? i've played with those (almost to the point where they come out) but still don't reach the outer limits.
craiginho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-05, 09:02 AM   #5
craiginho
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 71
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sydney
Yeah, the pods that fit into the bars, the shiny chorme ring, and the shifters are all indexd to each other and have to be fitted together like a rubics cube. When assembled correctly, the shift levers should point to the ground before attachng the cables when in the small cog and small ring positions.
yeah, shifters point to the ground when installed.
i've taken them apart and started over again, but maybe doesn't hurt to do it again.
craiginho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-05, 09:23 AM   #6
seely
The Rabbi
 
seely's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 5,088
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
For the front, do you have enough cable tension? If you don't, it won't shift into your big ring. Also, its conceivable (to me anyways) that the amount of pull on a barcon would be slightly different and therefore require a limit adjustment.

Not shifting into the smallest rear would either be too much cable tension, or again a limit adjustment.
seely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-05, 10:08 AM   #7
Retro Grouch 
Senior Member
 
Retro Grouch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: St Peters, Missouri
Bikes: Rans Rockst (Retro rocket) Rans Enduro Sport (Retro racket) Catrike 559, Merin Bear Valley (beater bike).
Posts: 26,754
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by craiginho
none taken. it's my first build.
hopefully just a rookie mistake.
the shifters point to the ground and i've reset the anchor bolts several times on the granny and smallest sproket each time but get the same result.

are the derailleur limit screws the liitle scews on the derailleur for minor adjustments? i've played with those (almost to the point where they come out) but still don't reach the outer limits.
OK, then try this: Disconnect your front shift cable (important) and try to push the derailleur over to the biggest chainring with your finger. If it looks like it will move far enough your problem is in the shifter - it's somehow not pulling enough cable. If it won't go that far, then the problem is with the derailleur. You need to back out the high gear limit screw. It's usually marked with an "H" on the derailleur body. If that works, then follow the same procedure with your rear derailleur.
Retro Grouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-05, 12:13 PM   #8
craiginho
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 71
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
OK, then try this: Disconnect your front shift cable (important) and try to push the derailleur over to the biggest chainring with your finger. If it looks like it will move far enough your problem is in the shifter - it's somehow not pulling enough cable. If it won't go that far, then the problem is with the derailleur. You need to back out the high gear limit screw. It's usually marked with an "H" on the derailleur body. If that works, then follow the same procedure with your rear derailleur.
ok, i'll try this when i get home.
pretty sure the FD reaches the 3rd chainring.
but anything i can do if the shifter isn't pulling enough cable?
craiginho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-05, 12:20 PM   #9
sydney
Senior Member
 
sydney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 9,428
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by craiginho
but anything i can do if the shifter isn't pulling enough cable?
I've yet to see one that wouldn't, even small barrel campy friction that were likely never even intended for a triple. The Shimanos certainly will with room to spare. Best make sure you have enough travel in the derailer and the spindle isn't so long it's putting the big ring out of reach.
sydney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-05, 02:28 PM   #10
craiginho
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 71
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
is it possible that the FD is too small for the chainrings?
moved the der. around and made adjustments w/ screws and was able to get it to the third chain ring, but then couldn't get it to the granny even when the cable was detached from the anchor bolt.
craiginho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-05, 05:28 PM   #11
Retro Grouch 
Senior Member
 
Retro Grouch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: St Peters, Missouri
Bikes: Rans Rockst (Retro rocket) Rans Enduro Sport (Retro racket) Catrike 559, Merin Bear Valley (beater bike).
Posts: 26,754
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by craiginho
is it possible that the FD is too small for the chainrings?
moved the der. around and made adjustments w/ screws and was able to get it to the third chain ring, but then couldn't get it to the granny even when the cable was detached from the anchor bolt.
OK. It sounds to me like you're getting closer. Now find the screw marked "L" on your front derailleur and, with the cable still disconnected, back it out until the derailleur cage lines up with your granny chainring.

After you get that done, make sure that your shifter is in it's lowest gear position, grab the shift cable with needle nose pliers so that you can pull out all of the slack and reconnect it to your derailleur. Then try a few shifts and see what happens.
Retro Grouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-05, 07:29 PM   #12
sydney
Senior Member
 
sydney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 9,428
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
OK. Now find the screw marked "L" on your front derailleur and, with the cable still disconnected, back it out until the derailleur cage lines up with your granny chainring.

After you get that done, make sure that your shifter is in it's lowest gear position, grab the shift cable with needle nose pliers so that you can pull out all of the slack and reconnect it to your derailleur. Then try a few shifts and see what happens.
Better yet, put the chain on the small ring and big cog in back and adjust the low limit screw so there is .5 to 1mm of clearance between the chain and the inner cage plate of the FD. Then attach the cable with minimum slack. www.parktool.com has the drill in the repair section.
sydney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-05, 09:26 PM   #13
craiginho
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 71
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
OK. It sounds to me like you're getting closer. Now find the screw marked "L" on your front derailleur and, with the cable still disconnected, back it out until the derailleur cage lines up with your granny chainring.

After you get that done, make sure that your shifter is in it's lowest gear position, grab the shift cable with needle nose pliers so that you can pull out all of the slack and reconnect it to your derailleur. Then try a few shifts and see what happens.
in order to get this to work i tightened the hell out of the screw.
it got so tight i couldn't shift it at one point.

was able to adjust the RD with no problem and it shifts like a dream which make me think even more that i'm going to do damage to the FD.
craiginho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-05, 10:06 AM   #14
craiginho
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 71
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i got it!
thanks for your advice.
one thing that was hanging me up was the way i set the anchor bolt.
setting it while the FD spacer was in and the chain was on the large CR makes it shift a lot easier than when you set it on the small CR. it might go against the rules, but it worked.
craiginho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-05, 10:26 AM   #15
Retro Grouch 
Senior Member
 
Retro Grouch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: St Peters, Missouri
Bikes: Rans Rockst (Retro rocket) Rans Enduro Sport (Retro racket) Catrike 559, Merin Bear Valley (beater bike).
Posts: 26,754
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by craiginho
i got it!
thanks for your advice.
one thing that was hanging me up was the way i set the anchor bolt.
setting it while the FD spacer was in and the chain was on the large CR makes it shift a lot easier than when you set it on the small CR. it might go against the rules, but it worked.
Hmmm. I never thought of that. Maybe I'll try it that way next time I install a new front derailleur. I hope that I never get to the point that I stop learning new things.
Retro Grouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-05, 10:31 AM   #16
sydney
Senior Member
 
sydney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 9,428
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by craiginho
i got it!
thanks for your advice.
one thing that was hanging me up was the way i set the anchor bolt.
setting it while the FD spacer was in and the chain was on the large CR makes it shift a lot easier than when you set it on the small CR. it might go against the rules, but it worked.
Backwards, but whatever. Doin it the right way has never failed.
sydney is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:05 PM.