Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    How can I find the size of my Bottom Bracket?

    Hello all,

    I have an old (10 year old) cannondale Delta V 1000. I will be wanting to find the replacement bottom bracket. How do I find the size, short of stripping the bike?

  2. #2
    My bike's better than me! neil0502's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Northern Colorado
    My Bikes
    (2) Moots Vamoots, (1) Cannondale T2000 tourer, (1) Diamondback Response Comp mtb
    Posts
    2,041
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How's this for some "maybe" info:

    It's probably a Suntour bb. Take a look here:

    http://www.firstflightbikes.com/suntour.htm

    and here:

    http://www.firstflightbikes.com/DV1000.htm

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Minnesota
    My Bikes
    Cannondale M2000 and Trek 970
    Posts
    100
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I contacted Cannondale when I replaced the BB on my old M2000 and they told me what size it was.

  4. #4
    Senior Member sydney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    9,428
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jaybo
    Hello all,

    I have an old (10 year old) cannondale Delta V 1000. I will be wanting to find the replacement bottom bracket. How do I find the size, short of stripping the bike?
    It's so easy to measure. BB shell width on the frame and pull the crank and measure the spindle length. Quicker and more certain than trying to sort all the guesses and wheat from chaff.

  5. #5
    cyclist/gearhead/cycli... moxfyre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    DC / Maryland suburbs
    My Bikes
    Homebuilt tourer/commuter, modified-beyond-recognition 1990 Trek 1100, reasonably stock 2002-ish Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo
    Posts
    4,172
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sheldon Brown to the rescue as usual... you can measure all the relevant parts of the spindle correctly using a handy diagram:

    http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/botto...ets.html#axles



    As sydney pointed out, you can measure (B) from the frame. You should take the cranks off so that you can measure the overall length and the widths of the two sides carefully.

    The drive-side width (C) is pretty important because it affects how the chainrings line up with the front derailer and with the rear cogs.
    My bikes | Linux and Python stuff | Photo gallery

    Sheldon Brown, I miss you. Thanks for the advice, ideas, humor, and infectious enthusiasm for everything bikes...

  6. #6
    Senior Member sydney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    9,428
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moxfyre
    Sheldon Brown to the rescue as usual... you can measure all the relevant parts of the spindle correctly using a handy diagram:

    http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/botto...ets.html#axles



    As sydney pointed out, you can measure (B) from the frame. You should take the cranks off so that you can measure the overall length and the widths of the two sides carefully. That way you'll get the best fit.
    Irrevelent if it's a cartridge type, which it probably is.

  7. #7
    cyclist/gearhead/cycli... moxfyre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    DC / Maryland suburbs
    My Bikes
    Homebuilt tourer/commuter, modified-beyond-recognition 1990 Trek 1100, reasonably stock 2002-ish Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo
    Posts
    4,172
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sydney
    Irrevelent if it's a cartridge type, which it probably is.
    10 years old? I'd say iffy...
    My bikes | Linux and Python stuff | Photo gallery

    Sheldon Brown, I miss you. Thanks for the advice, ideas, humor, and infectious enthusiasm for everything bikes...

  8. #8
    Senior Member sydney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    9,428
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moxfyre
    10 years old? I'd say iffy...
    I wouldn't.That only makes it 1995. I've seen lots older stuff with cartridges in common usage.

  9. #9
    Gone, but not forgotten Sheldon Brown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Newtonville, Massachusetts
    My Bikes
    See: http://sheldonbrown.org/bicycles
    Posts
    2,301
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jaybo
    I have an old (10 year old) cannondale Delta V 1000. I will be wanting to find the replacement bottom bracket. How do I find the size, short of stripping the bike?
    See my Bottom Bracket Size page http://sheldonbrown.com/bbsize

    It will be a normal English/ISO 68 mm bottom bracket, but the spindle length will depend on what kind of crankset you've got.

    If the chart shows a choice, go for the longer option, Cannondales generally have plump seat tubes.
    Code:
    +---------------------------------------------+
    |    Television:                              |
    |        A medium. So called because it is    |
    |        neither rare nor well done.          |
    |                         --Ernie Kovacs      |
    +---------------------------------------------+
    [COLOR=blue][CENTER][b]Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts[/b]
    Phone 617-244-9772, FAX 617-244-1041
    [URL= http://harriscyclery.com] http://harriscyclery.com[/URL]
    Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide
    [URL=http://captainbike.com]http://captainbike.com[/URL]
    Useful articles about bicycles and cycling
    [URL=http://sheldonbrown.com]http://sheldonbrown.com[/URL] [/CENTER] [/COLOR]

  10. #10
    Has opinion, will express
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    13,009
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheldon Brown
    See my Bottom Bracket Size page http://sheldonbrown.com/bbsize

    It will be a normal English/ISO 68 mm bottom bracket, but the spindle length will depend on what kind of crankset you've got.

    If the chart shows a choice, go for the longer option, Cannondales generally have plump seat tubes.
    Code:
    +---------------------------------------------+
    |    Television:                              |
    |        A medium. So called because it is    |
    |        neither rare nor well done.          |
    |                         --Ernie Kovacs      |
    +---------------------------------------------+
    Geez Sheldon, where do you find those nifty quotes at the end of your posts here and elsewhere. Please, please don't tell me you have a quotes book on the desk... but rather you gather them as you see them.

  11. #11
    My bike's better than me! neil0502's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Northern Colorado
    My Bikes
    (2) Moots Vamoots, (1) Cannondale T2000 tourer, (1) Diamondback Response Comp mtb
    Posts
    2,041
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rowan
    Geez Sheldon, where do you find those nifty quotes at the end of your posts here and elsewhere. Please, please don't tell me you have a quotes book on the desk... but rather you gather them as you see them.
    To quote the oft-quoted Sheldon Brown

    Quote Originally Posted by Sheldon. . . from r.b.t.
    I keep a Word file open with all of my quotes, which I have
    formatted by hand. They're in alphabetical order by author.

    Under each is a series of notations saying when I used each quote on
    which forum. This keeps me from repeating myself too often to the same
    audience.


    I simply copy and paste the pre-formatted quote into my message. When
    possible, I try to select one that bears some sort of relevance to the
    message, but can't always manage that.


    Sheldon "Copy And Paste" Brown

  12. #12
    Has opinion, will express
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    13,009
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Sheldon

  13. #13
    My bike's better than me! neil0502's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Northern Colorado
    My Bikes
    (2) Moots Vamoots, (1) Cannondale T2000 tourer, (1) Diamondback Response Comp mtb
    Posts
    2,041
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was getting late on his coast. Thought I'd help out

  14. #14
    Has opinion, will express
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    13,009
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't worry, I'm having a bit of a chuckle about it.

  15. #15
    Listen to me powers2b's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Lexus Texas
    Posts
    2,791
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He who is him has spoken.
    Enjoy

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •